Building pc need a mother board out of these four which seems right?

kikiking

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
I am looking to build a pc, out of these mother boards which would be the best? Keep into account I attend to Crossfire with x5850's, x6850's, x6870's, and or maybe x6970's. IN the first two PCI express 2.0 slots, both of these cards would need to go. My question is would there be enough space to put them side by side? This is what I am mostly worried about with mother boards, Xfire and the cards fitting and not taking away all PCI, or pcie slots for peripherals. Whether that be Fan cards, or Wireless adapters, sound cards, or what ever else I may need! Which would be the safest bet?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614&cm_re=P6X58D-_-13-131-614-_-Product

-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128456&Tpk=GA-X58-USB3 I have feeling I may get told to skip this one and go with the next one LOL
-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-128-423&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

Kind of skeptical with this board.... it seems some reviews said they could not read more than 6gb of ram though maybe it needs a bios update?

-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130289&cm_re=Big_Bang-XPower-_-13-130-289-_-Product
This nly bothers me for the lack of slots...

my problem with last one one pci e slot and it seems it is for a special sound card. What would I do if I needed a wireless adapter? go usb wireless n adapter I assume? also seems like there were memory issues with some people, and of course one way to probably fix this is maybe flashing the bios?

Please share advice..

Solution
I would go with the Sabertooth, you said that your only getting a price but of 40 dollars if you bundle it, that still leaves the p6x58D at 248, while if you buy them sepretly your going to get the Sabertooth at 199.99. That seems like saving money to me. Although combos can be a good thing, don't buy the combo if it only saves you a a few bucks. In this case your losing 40 dollars if you buy the combo.

kikiking

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
I should have mentioned i am not buying them from Newegg, all four of those are apart of bundle savings if purchased with an I7-950 from a certain site or store. forty dollar bundle savings and also 50 dollars instant savings on the i7 processor.

So out of those >_> what would your recommend that had enough room to put 2 xfire type cards on them?

See my feeling and gut tells me the first and third one will be alright for this along with having extra pci slots and or pcie xi slots left over.

HeyImGodly

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
Im leaning towards the Asus or MSi mobo. but the MSI won seems just like over kill. i mean 6 PCi Slots? thats insane.. then i again i love overkill... :)

also any of these boards will work Perfect for XFire.

kikiking

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

The problem I have with xfire and those boards... is when looking at the slots. does it matter where it is?

I mean this.

pcie 2.0 1_X16 pcie 2.0 2 x16 pcie 2.0 3 X8

If I get amd 6xxx series and I put it in the first picie slots there is a chance the second card can not fit in the second pice slot I'd have to put it in the third...... and would it not be at x8?

Example this is from the details of the gigabyte UDR3

2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (PCIEX16_1/PCIEX16_2) (Note 1)
2 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8_1/PCIEX8_2) (Note 2)

(Note 1) For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16_1 slot; if you are installing two PCI Express graphics cards, it is recommended that you install them in the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots.

(Note 2) The PCIEX8_1 and PCIEX8_2 slots share bandwidth with the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots espectively. When PCIEX8_1 is populated with an expansion card, the PCIEX16_1 slot will operate at up to x8 mode; when PCIEX8_2 is populated with an expansion card, the PC IEX16_2 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

the two MBO's I posted have spaces between them so they are not the issue... the issue lies with these two, if the PCI 2.0's are so cramped up next to each other, then there is no way to put a x5800 series or x6800-x6900 series next to each other because mos likely the first card might overlap the second no? Does anyone have these boards? or know if the cards can fit? if they do there is no issues right? but the last one only has one PCIE 1x it is over kill and mainly for OCers, I can OC but that is over board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423&cm_re=GA-X58A-UD3R-_-13-128-423-_-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130289&cm_re=Big_Bang-XPower-_-13-130-289-_-Product

They care right next to each other unless I am making too much of a bg deal.... mainly concerning the X58A-UD3R, the cards may not be that big and both can fit or should I go to the previous ones that have spaces and more PCI slots or pcie 1.0's?

mk-ultra

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
You said 40 dollars savings? Well this motherboard is cheaper then everyother one you posted, but does all the work and has plenty of room for a wireless adapter and sound card. Check out the Sabertooth http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131665&cm_re=sabertooth-_-13-131-665-_-Product . It also has USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s, supports Quad CrossFireX with 5970's, and its reviews are great (ex. http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-tuf-sabertooth-x58-review/20 ) . If you ask me you should go with it.

kikiking

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
well they are cheaper at the other site come to think about it it has a store near where I love also. The two mobo's I decided on are cheaper, and only the four I listed come with that deal. an I7-950 50$ instant savings and bundled with one of the four you save 40 dollars, and the gigabyte also has a rebate, the asus did not really need one. the prices are cheaper.

kikiking

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
GA-X58-USB3 LGA 1366 X58 ATX Intel Motherboard 189.99 with rebate 179.99.

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard I see these for 231.99 over there. The reason is they have open boxed deals, and what ever else.

so i7-950 -50 dollars, with a listed MBo -40 dollars bundled savings. the mother board you listed is not on there.

The only issue I can see with the Gigabyte I showed.. is I have the feeling the only pci slot will get blocked even if the two cards I use are single slot cards, thanks to the fans on them non the less, I do not know if the made the 6k series smaller and thin.

But when looking at the product you listed I may run into the same problem with the pci slot also~! but! it has several pcie that I can add peripherals to. I think the two boards I am really interested support quad no? if not oh well do not really care.

kikiking

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah it is either the asus p6X58D or ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard.

you were correct probably does not matter which one I grab...

The difference between these two is not big.... well it is one has two pic and the other has one, (saber). The saber is newer and probably does not have those issues, and the P6X58D is last year news. That is unless there has been a rev two and them fixed, this is probably why it was included in the bundle deal with the i7-950 they are the least selling...

PCI are dying, most use pcie 1x or a usb adapter and other ideal set ups for what would go there, like an A TV TURNER would and can be external and not on a pci... a fan can go in the pci slots, but it is not that serious. Sooner or later pci is going to be obsolete. I can only think of a sound card and wireless adapters you can get USB N series ones, or usb adapter ones with long atennea ranges.

the older asus board on both those sites are not rev two, and I think the only difference would be it being minimal along with the newer bios.

mk-ultra

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
I would go with the Sabertooth, you said that your only getting a price but of 40 dollars if you bundle it, that still leaves the p6x58D at 248, while if you buy them sepretly your going to get the Sabertooth at 199.99. That seems like saving money to me. Although combos can be a good thing, don't buy the combo if it only saves you a a few bucks. In this case your losing 40 dollars if you buy the combo.

Solution

kikiking

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
now concerning this Crosshair IV Formula Socket AM3 890FX ATX Motherboard for a AMD build there is no pcie for additional cards and from what I see the graphics cards if dual slot will block the sound cards and >_> a place for the adapter....

Can someone think of a AMD type MOBO ASUS, or lets say Gigabyte I prefer asus... that has a combo of both pci, and pcie 1x where this will not be an issue, including space for the dual Video cards x16 1 and x16 2 just like the asus crosshair?

I feel this is a good board but both may get blocked..... pci slots and this only has two pci slots no pcie 1x. It is an issue if wanting to put a sound card and wireless adapter.

and I know about usb adapters but you never know.. AMD is for a friend , the intel is intended for me...

kikiking

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

Yes I Understand you were a big help, concerning my post about, can you reply to that also >_< the site I was looking at and will buy all my parts from has the AMD board I mentioned but when I thought about it it may not have access for PCI slots after my friends decides to put two cards in xfire mode.

I feel that Crosshair IV Formula Socket AM3 890FX ATX Motherboard is a good board but it is getting kind of old, may want to get a better asus board that came out recently, and is similar to it, as I said before thou pci is dying out.. but it does not even have a single pcie 1x... this is more for OC and you can get a better board for that, but no sound card and extra slots does not help...

I do not even know if he would get a dual card or single, dual card would be the better one for obvious reasons and if one of those slots wind up not blocked it is a miracle!!!!!!!!!!

edit:

M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Socket AM3 890 ATX Motherboard

Asus M4A87TD/USB3 Socket AM3 870 Motherboard

Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/U Socket AM3 880G ATX Motherboard

these like crosshair are phenom II x2-x6 core compatible.

But M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Socket AM3 890 ATX Motherboard is the only good one here, and crosshair. But I do not like these because of the lack of crossfire support and they do not seem to have good x16 2.0 ports.

If you know of good and current ASUS boards that I may probably find at new egg and that other site for AMD am3, and future proof or similar to the crosshair I'd really like your help :D.

M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Socket AM3 890 ATX Motherboard looks like the best here... for some reason the AMD am3 boards are lacking ;/.

HeyImGodly

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010

This board has tons of features for an AMD build, also if you are gonna go AMD you don't need 1600 RAM 1333 Will do just fine and most people cant tell the difference if the ram is sub-CL9