X64 vs x32 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
Ok i am finally moving to Windows 7. The only reason why i want to do that is because WindowsXP is limited to 4gb ram so i want to make full use of Win7

what is the fundamental difference between x64 and x32 and which one should i chose ?

Yes i know i will need to format my drive and i will lose everything i had installed on WinXP

Solution
The biggest difference is that 64 bit support more than 4GB of RAM. Since 64 bit window support more than 4GB of RAM and you want that, you don't really have a choice but to get 64 bit.

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
32-bit is x86 not x32. The main difference of course is memory and memory management. Besides the huge increase in supported RAM, 64-bit programs can use more RAM than an equivalent 32-bit one can in a 32-bit OS. Not to mention support of 64-bit programs in general. There are lots more differences but that's about all I can think of right now without resorting to wikipedia heh.

32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions

Here are answers to questions about the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.

What is the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows?

How can I tell if my computer is running a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of Windows?

Which version of Windows 7 should I install: the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version?

How do I tell if my computer can run a 64-bit version of Windows?

Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or from a 64-bit version of Windows 7 to a 32-bit version of Windows?

Can I run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit computer?

Can I run 64-bit programs on a 32-bit computer?

How can I find programs and devices that work with the 64-bit version of Windows 7?

If I'm running a 64-bit version of Windows, do I need 64-bit drivers for my devices?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/win7/windows-7-product-editions-a-comparison

no, there is a 32 bit and 64 bit version of Window 7 only.

x86 refers to Intel or AMD CPU instruction set archetecture and should not be used in describing Window version.

The thing that x86 is related to 64bit OS is that the 64 bit OS require x86-64 instruction set to run. Intel and AMD cpu sold now are all x86-64 capable.

x86/x64bit CPU for x32/64bit Windows - Is that what u thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.