Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Possible SSD malfunction

Last response: in Storage
Share
February 23, 2013 7:43:09 PM

Last night while playing some video games my screen just froze and the sound got caught so i thought nothing of it and just restarted my computer. everything started fine i booted the game and then 5 min later the same thing happened. I decided to wait till the morning to try turning it back on and yet it still will load and then slowly degrade until nothing is usable. im not sure what the problem is. im leaning towards the SSD since ive had problems with it before but i thought i had fixed them by replacing the SATA cable but now this is happening. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

More about : ssd malfunction

a c 523 G Storage
February 23, 2013 8:16:32 PM

Sounds like you have a video card drivers problem more than a SSD problem.

Uninstall your drivers and reboot; allowing Windows to install its own default drivers, then see if your problem still persists.
m
0
l
February 23, 2013 8:23:36 PM

Dereck47 said:
Sounds like you have a video card drivers problem more than a SSD problem.

Uninstall your drivers and reboot; allowing Windows to install its own default drivers, then see if your problem still persists.


Would Video drivers also cause the ssd to not show in the boot options unless I do a complete shutdown and not just hit the reset button. I would think it was video driver problems but the screen doesent just freeze all together everything slowly locks up and stops responding I can still move the mouse and such.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 523 G Storage
February 23, 2013 8:34:59 PM

hyperstalker said:
Would Video drivers also cause the ssd to not show in the boot options unless I do a complete shutdown and not just hit the reset button.


No, those symptoms point to the SSD. :( 

Update your SSD's firmware to its latest version. Also update your mothboard's BIOS to its latest version.

See if that helps.
m
0
l
February 23, 2013 8:42:00 PM

lol just as i figured ive had problems with this thing for months as soon as i think i fix it something else pops up. its gonna be kinda hard installing new stuff considering i get about maybe a 5-10 min window or less that the computer will actually run before slowly degrading. yea on the system browser in my BIOS the sata port shows nothing is there unless i shut my computer completely down. is there anyway i can check the ssd?
m
0
l
a c 523 G Storage
February 23, 2013 8:44:39 PM

When you installed the O/S on your SSD was the SATA port in AHCI mode in your motherboard's BIOS?
m
0
l
February 23, 2013 8:44:57 PM

hyperstalker said:
Would Video drivers also cause the ssd to not show in the boot options unless I do a complete shutdown and not just hit the reset button. I would think it was video driver problems but the screen doesent just freeze all together everything slowly locks up and stops responding I can still move the mouse and such.



I had similar problem with one of my SSD. You can try to copy a large file from SSD to hard drive or some other media. It is likely be SSD problem if the transfer rate starts great and then decrease over time until the transfer rate hits zero. Your mouse would still response to you, but the system would not response because the operation system is waiting for data from file system which never comes. I changed the SSD and everything went back to normal.
m
0
l
February 23, 2013 9:02:03 PM

Dereck47 said:
When you installed the O/S on your SSD was the SATA port in AHCI mode in your motherboard's BIOS?

yes. this isnt a fresh install its been running for about 4 months i use to have a problem where it wouldnt even get past the windows boot screen but i switched cables and that seemed to fix it now im dealing with this.
m
0
l
February 23, 2013 9:03:11 PM

meowkung said:
I had similar problem with one of my SSD. You can try to copy a large file from SSD to hard drive or some other media. It is likely be SSD problem if the transfer rate starts great and then decrease over time until the transfer rate hits zero. Your mouse would still response to you, but the system would not response because the operation system is waiting for data from file system which never comes. I changed the SSD and everything went back to normal.

i have a gadget that shows the usage of the ssd and your right it runs peaks at a 100% for a while and then drops to about 1-10% and then hits 0. i tried running a chkdsk but it hung at file 17303 which it ised to do when it would get past windows boot. my best bet is a bad ssd so im going to order a new one and hopefully it will go better. if anybody has more info on how i could possibly fix this one i would really appreciate it.
m
0
l
!