8GB of Memory Installed, Computer only Recognizes 4GB.

kentgrav

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Ok so a little background info. I am using a MSI X58 Platinum 1366 Socket MS-7522 MoBo. I have an Intel i7 920 Processor. 8 GB of 1600Mhz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory.

I recently upgraded my computers Memory, installed a new power supply, and installed a new liquid cooled CPU cooler by corsair and moved all my components into a bigger and better Chassis. Before I did this upgrade I had 6GB of 1600Mhz DDR3 Triple Channel memory. And my Bios and Computer Recognized all 6GB of it.

After my upgrade and reinstallation of Windows my computer only recognizes 4GB of the 8GB I have seated. Now this is what I have done so far in order to fix it.

Reseated the RAM 5 Times.
Reinstalled the previous 6 GB of RAM (Still only 4GB was detected by the BIOS)
Checked my Resource Monitor and There is only 4GB total, none is reserved.
Attempted to update BIOS (No updates available)
Searched for "Memory Remapping" option in BIOS but could not find one
Removed all DIMM slots and Removed CPU and reseated the CPU
Checked Advanced Boot Features in MSCONFIG and no options were checked

I hit a wall, and can't find anything else on the internet that can help me figure this out. Can anyone help me out? I would greatly appreciate it.

jranger

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Are all dimm's the same timing, check sticker on side of stick, should be something like 9-9-9-24 or similar, all sticks should be the same, second.... install in ram slots a0, a1, b0, c0

J

kentgrav

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Yes DIMMs were the same timing. Turns out after playing around with it that DIMM 3 on my motherboard is shot I guess. Or its not detecting anything. Computer is recognizing all 8GB now but I am using DIMM 1 and 5. Instead of 1 and 3

But my question is this. My Motherboard guide says that for Dual Channel Configuration I have to put the Sticks in DIMM 1 & 3 and for triple channel I have to use 1, 3, and 5. Will setting up dual channel configuration in 1 and 5 hurt anything? Do I have any disadvantage doing it this way?

jranger

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
if ur missing a, b or c.. it becomes dual channel... or single channel is just 'a' is used... check the ram population guide in manual... specific is for 3 channel, a0,b0,c0 have to be used, any additional ram needs to follow this sequence in a1,b1,c1 from a to maintain channels

also, it may have to interleave channel 0 and 2 creating a slight increase in latency... not much, but because its using 2 of 3 'memory lanes' out of sequence, it is changing how the bios sees the memory and working around the middle 'mem lane' .. check to see if there is any issue inside the dimm socket first, might be a missing seat pin or one that was moved out of its seating groove.. if one is missing a new dimm socket will be required, if its just a pin out of alignment, might be adjustable, otherwise its the socket not soldered properly or something above the socket point.. only if ur technically inclined should you try soldering the 'b' bank and very much time consuming making sure that there is no interconnection on the solder points..

jranger

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
or better yet, if it is still under warranty.. get it fixed through them.. only time you should bring to ouside tech is when warranty if done.. hope i didn't complicate things/// also don't know if it will hurt anything, technicaly is shouldn't and there is a red led next to c0,c1 dimm slot that should light up if anything is incorrect, if it lights and still works... get in touch with MSI with regards to this, you might want to check with MSI in either case

kentgrav

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Right I know how the Memory "SHOULD" be. I have revised the owners manual with this. But the 3rd DIMM slot does not work. So I have it in DIMM 1 and 5 instead of 1 and 3. So its (Empty, Full, Empty, Empty, Empty, Full, Empty, Empty). Computer seems to work fine, LED next to the RAM slots is fine. Games seem to run fine, computer runs smooth. BIOS recognizes all 8GB. I am using Dual Channel Configuration now instead of the previous Triple Channel.

I don't feel like I'm technically inclined enough to start soldering stuff. But I've had the MoBo for over 2 1/2 years now. I doubt it is still under warranty. And even if it is. I feel like I would rather just buy a new one if it came down to it then deal with getting it fixed.

My only real question at this point is what effect does this have on my system? I will check to see if any of the Pins are bent inside the slot. Also does anyone know if overclocking the Processor would have any effect on a DIMM slot going bad?

A common issue with those that get 'Dual Channel' kits for a 'Tri Channel' MOBO is that they use the WRONG DIMM slots. Also, if Kit 1 is in any way different than Kit 2 then you chance of problems is exponential.

Dual Channel installation:
DDR3_GA.jpg

Failure - Clear CMOS -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

kentgrav

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
You didn't read the whole thread. But I know what DIMM slots the RAM is "Suppose" to go in. My problem is DIMM_3 Doesn't work. So I put it in DIMM_5. And I'm wondering what disadvantage this has over putting it in DIMM_3? Everything seems to be running fine.

Dim slot 1 and 5 should be "ok" you should be getting dual channel mode. There will be some performance loss, but its the kind you mostly see on benchmarks....

1 and 3 would be the same dual channel too. so no loss using 5 since 3 is not working.

In some cases, this non working slot is caused by a bent motherboard pin the the cpu LGA.

kentgrav

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
When I moved back to the States from the U.K. in transit at some point my COmputers Heat sink had fell off and was banging around inside the Case for over a full month until it arrived here. So I'm thinking it damaged something on the motherboard. Either that or I damaged it overclocking the CPU, I'm not really sure.