Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD not up to speed

Last response: in Storage
February 24, 2013 6:00:09 AM

I have scoured the internet for days trying to figure this out on my own, but alas, for the first time ever, after years of figuring out my problem on my own, I must ask for help....

I have just completed a fresh install of Win 7 HP on my SDD, and my speeds are not up to what I think they should be. I have what I believe to be all updated drivers, and all windows updates are taken care of. Additionally, I have tried numerous fixes.

I have tried to enable AHCI in registry and bios, but I cannot find the option in the BIOS(possibly the problem). I was able to change the Registry values, but I did not see any options to change to AHCI, RAID or IDE at all. This is where most answers seem to lead to, but I believe that it might not be the whole problem, i.e. chipset or bios drivers not optimal. Sony tech support was obviously no help as they kept referring to the SSD as a Hard Drive, and saying that "Sony does not recommend changing the settings in the BIOS" when I asked if that could be it.

The other weird thing is that I would have thought the computer wold default to AHCI as it is only about 1 year old, and certainly not going to be IDE right???

I used crucial system scanner to determine that my computer is indeed 6gb/s capable, and the speeds now are similar with 3gb/s speeds for a SDD

AS SSD SPEEDS:

Seq Read: 266
seq Write: 149
4k Read: 25
4k Write: 39

Computer:
Sony Vaio VPCSE190x
Intel Core i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz
8GB RAM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to whom ever can figure this out.
a c 523 G Storage
February 24, 2013 11:37:31 AM

Yes, the chipset in your laptop (Mobile Intel HM65) is 6Gb/s "Capable", but that does not mean that Sony built that particular model with 6Gb/s ports. "SATA 6Gb/s" is a big feature, Marketing-wise. So if you don't see that advertised as part of your model's features then it's probably safe to assume that you only have standard 3Gb/s ports.

In AS-SSD, what information is in the box directly above the checkbox that says "Seq"?
No need to run the benchmark again, just open the program.
m
l
February 24, 2013 2:29:17 PM

Samsung SSD 840
DXM0
iaStor - OK
103424 K - OK
238.47 GB
m
l
Related resources
a c 523 G Storage
February 24, 2013 2:38:21 PM

"iaStor" confirms that your SSD is in AHCI mode.
m
l
February 24, 2013 2:45:08 PM

That's good I guess, I thought that it was. Does that confirm if the port is 6Gb/s capable?
Is there a way to do this?
m
l

Best solution

a c 523 G Storage
February 24, 2013 2:54:15 PM

AS-SSD uses highly incompressible data to test Read/Write speeds. Highly incompressible data is the hardest for any SSD to Read/Write.

Benchmark with ATTO software, which uses highly compressible data to test Read/Write speeds. Highly compressible data is the easiest for any SSD to Read/Write.

If your Read/Write speeds in ATTO are not above 300MB/s that confirms that your laptop only has 3Gb/s ports.
a c 167 G Storage
February 24, 2013 3:05:59 PM

Sony uses an Insyde bios that has limited configuration options. I suspect the default sata mode is ahci.

Yes, if your ssd is attached to a 6gb capable port, I would expect faster sequential speeds.

But, I would not worry about this at all. 90% of what you do will be small random reads and writes.

The sequential speeds are still 2x faster than any hard drive.

For your interest, I also installed a Samsung 840 ssd on my sony vaio.
I just ran as ssd and found results similar to yours.

Just sit back and enjoy what you have.
m
l
February 24, 2013 3:11:38 PM

Its just hard for me to sit back and enjoy with that nagging feeling it could be better.....running ATTO now.

If it comes back under 300k speeds, is there something that I can do about the ports, or have i reached an "impass" in my quest for a solution.

Thanks
m
l
a c 523 G Storage
February 24, 2013 3:17:53 PM

etrain33 said:
If it comes back under 300k speeds, is there something that I can do about the ports, or have i reached an "impass" in my quest for a solution.

No, there's nothing you can do about the ports.

It's possible that you may get slightly faster benchmark results by changing your Power Plan in Control Panel to High Performance; but be aware that if you do that your battery life per-charge will be less than it is now.
m
l
a c 167 G Storage
February 24, 2013 3:19:10 PM

etrain33 said:
Its just hard for me to sit back and enjoy with that nagging feeling it could be better.....running ATTO now.

Thanks

I think not; try to think about something else that you have control over.
m
l
February 24, 2013 3:30:25 PM

speeds get up to 267,365 for read and 284359 for write. So suspicions of a 3Gb/s port are confirmed i am assuming. What now, is there any way to just replace the port without replacing the whole motherboard?

Thanks again, at least I don't feel so bad about not being able to fix this myself.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
February 24, 2013 3:32:29 PM

My laptop w/Samsung 840Pro
Samsung 840 pro (i5-2410m, 840m dGPU, 8 gigs ram, Blu-ray ROM/DVDRW drive 17 in)

I find it deplorable that Sony would limit internal sata port to Sata II for a realtively high end i7 SB CPU. Then Not totally surprised if infact that is the case.

Not sure but Seq read/writes seem a little low for Sata II, would expect closer to the 300 mb/sec. However both driver and partition alignment look good. How do the 4k-64 thrd performance compare.
Also would make sure that your Laptop has the Latest bios update, and while at it, check FW on SSD (also listed with AS SSD)

PS DO NOT run repeated benchmarks back to back.
ATTO, I never use, but then I only have 2 SF22xx based SSDs (120 gig Agility III).
ATTO is a rather poor SSD benchmark, designed for old mechanical HDD. Unfornatuatly SF22xx loves compressable data (not real life OS/Program drive) and therefore Benifits from ATTO's use of highly compressable data.
As you can see This is not so much of a disparaty with marvel and samsung based SSD. Bottom line here is do not wast space on drive for ATTO.
m
l
February 24, 2013 3:32:29 PM

So it's over, thanks for the help. At least i can rest easy knowing I can't do anything to improve.

m
l
a c 523 G Storage
February 24, 2013 3:32:45 PM

etrain33 said:
What now, is there any way to just replace the port without replacing the whole motherboard?

No, there's not.

m
l
February 24, 2013 3:34:13 PM

just kinda mean posting that really...speeds on your ssd that is :( 
m
l
February 24, 2013 3:38:57 PM

Best answer selected by etrain33.
m
l
a c 167 G Storage
February 24, 2013 3:39:03 PM

etrain33 said:
just kinda mean posting that really...speeds on your ssd that is :( 

AH, but does RetiredChief have a nice full 1080P HD display?
It makes all the difference in the world to me. :) 
m
l
February 24, 2013 3:40:45 PM

fixed: getting 1080p HD display
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
February 24, 2013 3:48:30 PM

NOPE, No 1080 P on laptop, 1600 on tablet, and 1080 P on 32" desktop

And I would press Sony on this, and as I asked did you verify that you have the latest Bios update as Newer Bios updates have corrected some of the problems with poor performance of SSDs on SB systems!!

My laptop is also over a year old, and a 1080 17" w/daul HDD bays, and Blu-ray ROM/DVD-RW were going for over a grand, Mine was a cheapy @ $750
m
l
February 24, 2013 4:19:33 PM

RetiredChief said:
NOPE, No 1080 P on laptop, 1600 on tablet, and 1080 P on 32" desktop

And I would press Sony on this, and as I asked did you verify that you have the latest Bios update as Newer Bios updates have corrected some of the problems with poor performance of SSDs on SB systems!!

My laptop is also over a year old, and 17" 1080 w/daul HDD bays, and Blu-ray ROM/DVD-RW were going for over a grand, Mine was a cheapy @ $750

you mean just complain/ask why they would not have 6Gb/s standard to see what i can get out of them?

I think I have newest Bios, from sonys drivers page for my comp at least, those optimal?
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
February 24, 2013 4:31:58 PM

Yea, You may need to move up the food chain, The telephone assisatance, NOT Just Sony, really sucks. The vast majority here at Tom's appear more knowedgable. And Yes I've tried both Toshibia and Samsung "Chat" which are the same thing as Telephone, and they are no better. Forgot the issue on Tosibia, But samsung was on compatability problem using an (Crappy) Agility III when they first came out! - corrected by buying Crucial M4. problem was BUGGY SF22xx controller which took OCZ and Sandforce about 8 months to Correct.
m
l
February 24, 2013 5:03:15 PM

I'm all about complaining and negotiating, I consider myself quite good at it tbh, but what is my goal? What am I hoping to get out of them? I usually like to go into these things with some idea of what I want so that I can put pressure on them. thanks
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
February 24, 2013 7:24:24 PM

Try to push for a Bios upgrade - THAT is all it should take. Might hint at the fact you get a lot of questions on which laptop to buy. And it is difficault to recommend a brand that has rather poor support.
This is one of the reasons I do not recommend SONY, that and their past propritary (simular to Apple) approach.

Who knows, there may be somting in bios already that is bing over looked, dought it but possible.
m
l
February 24, 2013 8:29:18 PM

RetiredChief said:
Try to push for a Bios upgrade - THAT is all it should take. Might hint at the fact you get a lot of questions on which laptop to buy. And it is difficault to recommend a brand that has rather poor support.
This is one of the reasons I do not recommend SONY, that and their past propritary (simular to Apple) approach.

Who knows, there may be somting in bios already that is bing over looked, dought it but possible.

Isn't it a port issue and not a Bios though? Even with some new Bios won't I always be limited by the speed of the port?

Agreed on the approach though, I am the go to person with tech questions in my extended family, friends, and coworkers network.
Thanks
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
February 24, 2013 8:43:55 PM

From Dereck45's post "Yes, the chipset in your laptop (Mobile Intel HM65) is 6Gb/s "Capable",
So you have a Chipset that provides upto 2 SATA III (6) ports. it it up to how th Bios impliments communication with the Chipset.
Ref: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/value-c...

There is ONLY one rational for limiting to Sata II and that is that mechanical HDDs do not saturate a sata II port. - BUT SSD were becoming popular MORE than a year ago.
m
l
June 18, 2013 7:52:59 PM

I recently bought an HP Envy-1534 with an AMD FX-6200 CPU. Supposedly the system had SATA III ports but my 840pro ran at SATA II speeds just like the above. I called the HP help desk and they blamed it on Samsung, saying they designed an incompatible SSD. When I proposed they send me a comparable computer that would work properly, they said "no, return it to the Big Box store where you bought it". Luckily this conversation happened on the 15th day following my desktop purchase and the return policy was 15 days. I took my desktop in my arms back to the store, put it on the counter, and proceeded to buy a Dell XPS 8500 with I7-3440. The SSD speed now exceeds Samsung's recommended benchmarks. I'm very happy now.
m
l
August 7, 2013 3:39:07 AM

I am having the EXACT same problem on my Sony Vaio, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB running at 3gb/s sat. I have an Intel HM67 chipset that has two SATA3 ports and 4 SATA2 ports. My SSD is hooked up to one of the SATA3's and my Optical drive is in one of the SATA2's. I've updated the drivers for Intel's Rapid Storage Technology but still no luck. When I open the Rapid Tech's control panel, it still shows the port running at 3gb/s. Performance tests confirm that the SSD is running right under this mark. AS SSD program shows the driver as the iaStorA driver so I'm at a loss.... I do not have any volumes created cause I only have the one drive but my question is "Does the Optical Drive have to be in the SATA3 port as well?" I know it won't run that fast but I'm wondering if the chipset recognizes an "all or nothing" type scenario? The only other problem I can see is that Sony's Bios doesn't give you the option to make sure you're running in RAID vs ACHI vs IDE. This VAIO was originally shipped with a 500GB HD, but I switched it to the SSD and then performed a complete, clean Win 7 install. Since I see the iaStorA driver in the AS SSD program, I assume I'm in the right mode, but I'm not sure...... Any help would be great, would luv to see RetiredChief's #'s out of my SSD, especially now I know its capable. Thanks
m
l
a c 523 G Storage
August 7, 2013 7:19:55 AM

ruflying74 said:
I have an Intel HM67 chipset that has two SATA3 ports and 4 SATA2 ports.

No laptop has 6 SATA ports. There's one SATA port for each drive bay.
Do you have a Sony VAIO desktop PC? What is the model number?

As I instructed earlier in this thread, benchmark each SATA port with ATTO.
SATA 3 (6Gb/s) speeds are from 301MB/s to 600MB/s.
If your ATTO Read/Write speeds are less than 301MB/s then your system does not have SATA 3 (6Gb/s) ports.

m
l
August 7, 2013 11:02:26 AM

No, I have a Sony Vaio Laptop VPCSA3SGX. The reason I stated 6 ports was I used GIGABYTES's Intel 6 Series SATA Utility to test what ports my drives were attached to. http://www.gigabyte.us/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=...

When I run it, it lists SATA3 Port0 as being connected, and SATA2 Port4 as being connected. It then recommends that the Sata2 port not be used. When I open Intel's Rapid Storage Utility it shows my SSD at Port0 with a sata rate of 3 gb/s and my Optical drive at Port4 with a sata rate of 1.5 gb/s. When I said six ports I was just going by the GYGABYTE Utility and what the Intel Website said.. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/mainstr...
Intel says it provides UP to six ports on this chipset with two being able to support 6 gb/s. I just assumed I had six. Either way the GYBAGYTE Utility makes me think that the ssd IS hooked up to one of the possible SATA3 ports, but its only pushing SATA2 speeds.

Thanks for any input guys
m
l
August 7, 2013 11:10:37 AM

Also. I've run the AS SSD program but not the ATTO and got almost identical results to the guy who started the thread (except my write speed is closer to 300 than his 150) but everything else is comparable. The only difference is the spec section where it lists the driver is mine is ioStorA where these guys just have ioStor.... Thanks again
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
August 7, 2013 11:12:28 AM

Then Dereck is correct, Majority of laptops only enable two Sata Ports, even thought the spec is higher. My laptop has 3 sata ports. Two HDD bays (w/2 SSDs installed) and a sata port form by blu-ray/DVDRW drive.
m
l
August 7, 2013 2:40:04 PM

So if I'm reading everything correctly, even though the GIGABYTE Utility is recognizing that my SSD is installed in a SATA3 capable port and the optical is in a SATA2, my SONY BIOS is only enabling that SATA3 port to run at SATA2 speeds..... It would make sense cause the original laptop was shipped with a HHD drive to begin with and getting into the BIOS was the one recommendation from the web that I could never accomplish. Sony has their BIOS's on lockdown, its very limited as to what you can do.... I tinkered with the REGEDIT to enable msachi (from 3 to 0) like certain sites suggest and it didn't affect my boot at all, which they say it will if I was IDE? This made me believe maybe the system did switch to ACHI when I did the clean install with the SSD.
I have a request in to Sony Support to help me try an switch it over but I don't have high hopes. Reading previous posts it sounds like they are very reluctant to work with you on such requests.
If anyone has any other suggestions, would love to hear them, Thanks again
m
l
August 7, 2013 3:48:38 PM

SUCCESS!!, Using info from this thread I was able to refine my search terms a little bit and ran across this thread:
http://community.sony.nl/t5/PCs-Accessories/Sata-3-supp...

So basically I needed to "downgrade" my BIOS version. Sony didn't have the old BIOS Update anymore but I found it at another driver website. Downloaded it, installed, and ran another AS SSD utility.
AS SSD Benchmark 1.7.4739.38088
------------------------------
Name: ATA Samsung SSD 840 SCSI Disk Device
Firmware: 5B0Q
Controller: iaStorA
Offset: 103424 K - OK
Size: 238.47 GB
Date: 8/7/2013 5:47:28 PM
Sequential:
Read: 519.94 MB/s
Write: 446.92 MB/s
4K:
Read: 26.57 MB/s
Write: 48.41 MB/s
4K-64Threads:
Read: 380.79 MB/s
Write: 293.26 MB/s
Access Times:
Read: 0.096 ms
Write: 0.073 ms
Score:
Read: 459
Write: 386
Total: 1085
Hope this helps others. Thanks for all the input
m
l
a c 523 G Storage
August 7, 2013 6:39:37 PM

Congrats!! Glad you got it resolved!
m
l
November 3, 2013 10:57:09 AM

Dereck47 said:
AS-SSD uses highly incompressible data to test Read/Write speeds. Highly incompressible data is the hardest for any SSD to Read/Write.

Benchmark with ATTO software, which uses highly compressible data to test Read/Write speeds. Highly compressible data is the easiest for any SSD to Read/Write.

If your Read/Write speeds in ATTO are not above 300MB/s that confirms that your laptop only has 3Gb/s ports.

I'm using SATA 2 ( 3gb/s ) and how this is possible ?

m
l
November 9, 2013 6:09:06 PM

etrain33 said:
I have scoured the internet for days trying to figure this out on my own, but alas, for the first time ever, after years of figuring out my problem on my own, I must ask for help....

I have just completed a fresh install of Win 7 HP on my SDD, and my speeds are not up to what I think they should be. I have what I believe to be all updated drivers, and all windows updates are taken care of. Additionally, I have tried numerous fixes.

I have tried to enable AHCI in registry and bios, but I cannot find the option in the BIOS(possibly the problem). I was able to change the Registry values, but I did not see any options to change to AHCI, RAID or IDE at all. This is where most answers seem to lead to, but I believe that it might not be the whole problem, i.e. chipset or bios drivers not optimal. Sony tech support was obviously no help as they kept referring to the SSD as a Hard Drive, and saying that "Sony does not recommend changing the settings in the BIOS" when I asked if that could be it.

The other weird thing is that I would have thought the computer wold default to AHCI as it is only about 1 year old, and certainly not going to be IDE right???

I used crucial system scanner to determine that my computer is indeed 6gb/s capable, and the speeds now are similar with 3gb/s speeds for a SDD

AS SSD SPEEDS:

Seq Read: 266
seq Write: 149
4k Read: 25
4k Write: 39

Computer:
Sony Vaio VPCSE190x
Intel Core i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz
8GB RAM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to whom ever can figure this out.

I have the Pro version. It came with an installation disc. Did you install Samsung Magician software? You optimize your drive through that software. Good Luck!
m
l
!