Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

8800 GTS 320mb on a 400watt

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
  • Brother
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 21, 2010 8:22:45 PM

I realized I had my old 8800 GTS 320mb around my house and I thought I would sell it, then I thought maybe I would sell it to my brother. (I think he is on a 7600? something like that).

My brother has this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Computer case
which has a 400 Watt Power supply
Output: 400W Max.
+3.3V 20A, +5V 14A, +12V1 14A, +12V2 13A, -12V 0.3A, +5VSB 2.5A

As far as I can tell an 8800 GTS would not work with 400watts.

My brothers computer has a Pentium 4 3ghz.

Any idea if its worth letting my brother buy it, or just sell it on e-bay.

More about : 8800 gts 320mb 400watt

a c 1415 U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 8:27:28 PM

I think that PSU is to little for the 8800GTS. On a good day it might provide 20-22amps total to the combined +12 volt rail when the card needs closer to 30.
m
0
l
a c 236 U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 8:30:37 PM

it will work, that PSU has 21a on the 12v.

the card itself is rather old so you won't get much for it on ebay. you may as well be nice and give it to your brother or sell it for a beer (diet coke if you are under 21)
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 236 U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 8:33:59 PM

rolli59 said:
I think that PSU is to little for the 8800GTS. On a good day it might provide 20-22amps total to the combined +12 volt rail when the card needs closer to 30.


the 8800GTS was not that power hungry even with this system
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz
Memory: 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 @ 1556Mhz (Thanks to Corsair)
Motherboard: Asus Blitz Extreme
Disk Drive: Pioneer DVD Writer
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATAII
Fans: 5X Yate Loon 120mm @ 1200RPM


m
0
l
a c 1415 U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 8:34:32 PM

ct1615 said:
it will work, that PSU has 21a on the 12v.

the card itself is rather old so you won't get much for it on ebay. you may as well be nice and give it to your brother or sell it for a beer (diet coke if you are under 21)

This is a G80 GTS EVGA recommended "Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amps.)" PSU is only 20% under recommended on +12 volt might work.
m
0
l
a c 1415 U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 8:37:19 PM

ct1615 said:
the 8800GTS was not that power hungry even with this system
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz
Memory: 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 @ 1556Mhz (Thanks to Corsair)
Motherboard: Asus Blitz Extreme
Disk Drive: Pioneer DVD Writer
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATAII
Fans: 5X Yate Loon 120mm @ 1200RPM

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/skymtl/GPU/8800GTS/8800GTS_28.jpg

Agree though he should be nice to his brother and give it to him.
m
0
l
a c 236 U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 8:41:12 PM

rolli59 said:
This is a G80 GTS EVGA recommended "Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amps.)" PSU is only 20% under recommended on +12 volt might work.


may as well try, it will be a nice upgrade from his 7600GT
m
0
l
September 22, 2010 2:25:47 PM

I don't want to give it to my brother unless i know it works. I don't want it to hurt his PC, just because I give it away. When I had this graphic card I had a 550 so I know I was good enough. 400 seems maybe to close to try it.

what would happen if it didn't have enough power? would it just not run?

I already check, on e-bay I would be lucky to $30 (which is better then nothing).
m
0
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 3:08:59 PM

tubaloth said:
I just found this

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-8800-gts-51...

Which says the peak for the 8800 gts 320 is 267watts. That seems to be way under the 400. If that is the case it would work?

THG tested the 8800GTS 320MB at 51.9w in 2D mode, 112.1w in 3D mode and needing only 9.3 amps. I don't know where others are getting their numbers from.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-radeon-power,2122-6.html
m
0
l
a c 1415 U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 4:15:27 PM

tubaloth said:
I just found this

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-8800-gts-51...

Which says the peak for the 8800 gts 320 is 267watts. That seems to be way under the 400. If that is the case it would work?

Based on that it should work. Most of the usage is on the +12volts and your brothers PSU has 252watts available there.
To answer your other question the first sign of not enough power (apart from not enough to get it started in the first place) is instability, later it can lead to hardware failure if not corrected.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 4:17:44 PM

Rosewill usually has good PSUs, so it should work.
m
0
l
!