Sign in with
Your question

Worthy upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
February 7, 2011 4:06:16 PM

I just recently upgraded my Pentium 4 3.2 to a Pentium dual core e2180 that's overclocked to 2.6. Is that a worthy upgrade?

More about : worthy upgrade

a c 159 à CPUs
February 7, 2011 4:50:16 PM

It's a little late to ask. Try it for awhile. No point in changing it now.
m
l
February 7, 2011 6:09:15 PM

I can change it....this was a cheap alternative to upgrading...I got the total system for 50 bucks and justbought a gt240 and upgraded the RAM from 2gb to 4gb. So I gon ahead a drop a core to duo or.better, the core to quad. Let me know. The things u guys say sometimes matter.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2011 12:03:08 AM

Depending on what you're doing, a 3.2+ GHz dual core could work better than a 2.4 GHz quad core. If you're not really comparing benchmarks... the most perceivable difference in games, for example, comes from a GPU upgrade. A couple FPS on a benchmark really isn't something you'd notice.

More memory keeps things from paging to the hard drive... which is a big cause of a 'feeling slow' PC. Just being generally 'modern' keeps things reasonably fast. You might not be able to run very high settings on the newest games... but it'll get out of its own way. Since you had the old system, and have the new upgrade... you can tell how its improved.
m
l
!