Sign in with
Your question

Quad crossfire x

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 21, 2010 8:22:11 PM

Hello,
i have a motherboead with 4 pcie slots. I also have a new xfx 5770 single slot can i use 4 of these cards in crossfire x?
it only has one connector on each card, can i use one bridge on the top two, and one on the bottom 2?

More about : quad crossfire

September 21, 2010 9:07:10 PM

Most modern graphics cards, including the 5770, are "double slot" cards. They only use one slot, but they also cover the adjacent slot as well. So you wouldn't be able to use all four slots.

Also, it's virtually impossible to do Crossfire X with four distinct cards. Crossfire X is meant for two dual-GPU cards, such as the 5970, which have two graphics processing units (GPUs) in one distinct card.

So, it's technically four GPUs, but only two cards. I don't think we'll ever see a four-card system, not even in the future, as it's quite awkward and unstable.
m
l
September 21, 2010 9:32:07 PM

You'll need a quadfire bridge apparently. Also, what motherboard do you have? Only certain motherboards are capable of actually fitting all four cards like the one above.

EDIT: Oh, and, it's completely pointless to have four HD5770s in quadfire. The scaling will be horrible and a complete waste of money. Even three doesn't scale too well. Stick with two in Crossfire or upgrade to a better single card solution.
m
l
Related resources
September 21, 2010 9:51:57 PM

What board do you have? Having 4 PCIe X16 ports doesn't mean you can do Quad-fire.

With only 1 Corssfire connector, it is impossible. However, all HD5000 AMD cards with 2 Crossfire connectors can do Quadfire just fine, no special bridges involved, just one for the fist 2, another for the second and third, and a third one for the third and last card.

However, it is entirely pointless, scaling past 3 cards is absolutely horrible, sometimes adding the forth card actually decreases performance.
m
l
September 21, 2010 10:54:57 PM

skolpo said:
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3592/dsc0306bd.jpg

You'll need a quadfire bridge apparently. Also, what motherboard do you have? Only certain motherboards are capable of actually fitting all four cards like the one above.

EDIT: Oh, and, it's completely pointless to have four HD5770s in quadfire. The scaling will be horrible and a complete waste of money. Even three doesn't scale too well. Stick with two in Crossfire or upgrade to a better single card solution.

With 4x CF, you connect them differently than with SLI. You just connect the 1st to the 2nd, then the 2nd to the 3rd and the 3rd to the 4th with the normal bridges.

http://news.softpedia.com/images/news2/MSI-Goes-All-Out...
m
l
September 21, 2010 11:45:38 PM

my mobo is a asus m3a32-mvp deluxe
m
l
September 22, 2010 12:57:04 AM

skolpo said:
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3592/dsc0306bd.jpg

Holy crapola, where have I been? Well, even with those 285's the scaling is terrible.
m
l
October 3, 2010 7:40:03 PM

Duckmeister said:
Most modern graphics cards, including the 5770, are "double slot" cards. They only use one slot, but they also cover the adjacent slot as well. So you wouldn't be able to use all four slots. Also, it's virtually impossible to do Crossfire X with four distinct cards. Crossfire X is meant for two dual-GPU cards, such as the 5970, which have two graphics processing units (GPUs) in one distinct card.
So, it's technically four GPUs, but only two cards. I don't think we'll ever see a four-card system, not even in the future, as it's quite awkward and unstable.

What are you talking about? AMD created the 790FX and 890FX chipsets SPECIFICALLY for that purpose! ATi Radeon cards from the HD 2xxx and up can be crossfired with 4 cards! That is why it is called CrossfireX! Are you new or something? I have 4 ATi Radeon HD 4870s that I'm going to crossfire and here's my MSI K9A2 Platinum motherboard with the AMD 790FX chipset that I'm going to do it with:

Here's some other 790FX boards that can do it:

MSI 790FX-GD70:

ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe:

ASUS M4A79-T Deluxe:

Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DQ6:

Foxconn A79A-S:

Granted, Gigabyte ROYALLY screwed up the arrangement of the PCI-e x16 lanes so that only single-slot cards can use it like the HD 4550/4650. Foxconn and ASUS got it a bit better but only 3 double-wide cards can fit. Only MSI's arrangements are perfect for 4 double-wide cards. After I receive my 3 4870's, I'll tell you how it went. The AMD 890FX chipset also supports 4 Radeons but the mobos look pretty much the same. The difference being that the 890FX also supports SATA-6 and USB v3.0. Until the 890FX came along, the AMD 790FX stood alone as the most potent gaming platform in the PC universe. The 890FX isn't a more potent gaming platform than the 790FX but the ability to unlock disabled AMD cores, USB 3.0 and SATA-6 make it a more attractive (but far more expensive) option. To date, AMD's platforms and chipsets of the FX type have been unequalled by Intel or nVidia except that one "classified" prototype board that allows 4-way SLI. I just feel fortunate that I am one of the lucky ones to have an MSI board with FX-series chipset that has the proper PCI-e x16 lane arrangement to use four double-wide cards.
m
l
October 3, 2010 8:58:46 PM

skolpo said:
Didn't know that. Sure ain't pretty.

You can't honestly tell us that you give a damn whether the connection between video cards INSIDE the computer case is pretty. I only give a damn if it works and Crossfire WORKS. All of my Radeon cards come with a crossfire bridge and for that matter, my motherboard came with 2 longer ones. This is much easier than scrounging for SLI connectors for a Quad-SLI setup that only one limited-edition motherboard called "CLASSIFIED" supports.
m
l
!