Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$2,500 for a pro-level HD video editing machine

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 13, 2010 3:54:45 PM

Thank you for reading. It's much appreciated. I've seen some really great builds for my basic purposes, (and I'm loving the site) but things are always changing and I have a higher price range than the other posts. I'm looking forward to seeing ya'll work your magic.

Approximate Purchase Date: Now-Dec. (willing to wait to catch a Holiday sale.)

Budget Range: $2200-2800 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: High-end HD Video/Audio Editing (AVID and After Effects), Adobe Photo Suite, burning blu-ray/ DVDs, Web Design, Web use, and I wouldn’t mind if it can run video games for after-hours. The grand plan is to eventually run a wedding video and photography business from this machine in my home.

Parts Not Required: none

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: I've got less parts preferences and more a vision for what I want. I know enough to know hardware isn't my strong suit.

Dual-monitor Desktop setup, Intel, a nice performance raid with another big hard-drive for storing finished products. A fast reading 'CD' drive, and a fast, flexible burner.

Compatibility and future-proofing are priorities.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, since I don’t know what that is...

Monitor Resolution: TBD, but I intend to have a dual-monitor set-up to have more room to play with video.

Additional Comments: Again, thanks for reading. I'll be checking up on this post frequently, so if there's questions I should be getting back to you pretty quickly.

And one more thanks for good measure.
November 13, 2010 5:40:34 PM

I like the build. Particuarly the standard hard drives, and the Blu-Ray burner.

Replacing this old laptop will make my day.

Mild concerns are my baseless prejudice against solid state drives (mainly on size.) and also should I pick up more memory? I'm the opposite of an expert, but I'd been guessing that's where the best performance for value is.

Thanks for taking the time!
Related resources
November 13, 2010 5:43:04 PM

The above build is pretty good, some things need changing though: cooler doesn't live up to the hype the corsair a70 is a better deal http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... , and a mini mouse for this build? I'd go with some serious gaming peripherals even though this isn't primarily for gaming(macros are always handy most of us including me use them a lot but never in games and when you use your system a lot you want it to be comfortable here is an option http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... )

also the case may not be to everyone's liking both size and styling-wise. Also it's a born dust collector with far too few filters. If you buy it beware of the inminent dust infestation.

The HDDs are fairly slow although exeptionally fast for 5400rpm drives. If you want a very quiet system then get those, but then get a quiet case to match or if you don't care about noise get caviar blacks.

And the GPU is from the past, forget it. The best deal in this price range is a duo of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... they'll perform twice as good as that 5870 or almost twice as good if you don't OC.
November 13, 2010 5:48:49 PM

Last_Free_Thinker said:
I like the build. Particuarly the standard hard drives, and the Blu-Ray burner.

Replacing this old laptop will make my day.

Mild concerns are my baseless prejudice against solid state drives (mainly on size.) and also should I pick up more memory? I'm the opposite of an expert, but I'd been guessing that's where the best performance for value is.

Thanks for taking the time!


SSDs fly they perform much much better than standard drives, if you organize your files properly you can get almost all your apps to load more than twice as fast(including booting and any games) and if you work with redundacy seeing as you'll have regular HDDs all your important files will be safe. SSDs just make everything snappier aswell, almost every activity on everyday usage is bottlenecked by regular HDDs exept heavy rendering and stuff like that. Alt tab wil finally work they way it was meant to and your browser will be instant and so will office and the list goes on.

And about the ram I don't know how much ram these apps need games are more than fine with 4gb though. One does see many proffesionalls getting 12gb so maybe you do need it. IMO get 6gb and see if it's to little order the same kit again and add it in.
November 13, 2010 5:53:29 PM

the point of the eyfinity 6 edition 5870 is for rendering purposes. at for multi monitor use.
also the reason for the two 2TB HDD's is for storage he wants a place for projects. theres a 120gb SSD for installs like the OS & CS5.
November 13, 2010 5:56:34 PM

Somebody_007 said:
SSDs fly they perform much much better than standard drives, if you organize your files properly you can get almost all your apps to load more than twice as fast(including booting and any games) and if you work with redundacy seeing as you'll have regular HDDs all your important files will be safe. SSDs just make everything snappier aswell, almost every activity on everyday usage is bottlenecked by regular HDDs exept heavy rendering and stuff like that. Alt tab wil finally work they way it was meant to and your browser will be instant and so will office and the list goes on.

And about the ram I don't know how much ram these apps need games are more than fine with 4gb though. One does see many proffesionalls getting 12gb so maybe you do need it. IMO get 6gb and see if it's to little order the same kit again and add it in.



The only time RAM becomes a problem is when you dont have enough of it. (:
November 13, 2010 8:13:00 PM

Um, where's the motherboard and CPU in that build?
November 13, 2010 8:49:11 PM

wortwortwort said:
Um, where's the motherboard and CPU in that build?


It's two seperate screen caps. where you see the keyboard mouse combo is the start of the screen cap that has an i7-950 CPU, & an X58 Sabertooth Mobo
November 14, 2010 7:52:28 AM

With that sorta budget.......*drools.*

UHhh...
SSD+460's CF (768mb will save you $$ over the 1gb)+nice 750W corsair leaves u plenty of room for OCing+Perhaps get an i3 processor and budget mobo and swap it out when sandy comes along? (Don't get OEM windows 7) or just wait till SB comes if u can?

Cause spending a little now and more when it comes will actually save u $$ in the future, even if u need it now and the i3 isn't terrible.

No point spending 300-500 on a processor now and in literally 2 months having it perform like a $150 processor..
November 14, 2010 8:04:18 AM

vibhas said:
With that sorta budget.......*drools.*

UHhh...
SSD+460's CF (768mb will save you $$ over the 1gb)+nice 750W corsair leaves u plenty of room for OCing+Perhaps get an i3 processor and budget mobo and swap it out when sandy comes along? (Don't get OEM windows 7) or just wait till SB comes if u can?

Cause spending a little now and more when it comes will actually save u $$ in the future, even if u need it now and the i3 isn't terrible.

No point spending 300-500 on a processor now and in literally 2 months having it perform like a $150 processor..


you're being ridiculous.

first of all all those proffesionall apps use a lot of video ram so 0.7gb is a bad choice stick with the 1gb. Many of those apps are heavily cpu dependent why on earth would he get a horrible cpu which can't cope with the power of his 460s? Why no oem windows?

As for sany bridge yes it will be good but x58 won't be replaced untill end of next year and besides there's always something new coming some day. Also the cpu that's supposed cost like 300 from what I heard is somwhere in between an i7 950 and an i7 980x now that sounds very good, but sandy bridge isn't overclockable exept for the porbably overpriced unlocked CPUs and if you overclock a 950 it will smash anything that isn't better than a 970/980. So no sandy bridge isn't the perfect solution.

And btw waiting always garners rewards no matter what time of which year. I built my system beginning this year with one of the new fermi's and 6 months later before the new AMD GPUs came out I could build the same system for like 20% less. The market changes constantly for the better even when things aren't released. And you can't wait forever.
November 14, 2010 1:05:23 PM

do you already have those two monitors?
or you have to buy them too??
and what kind of gaming would you do in it?
if you arent playing anything too heavy you can go with a 6850 and save a few bucks...
6850 will handle your dual monitor setup just fine
November 14, 2010 1:32:26 PM

I am way too lazy to go search/link Newegg for exact parts, but in my opinion (for a price/performance build):

SSD
2+ 2TB hard drives
8/16GB of ram
AMD X6
AM3 mobo
Single 460 (Cuda, decent gaming)
XFX 750 watt
Case
Multiple monitors.

Really, there's nothing that's going to boost your productivity more than multiple monitors+an SSD.
November 14, 2010 5:47:00 PM

Thanks again, all.

I'll try and focus by starting with the direct questions.

Tomate2 - I need to buy the monitors. This is a big step up for me, and I've just waited as long as I can, so I'm starting from scratch here parts wise.

For the gaming, I like to play the newest, flashiest games but have always been content as long as the games run, even at the lowest graphics settings. However, after spending that much cheaping out on a single component is exactly what I don't want to do. Also, gaming remains a bonus of the fact that the machine I'll need is capable of doing what I want. HD video remains my focus, but as long as it isn't hyper-specialized it'll be more computer than I need everywhere else.

Oh, another important point is I've been doing some research and my heart has grown a size bigger to include SSD's which would be perfect for AVID's media cache.

I've learned from and enjoyed each post. Appreciated.

November 14, 2010 5:59:32 PM

Happy Buying/building :bounce:  :) 
November 26, 2010 8:18:44 PM

Hey there, This is exactly what I`m looking for. Can you tell me the exact specs you used to get this system running please.

---------------------------

Last_Free_Thinker said:
Thank you for reading. It's much appreciated. I've seen some really great builds for my basic purposes, (and I'm loving the site) but things are always changing and I have a higher price range than the other posts. I'm looking forward to seeing ya'll work your magic.

Approximate Purchase Date: Now-Dec. (willing to wait to catch a Holiday sale.)

Budget Range: $2200-2800 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: High-end HD Video/Audio Editing (AVID and After Effects), Adobe Photo Suite, burning blu-ray/ DVDs, Web Design, Web use, and I wouldn’t mind if it can run video games for after-hours. The grand plan is to eventually run a wedding video and photography business from this machine in my home.

Parts Not Required: none

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: I've got less parts preferences and more a vision for what I want. I know enough to know hardware isn't my strong suit.

Dual-monitor Desktop setup, Intel, a nice performance raid with another big hard-drive for storing finished products. A fast reading 'CD' drive, and a fast, flexible burner.

Compatibility and future-proofing are priorities.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, since I don’t know what that is...

Monitor Resolution: TBD, but I intend to have a dual-monitor set-up to have more room to play with video.

Additional Comments: Again, thanks for reading. I'll be checking up on this post frequently, so if there's questions I should be getting back to you pretty quickly.

And one more thanks for good measure.

November 26, 2010 8:28:50 PM

I would look into a good SSD if I were you. not to big but for small things and the OS :) 
November 26, 2010 10:02:43 PM

I agree with sp12. Phenom II X6 and the lot, crunches the video files like peanuts. If you'll be using the GPU encoding too, get Nvidia, for CUDA.

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T + EVGA 012-P3-1472-AR GeForce GTX 470
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) + Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX120G 3.5" 120GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2 x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Cyber Acoustics CA-3602 30 Watts RMS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Keyboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Logitech M500 Tilt Wheel USB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$1,702.83


2 x Dell UltraSharp U2311H
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/pr...

$518

Total $2220.

!