Sign in with
Your question

Might have a bad i5-2500k ? really confused

Last response: in CPUs
February 7, 2011 3:14:13 PM

Hi, I built my system with my friend we both have the same basic setup but my chip wont boot into windows at 4.8 stock turbo settings only 4.6 i have to enable ppl overvoltage to hit 4.8 but as for him he can boot into windows fine at 4,8 stock turbo on the same board same bios p67 asrock extreme6 1.40 bios so im really confused what so differnt that he doesnt have to enable overvoltage? cause iv read i may have gotten a lower end i5-2500k batch and should send it back before my new egg return is up what do you guys think i could really use your help on this

More about : bad 2500k confused

a c 103 à CPUs
February 7, 2011 3:26:49 PM

The same 2 chips with the same board 2 boards will not alwways overclock the same
m
l
February 7, 2011 3:33:48 PM

right but its weird non the less its stock turbo settings so why wouldnt it ?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2011 3:45:06 PM

There shouldn't be any confusion here. Overclocking is not guaranteed and your buddy got a better chip than you did. Just enable the CPU PLL Overvoltage and be done with it -- as long as it's stable who cares?

If you want to return it to NewEgg, you'll have to pay a 15% restocking fee. Is it worth paying for return shipping and the extra 15%? If you get a different chip, it may only overclock to 4.3 or 4.4GHz (I've seen two on here that are like that). You'd be taking a chance there.

Edit: My 2500K on an ASRock P67 Pro3 mainboard works fine using the Turbo 4.8GHz setting in the BIOS, but a friend with the same chip on an ASUS mainboard can't get his over 4.6GHz at all no matter what settings he changes.
m
l
February 7, 2011 6:59:18 PM

well thanks for explaining that better it makes sense now and ya i guess your right if i can still go past 4.8 by enabling ppl and stable then its ok cause from what your saything some people are hittin a wall even worse at 4.2 4.4 and that would reall suck if i gambled and lost on that one and your friend not being able to overclock past 4.6 at all is weird :(  guess ill just work with the settings and see what i can do thanks so much
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2011 7:08:57 PM

Its not broke, it runs advertised speeds plus some. Not all chips are the same. If you send i back, you got shipping both ways, restocking fee, and you get to wait til April for a new once since Newegg already stopped selling them til April.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2011 7:49:34 PM

br0wn said:
well thanks for explaining that better it makes sense now and ya i guess your right if i can still go past 4.8 by enabling ppl and stable then its ok cause from what your saything some people are hittin a wall even worse at 4.2 4.4 and that would reall suck if i gambled and lost on that one and your friend not being able to overclock past 4.6 at all is weird :(  guess ill just work with the settings and see what i can do thanks so much

It's not weird, it's physics, quantum physics for that matter. ;) 

Some chips have more defects than others, causing them to not be able to run at the same speed.

My i7 920 won't go past 3.8ghz due to the QPI; it runs just fine at a low voltage for 3.8ghz(1.25 vcore without tweaking), but no settings will fix what the chip physically can't do, even a high voltage on the QPI won't make it run at 4ghz.

Don't risk getting a dud chip, your chip is probably about the average chip you will get for the 2xxx series.
m
l
February 7, 2011 11:05:46 PM

welp thank you all for the advice im takin it and going to stick with the chip it could be a goofed bios or something + i am gettin the revised board when they are available which also might fix this problem
m
l
!