Quad Display GTX460

Status
Not open for further replies.

method320

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Zotac announced a quad display 460 today and I'm curious, how many people would really use 4 monitors? Most people I know that used to have multiple monitors tried just one big monitor like, a 28" or larger and can't go back.

http://www.undefinednews.info/2010/09/zotac-releases-quad-display-gtx-460/

What do you use?

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Currently I have one 23" monitor on my desktop and a dlp projector on a 106" screen as my secondary display, but in the past I have had 2 desktop monitors and still wanted the projector hooked up but couldn't so more than 2 would be a benefit, I guess they went with 4 so they wouldn't seem like a johnny come lately to eyefinity.

I was at an event last weekend that had a car racing simulator set up; multiple monitors, race car cockpit, steering wheel, pedals, and Nvidia 3D Vision. Wow, it was awesome. But that just had 3 monitors. It seems like going to all that trouble, you're right, one big monitor or hdtv would be better. Although with extra monitors you can angle them to wrap around your head and cover more of your peripheral vision.

It seems the 4 monitor setup would result in there being a middle juncture where two monitors come together right in front of your eyes. That is opposed to a 3 monitor setup, which would have one monitor in center and two on the sides, with the junctures at the periphery of your vision.

method320

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008

You're right, I've seen some impressive racing games using multiple monitors, and for those type of games it could make sense rather than use one big monitor. I've mostly only seen them with 3 monitors however.
And again, you're right, 4 monitors isn't exactly ideal for say, an FPS game. I think that's why this card uses 3 Display Ports and only one DVI port.

cirslevin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I have eyefinity setup with 3x acer x193w. Gotta say, its phenomenal.

I think 3 monitors are the best option among all.

4 or 6 displays would split the main screen and make it difficult to read whatever on the screen.

method320

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008

I guess what I meant to ask was, what does the want for better drivers have anything to do with multiple monitors?
If you're saying they should focus more on the drivers instead of things like Eyefinity then sure, of course.

In your OP you asked why people would want multiple monitors and judging by your choice of avatar I can only assume that you have a soft spot for AMD/ATi products so why ask this question and cite the Nvidia Zotac card when AMD/ATi have had cards that support more than two monitors on the market for a bit longer? Why don't you ask the question "Who wants Eyefinity?" instead.

cirslevin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

I think it has one 104 core. not dual.

ZOTAC modified something for sure. I don't know how popular it will be, since its quite pricy ($250+), and 4 screen gaming is either not gonna be very smooth, or gonna be annoying (bezel covers up the crucial center of the game screen)

EDIT: $250 is gtx 460 1G price, I bet ZOTAC 3DP will cost more than that.

Where are you getting that price from?

So you are just making it up then? I just want to clarify that, you don't really know what the price is so you just pull a number out of your butt and hope that people believe you?

cirslevin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

I think I clearly edited my post before you even asked the first question as to how I reached the number, i pull it out from my reasoning, and the reasoning process is clearly presented.

people believe me or not is their own decision, I would gladly make a bet on the price being over $250 if you want to.

Made up with no reasoning behind it, and intelligent predicting, are different.

:lol:

on a side note, i don't see this card pushing 4 screens with playable frames when it comes to modern games.. Maybe pac-man or quake with a tad of AA :na: ... Other than that it's a no-show..

Considering that you predicted $250+ in another thread I'll stick with my "You're pulling numbers out of your butt" comment.

cirslevin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/298894-33-graphics-card-advice-please

apparently you don't even read the post.

I was commenting that if 5770 XF can work with eyefinity, then I can get 6 display solution for $260, which is 2x$130. I don't think I made any prediction on the ZOTAC GTX 460 3DP's price in that post.

so you are just pulling comments out of your butt? :non:

True, but it can't be any worse than a 5770 trying to run a modern game over three screens with decent framerates.

I too can edit my posts. :kaola:

cirslevin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

I run Drag Age origin on 5770 with 3 monitor eyefinity just fine.

It will depends on what monitors we are talking about, not everybody does 1080p now.

So you didn't make any predictions eh? :pfff:

Status
Not open for further replies.