Sign in with
Your question

HD4850 wont work on Dell E520

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 8:35:27 PM

Hello,
Please can someone help - ive installed a hd4850 graphics card in my dell e520 pc (Q6600, 4 gb ram, 32 bit vista home premium operating system) and ive attached the pci-e 6 pin adaptor from the power supply to it. The bios will not recognise this card at all despite having removed all previous ati and nvidia drivers and resetting the bios by removing the cmos battery and jumper. Any ideas?
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 8:36:39 PM

see if the card works in another machine, could be DoA
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 8:37:49 PM

thanks for the reply - I can hear the fans spinning quite loudly though which suggests it isnt dead.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 8:38:59 PM

btw i updated the bios when installing the Q6600 processor, to version 2.4.0. though having reset the bios i dont think this would be the cause.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 8:43:06 PM

g00fysmiley said:
see if the card works in another machine, could be DoA

hi, the fan is spinning so its not dead
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 8:54:57 PM

if the fan spinning costantly at max speed? when mine did that i forgot to connect the 6pin power connector but you said you have done that. It alco could be possible that the PSU doesnt have enough power. Have you tried taking out the GPU and putting it back in? What about testing it in another computer?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 8:58:23 PM

Snipergod87 said:
if the fan spinning costantly at max speed? when mine did that i forgot to connect the 6pin power connector but you said you have done that. It alco could be possible that the PSU doesnt have enough power. Have you tried taking out the GPU and putting it back in? What about testing it in another computer?

whether its max speed im not sure but its making a reasonable amount of nosie. The PSU is a Jeantech 700w so i dont think thats the problem. Unfortunately i dont have another computer with PCI-E slots to test on. However, I may have to test it on someone elses pc if everything else fails.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 8:59:01 PM

I havent tried taking the GPU out and back in though - ill try that.
September 21, 2010 9:11:22 PM

do any lights come up on the back of the graphics card? I know my 4850's used to have two lights on the back.

I think one light on meant not enough power and two was overheating or something like that. Maybe you can google that.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 9:26:38 PM

aberchonbie said:
do any lights come up on the back of the graphics card? I know my 4850's used to have two lights on the back.

I think one light on meant not enough power and two was overheating or something like that. Maybe you can google that.

Hi there are no lights coming on, on the graphics card.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 9:27:55 PM

I took the gpu out and back in - didnt help unfortunately.
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 9:49:12 PM

in the BIOS the mobo's integrated graphics are turned off?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2010 10:06:53 PM

ct1615 said:
in the BIOS the mobo's integrated graphics are turned off?

ive tried everything - the auto setup which will use the add in card, and the other option whereby the PCI-E will always supersede the onboard graphics. There is no other option in the bios.
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 9:09:01 AM

fans spinning - that doesn't mean anything

clean the connector and make sure the ram and everything else is seated correctly including the 6-pin power connector

this may be a faulty card or just plain incompatibility (plug and play aka "plug and prey") - if you have another machine try it in it

also make sure your plugging in your video card to the right connector at the back of your tower, and internally your plugging the card into the top pcie slot (dell should mean only one slot available anyhow)

reset cmos/diag mode may also help, aswell as the diag lights on the front of your dell

what psu are you using
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 9:11:53 AM

oh and removing the battery and reset cmos pin may stop the board booting also, and drivers are an os level issue, not a post/initial/bios issue
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 1:38:33 PM

Quote:

and to add to the psu question.
with a stock Dell psu they are usually stronger than what Dell states, it's a known fact but, with that being said.
you upgraded to a more powerful cpu (uses more power);
so the extra 'slack' that you had in the Dell psu went to power the psu.
now you wanted to add a more powerful video card, but all your 'slack' is now powering the cpu.

He's got a 700 watt psu, should be enough slack to run another system.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 6:05:37 PM

Quote:
oh, I forgot about that.
your right..
delluser1 - sup bro.? how you.?
showing love to a fellow Dell guy..

Hi
I agree that its best to try the card out on someone elses pc. Will get back to you when ive tried it...
!