Switching Between Displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaoslux

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
So i have an XFX Radeon 5770 and lately i've been reading that the 5770 and other ATI cards can read analog signal without requiring some $500 to convert the signal to digital, so i've been thinking about getting a Composite-To-DVI thing setup so i could connect my Wii directly on my 22" LCD because it's currently connected on a pretty old TV who's discolored beyond repairs and i dont normally use my computer or Wii at the same time...
But now i'm wondering if when my Wii is connected on the GPU, do i lose ALL my windows display until i unplug it? Or does the ATI Drivers have some keyboard shortcuts to switch between say, Windows and the Wii so i could keep it plugged all the time and just switch to wii display when i want to play.

TL;DR: Does the ATI Drivers allows to change between the avaible displays (CPU and Wii) without hassle?

Solution
What monitor do you have? Most LCDs have multiple display inputs (analog and digital DVI or HDMI) and you can switch between inputs on the monitor's menu. It will not affect either machine.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
What monitor do you have? Most LCDs have multiple display inputs (analog and digital DVI or HDMI) and you can switch between inputs on the monitor's menu. It will not affect either machine.

Solution

Chaoslux

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Good catch, i totally forgot that. My monitor DOES have a VGA slot, and i checked quickly and saw the "Input Signal Select" between VGA and DVI.
The art of overcomplicating simple things i guess :p

But let's take another example in case it happens in the future:
Let's say we take a PS3 with HDMI output, my monitor itself doesn't have an hdmi slot, i would have to plug it into the Radeon if i were to do something with it. How would i go in that case?

You could grab a HDMI to DVI converter but you would lose the audio, I doubt your monitor supports audio over DVI.

Chaoslux

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010

DVI's already being used for my computer itself. But the fact you suggested getting a converter to plug it on the monitor mostly answers the question that there isn't a quick way on the Radeon drivers to switch between the input it sends to the monitor. Either that or the solution requires more money than a HDMI converter would cost.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Well, its kind of pointless to connect a PS3 to a monitor without HDMI unless you use components also. You'll lose audio and that's no fun. And I'm not sure what the ATi drivers have anything to do with you switching inputs for a console independent from the PC. Unless you're thinking about plugging the PS3 through the graphics card and then display onto the screen. That isn't possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.