Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Quad Display GTX460

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 21, 2010 8:29:11 PM

Currently I have one 23" monitor on my desktop and a dlp projector on a 106" screen as my secondary display, but in the past I have had 2 desktop monitors and still wanted the projector hooked up but couldn't so more than 2 would be a benefit, I guess they went with 4 so they wouldn't seem like a johnny come lately to eyefinity.

a c 539 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 21, 2010 8:29:33 PM

I was at an event last weekend that had a car racing simulator set up; multiple monitors, race car cockpit, steering wheel, pedals, and Nvidia 3D Vision. Wow, it was awesome. But that just had 3 monitors. It seems like going to all that trouble, you're right, one big monitor or hdtv would be better. Although with extra monitors you can angle them to wrap around your head and cover more of your peripheral vision.

It seems the 4 monitor setup would result in there being a middle juncture where two monitors come together right in front of your eyes. That is opposed to a 3 monitor setup, which would have one monitor in center and two on the sides, with the junctures at the periphery of your vision.
Related resources
September 21, 2010 8:33:06 PM

17seconds said:
I was at an event last weekend that had a car racing simulator set up; multiple monitors, race car cockpit, steering wheel, pedals, and Nvidia 3D Vision. Wow, it was awesome. But that just had 3 monitors. It seems like going to all that trouble, you're right, one big monitor or hdtv would be better. Although with extra monitors you can angle them to wrap around your head and cover more of your peripheral vision.

It seems the 4 monitor setup would result in there being a middle juncture where two monitors come together right in from of your eyes. That is opposed to a 3 monitor setup, which would have one monitor in center and two on the sides, with the junctures at the periphery of your vision.

You're right, I've seen some impressive racing games using multiple monitors, and for those type of games it could make sense rather than use one big monitor. I've mostly only seen them with 3 monitors however.
And again, you're right, 4 monitors isn't exactly ideal for say, an FPS game. I think that's why this card uses 3 Display Ports and only one DVI port.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 22, 2010 1:28:05 AM

What about all those people who would buy into the Eyefinity dream but want better drivers? Don't they count?
September 22, 2010 5:19:26 AM

Sorry, what do you mean "want better drivers"?
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 22, 2010 1:20:41 PM

method320 said:
Sorry, what do you mean "want better drivers"?

Time for you to do some reading around the forums mate, if you are going to try and tell me that you've never seen anyone complain about ATi drivers then I am going to laugh at you.
September 22, 2010 1:26:41 PM

I have eyefinity setup with 3x acer x193w. Gotta say, its phenomenal.

I think 3 monitors are the best option among all.

4 or 6 displays would split the main screen and make it difficult to read whatever on the screen.
September 22, 2010 7:46:56 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Time for you to do some reading around the forums mate, if you are going to try and tell me that you've never seen anyone complain about ATi drivers then I am going to laugh at you.

I guess what I meant to ask was, what does the want for better drivers have anything to do with multiple monitors?
If you're saying they should focus more on the drivers instead of things like Eyefinity then sure, of course.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 22, 2010 7:54:09 PM

method320 said:
I guess what I meant to ask was, what does the want for better drivers have anything to do with multiple monitors?
If you're saying they should focus more on the drivers instead of things like Eyefinity then sure, of course.

In your OP you asked why people would want multiple monitors and judging by your choice of avatar I can only assume that you have a soft spot for AMD/ATi products so why ask this question and cite the Nvidia Zotac card when AMD/ATi have had cards that support more than two monitors on the market for a bit longer? Why don't you ask the question "Who wants Eyefinity?" instead.
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 22, 2010 7:58:10 PM

Is this a dual gpu board since I thought that the G104 only supports two displays and if so can this card be sli with another for quad sli? If there is two gpus and a sli connector along with a decent price this card is going to be popular.
September 22, 2010 8:05:27 PM

nforce4max said:
Is this a dual gpu board since I thought that the G104 only supports two displays and if so can this card be sli with another for quad sli? If there is two gpus and a sli connector along with a decent price this card is going to be popular.

I think it has one 104 core. not dual.

ZOTAC modified something for sure. I don't know how popular it will be, since its quite pricy ($250+), and 4 screen gaming is either not gonna be very smooth, or gonna be annoying (bezel covers up the crucial center of the game screen)

EDIT: $250 is gtx 460 1G price, I bet ZOTAC 3DP will cost more than that.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 22, 2010 8:06:07 PM

cirslevin said:
I think it has one 104 core. not dual.

ZOTAC modified something for sure. I don't know how popular it will be, since its quite pricy ($250+), and 4 screen gaming is either not gonna be very smooth, or gonna be annoying (bezel covers up the crucial center of the game screen)

Where are you getting that price from?
September 22, 2010 8:10:46 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Where are you getting that price from?

Just an averaged price of gtx460 1G, plus the consideration that this 3DP has 3 DP port, so converters are probably needed.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 22, 2010 8:15:40 PM

cirslevin said:
Just an averaged price of gtx460 1G, plus the consideration that this 3DP has 3 DP port, so converters are probably needed.

So you are just making it up then? I just want to clarify that, you don't really know what the price is so you just pull a number out of your butt and hope that people believe you?
September 22, 2010 8:24:26 PM

Mousemonkey said:
So you are just making it up then? I just want to clarify that, you don't really know what the price is so you just pull a number out of your butt and hope that people believe you?

I think I clearly edited my post before you even asked the first question as to how I reached the number, i pull it out from my reasoning, and the reasoning process is clearly presented.

people believe me or not is their own decision, I would gladly make a bet on the price being over $250 if you want to.

Made up with no reasoning behind it, and intelligent predicting, are different.
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 8:25:43 PM

Mousemonkey said:

:lol: 

on a side note, i don't see this card pushing 4 screens with playable frames when it comes to modern games.. Maybe pac-man or quake with a tad of AA :na:  ... Other than that it's a no-show..
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 22, 2010 8:27:46 PM

cirslevin said:
I think I clearly edited my post before you even asked the first question as to how I reached the number, i pull it out from my reasoning, and the reasoning process is clearly presented.

people believe me or not is their own decision, I would gladly make a bet on the price being over $250 if you want to.

Made up with no reasoning behind it, and intelligent predicting, are different.

Considering that you predicted $250+ in another thread I'll stick with my "You're pulling numbers out of your butt" comment.
September 22, 2010 8:32:35 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Considering that you predicted $260 in another thread I'll stick with my "You're pulling numbers out of your butt" comment.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/298894-33-graphics-ca...

apparently you don't even read the post.

I was commenting that if 5770 XF can work with eyefinity, then I can get 6 display solution for $260, which is 2x$130. I don't think I made any prediction on the ZOTAC GTX 460 3DP's price in that post.

so you are just pulling comments out of your butt? :non: 
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 22, 2010 8:33:12 PM

OvrClkr said:
:lol: 

on a side note, i don't see this card pushing 4 screens with playable frames when it comes to modern games.. Maybe pac-man or quake with a tad of AA :na:  ... Other than that it's a no-show..

True, but it can't be any worse than a 5770 trying to run a modern game over three screens with decent framerates.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 22, 2010 8:34:38 PM

cirslevin said:

I was commenting that if 5770 XF can work with eyefinity, then I can get 6 display solution for $260, which is 2x$130. I don't think I made any prediction on the ZOTAC GTX 460 3DP's price in that post.

I too can edit my posts. :kaola: 
September 22, 2010 8:35:57 PM

Mousemonkey said:
True, but it can't be any worse than a 5770 trying to run a modern game over three screens with decent framerates.

I run Drag Age origin on 5770 with 3 monitor eyefinity just fine.

It will depends on what monitors we are talking about, not everybody does 1080p now.
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 8:36:43 PM

Mousemonkey said:

Exactly ;) 

My question is, where does the forth monitor go? :lol: 
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 22, 2010 8:36:54 PM

cirslevin said:

cirslevin said:
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 460 3DP 1GB 256-bit (710MHz/3600MHz) [ZT-40407-10P]

you might need to pony up $250+ for this.

So you didn't make any predictions eh? :pfff: 
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 8:38:07 PM

i could see it as useful for office use where multiple monitors are used, or even daytraders... but for gaming the card if its a single 460 i doubt will have the power to run 4 monitors with good resolution and even medium settings. nothign against the 460 its a great card and might be my next buy depending on the specials vs a 5770 when i go to buy but 4 1080p monitors would mean a person has the money to buy better (or is just bad at prioritizing)
September 22, 2010 8:38:54 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I too can edit my posts. :kaola: 

now you just being naughty and dishonest. :non: 

I don't know how you can engage discussion and turn around forgot what you were talking about.... assume you are actually serious with what you are saying now.
September 22, 2010 8:40:19 PM

Mousemonkey said:
So you didn't make any predictions eh? :pfff: 

when did I say I don't make prediction again?

I said I "didn't make predict about xxx in that post", does that mean I never make prediction of xxx in other places?

You still don't read the post properly.
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 8:42:11 PM

cirslevin said:
I run Drag Age origin on 5770 with 3 monitor eyefinity just fine.

It will depends on what monitors we are talking about, not everybody does 1080p now.

Well, that game will run fine on any GPU/res. Try BC2/Warhead/Metro/Stalker/Dirt2/JC2/Mafia 2 on 3 screens with a single 5770.. Once you start cranking up the visuals the card starts to bog down, a single 5770 is on the weaker side when it comes to EF unless you play all your games at low settings which defeats the whole purpose of having a DX11 GPU.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 22, 2010 8:43:12 PM

cirslevin said:
now you just being naughty and dishonest. :non: 

I don't know how you can engage discussion and turn around forgot what you were talking about.... assume you are actually serious with what you are saying now.

You started with the editing of post crap, so if you don't like it GTFO.
September 22, 2010 8:48:37 PM

Mousemonkey said:
You started with the editing of post crap, so if you don't like it GTFO.

stop bsing, I edit that post two hours ago, and your own reply to that post seems to perfectly fine with what was being discussed. At no point in that post when I mentioned $260 as the price of ZOTAC GTX460 3DP.

In that thread, my edit was 2 minutes after my original post, before your reply, you quoted my edited post
with clear understanding of what i was saying.

now 2 hours later, you jump here and make false accusations. Anybody who read through that thread can see for themselves.

If you can't remember what you said, or what you replied too, its better just be a honest moderator, rather than start absurd accusation against members.
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 8:50:41 PM

don't make me start singing ... i'll do it

"why can't we be friends... why can't we be friends"

see there... ya made me do it
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 22, 2010 8:51:30 PM

cirslevin said:
stop bsing, I edit that post two hours ago, and your own reply to that post seems to perfectly fine with what was being discussed. At no point in that post when I mentioned $260 as the price of ZOTAC GTX460 3DP.

now 2 hours later, you jump here and make false accusations. Anybody who read through that thread can see for themselves.

If you can't remember what you said, or what you replied too, its better just be a honest moderator, rather than start absurd accusation against members.

So why did you need to edit your post then?
September 22, 2010 8:54:42 PM

Mousemonkey said:
So why did you need to edit your post then?

oh boy, I made typo!, I got new information! Surely there are alot of reasons for editing a post.

you quoted my edited post yourself with clearly understand of what I was saying! Your reply to my post containing $260 is perfectly correct with what was being discussed (CF+eyefinity).

can it be more clearer than that?

PS. Im done with this, anybody interested (I doubt it) can read this and the other thread as I linked in my previous posts. I am just gonna say Im very disappointed in how moderator behaves in this thread, and I stand by my prediction that ZOTAC GTX460 3DP will be $250+.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 22, 2010 9:30:04 PM

For everyone complaining about the bezel in the middle I doubt you are forced into a 2x2 or 4x1 setup just because the card supports 4 displays. This just gives you the optioin of a 4th display.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 22, 2010 9:40:32 PM

cirslevin said:
oh boy, I made typo!, I got new information! Surely there are alot of reasons for editing a post.

you quoted my edited post yourself with clearly understand of what I was saying! Your reply to my post containing $260 is perfectly correct with what was being discussed (CF+eyefinity).

can it be more clearer than that?

PS. Im done with this, anybody interested (I doubt it) can read this and the other thread as I linked in my previous posts. I am just gonna say Im very disappointed in how moderator behaves in this thread, and I stand by my prediction that ZOTAC GTX460 3DP will be $250+.

You might well be correct in your prediction but it's just that, a prediction as for the rest of it I don't really care what you think of me.
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 9:54:58 PM

I don't see the point in having 2 displays on the left and two on the right, if people still complain about the bezels when using EF I could only imagine what they will think about this 4 monitor capable GPU. If anything I would have preffered a 5 screen display so you can get at least one screen in the middle!
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 22, 2010 9:59:05 PM

Yes it is a tad odd but I'm sure there was some sort of reason for it, I don't know what reason but I'm sure Zotac feel that they have one.
September 22, 2010 10:14:08 PM

Mousemonkey said:
In your OP you asked why people would want multiple monitors and judging by your choice of avatar I can only assume that you have a soft spot for AMD/ATi products so why ask this question and cite the Nvidia Zotac card when AMD/ATi have had cards that support more than two monitors on the market for a bit longer? Why don't you ask the question "Who wants Eyefinity?" instead.

I have a soft spot for AMD processors. I don't quite care for ATI cards though. I own the website I linked in the OP, and was just curious as to the reasons behind using multiple monitors
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 22, 2010 10:29:26 PM

That seems even more odd to me that the owner of a tech site would not know why people might want either an increase in desktop space or the ability to have several apps running on different screens at the same time or even as can be done now gaming in mega wide-screen.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 23, 2010 12:44:55 AM

I think this card caters to a very specific crowd: Those who like to waste money.

September 23, 2010 3:21:12 AM

Mousemonkey said:
That seems even more odd to me that the owner of a tech site would not know why people might want either an increase in desktop space or the ability to have several apps running on different screens at the same time or even as can be done now gaming in mega wide-screen.

You're looking far too much into it. Of course I know why. My remaining question is the op was "What do you use" not "Why do you use it".

Obviously people would use multiple monitors for placing specific apps on each screen. And as I mentioned, most people I know that used to do that now use just one large screen.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 23, 2010 3:40:44 AM

Oh right, so you've left your site to come to this site to ask people what they are using and why? Does your site not get a lot of traffic then? :whistle: 
September 23, 2010 3:57:04 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Oh right, so you've left your site to come to this site to ask people what they are using and why? Does your site not get a lot of traffic then? :whistle: 

Well if you'd like to be a douche about it, in a sense, yes. These forums have a lot of users that pass through it and I was simply curious.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 23, 2010 6:08:31 AM

method320 said:
Well if you'd like to be a douche about it, in a sense, yes. These forums have a lot of users that pass through it and I was simply curious.

And if you wish to insult me you can have a ban.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 23, 2010 6:09:38 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!