Sign in with
Your question

Good PC Bad PC?

Last response: in Systems
November 13, 2010 6:44:08 AM

Hi guys I have recently ordered a new PC and wanted to hear your opinions and recomendations. The components are as follows CPU: Intel Core I7 930 LGA 1366 Motherboard: P6X58D-E Asus X58 LGA 1366 Graphics Card: Asus Nvidia GTX 460 1Gb DDR5 Hard Drives: 2x 500Gb Seagate SATA 2 HDD 7200rpm Memory: 2x 2Gb Kingston Hyperx 1800Mhz Optical Drive: LG 22x Lightscribe DVD writer Power Supply: Coolermaster GX 750 Watt Software: Windows 7 64bit Case: Gigabyte Setto1020 Full ATX Case And a second question: I went on some website just before writing this (http://www.bigbruin.com/content/asusp6x58d-e_1) and saw that the memory standard for the motherboard (P6X58D-E Asus X58 LGA 1366) are DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066. Will this be a problem for my 1800MHz memory? Any comments or opinions will be appriciated...

More about : good bad

November 13, 2010 6:47:09 AM

The components are as follows

CPU: Intel Core I7 930 LGA 1366
Motherboard: P6X58D-E Asus X58 LGA 1366
Graphics Card: Asus Nvidia GTX 460 1Gb DDR5
Hard Drives: 2x 500Gb Seagate SATA 2 HDD 7200rpm
Memory: 2x 2Gb Kingston Hyperx 1800Mhz
Optical Drive: LG 22x Lightscribe DVD writer
Power Supply: Coolermaster GX 750 Watt
Software: Windows 7 64bit
Case: Gigabyte Setto1020 Full ATX Case

And a second question:
I went on some website just before writing this (http://www.bigbruin.com/content/asusp6x58d-e_1) and saw that the memory standard for the motherboard (P6X58D-E Asus X58 LGA 1366) are DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066. Will this be a problem for my 1800MHz memory?
November 13, 2010 7:20:10 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Systems by Buwish
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 13, 2010 7:25:38 PM

1) X58 motherboards have 6 ram slots, which are best configured for 6gb triple channel. You will be operating in dual channel mode with only two sticks. Get a 6gb kit in 3 x 2gb form.
2) DDR3 1800 ram is normal ram that can be overclocked . There is no need to pay extra for it. The i7-930 memory controller is so good that you will perform about as well with 1333 ram. Total application difference or FPS might be 1-3%. Synthetic benchmarks will shine though.
3) Why 2 500gb drives? I hope not for raid.
Raid-0 will give you better synthetic sequential performance, but real world performance is probably not as good as a single 1tb drive.
4) If you want drive performance, budget $100 for a SSD for the OS and apps. Then a larger slower drive can be used for backup and storage.
5) If you are thinking about raid-1 for safety, then consider:
The value of raid-1 and it's variants like raid-5 for protecting data is that you can recover from a hard drive failure quickly.
It is for servers that can't afford any down time.
Recovery from a hard drive failure is just moments.
Fortunately hard drives do not fail often.
Mean time to failure is claimed to be on the order of 1,000,000 hours.(100 years)
Raid-1 does not protect you from other types of losses such as viruses,
software errors,raid controller failure, operator error, or fire...etc.
For that, you need EXTERNAL backup.
If you have external backup, and can afford some recovery time, then you don't need raid-1.
6) There are better 750w PSU's. Here is a respected review:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
The XFX 750 is a better unit:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
7) What resolution are you gaming at? If it is at 1080P or higher, look at a stronger graphics card like the GTX470 or better.
November 20, 2010 7:19:00 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will try and reply as best I can in the order that you numbered.

1) It was extremely difficult to get hold of the Asus X58 motherboard so I went with the Asus Rampage III Formula ROG instead because they had it in stock and I needed the PC quite urgently.

2) The memory I will upgrade to 6Gb or 8Gb later on, as for now the 4Gb should be suffice.

3) 2x 500Gb because like you said if one crashed the other is still there as back up.
I am not very familiar with PC terminology, so I do not understand what you mean with Raid-0, Raid-1 etc? Would you mind explaining what that means?

4) I will probably switch to an SDD drive in the future for the OS and apps but I still have to do some more vacation work to be able to afford it as I am still studying
(mechanical engineering).

5) Again the terminology. Raid?

6) What is the difference between the 2 power supplies? They both seem to kick out 750W..

7) The Asus GTX 460 1Gb was also a bit of a nightmare to get hold of here in the part of the world where I live so again I went with what they had in stock.
The grapics card is now an Asus 5870 2Gb Matrix ROG.
The screen I am using is an LG 23" Full HD 1080p and so far I've been gaming on 1920x1080 and the graphics card has seemed to handle it with relative ease.

The computer will not only be used for gaming. I also use it for CAD (Computer Aided Design), FEM/FEA (Finite Element Modeling/Analysis) and CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics). The latter was why I needed the new PC urgently.
November 20, 2010 7:45:34 PM

DamienBlackburn said:
Thanks for the advice. I will try and reply as best I can in the order that you numbered.

1) It was extremely difficult to get hold of the Asus X58 motherboard so I went with the Asus Rampage III Formula ROG instead because they had it in stock and I needed the PC quite urgently.

2) The memory I will upgrade to 6Gb or 8Gb later on, as for now the 4Gb should be suffice.

3) 2x 500Gb because like you said if one crashed the other is still there as back up.
I am not very familiar with PC terminology, so I do not understand what you mean with Raid-0, Raid-1 etc? Would you mind explaining what that means?

4) I will probably switch to an SDD drive in the future for the OS and apps but I still have to do some more vacation work to be able to afford it as I am still studying
(mechanical engineering).

5) Again the terminology. Raid?

6) What is the difference between the 2 power supplies? They both seem to kick out 750W..

7) The Asus GTX 460 1Gb was also a bit of a nightmare to get hold of here in the part of the world where I live so again I went with what they had in stock.

The grapics card is now an Asus 5870 2Gb Matrix ROG.
The screen I am using is an LG 23" Full HD 1080p and so far I've been gaming on 1920x1080 and the graphics card has seemed to handle it with relative ease.

The computer will not only be used for gaming. I also use it for CAD (Computer Aided Design), FEM/FEA (Finite Element Modeling/Analysis) and CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics). The latter was why I needed the new PC urgently.

1) The rampage iii is a very good enthusiast motherboard. It is probably much more expensive than what you need. Are there cheaper X58 motherboards available?
2) No... Get the ram you want now. Get a 6gb kit of matched ram in a 3 x 2gb configuration. Getting a single odd stick later is not generally possible, and it exposes you to problems with mismatched ram. 6gb is a very good size. It will also give you triple channel operation vs. double, making your compute marginally faster.
3) raid = redundant array of independent/inexpensive disks. Raid-1 duplicates the contents of one drive on the other. If a drive fails, the other will seamlessly continue. It is not that useful because hard drives do not fail often.
5) raid-0 is a striped array, where alternate blocks/stripes are written to each drive. For sequential operations, this can be faster since two operations can happen in paralled. It is riskier, though, since the failure of one drive or the raid contrtoller corrupts everything
6) Read both reviews. For example, the 750W XFX can deliver 62a on the 12v rails where it matters, while the coolermaster can deliver only 60a.
7) The ASUS 5870 will be very good card, but expensive. Better than the GTX460 for gaming. If you will be using Matlab, consider the Nvidia GTX470 or GTX480 which have CUDA and can be used to enhance your computations.
November 21, 2010 9:38:13 AM

Okay thanks. I will go consider all the options again.

It's been quite a tedious process to get hold of all the components so the sales guy said he'll give the components taking so long at cost price so the motherboard works out to be just a little more expensive than the X58. The grapics card is a big jump in price unfortunately.

But thanks again for the advice
!