Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Realtek
  • PCI
  • Components
Last response: in Components
February 7, 2011 10:07:40 PM

Hello,
My Sound Card a Realtek AC97 has just died after years of good service in my E-machine desk top with Win XP Pro.
Question is should I replace with an identical Make/model sound card or just go for an external model? From the comments I read on this site it seems problematic to either use a different brand, or abandon the old card in the PC.
Your views appreciated

More about : realtek pci sound card

February 7, 2011 10:26:22 PM

The realtek AC97 is likely the onboard sound on your motherboard which you will not be able to replace yourself, you would need to put in a sound card to bypass it. You could always get a PCI sound card any carry it over to your next system, or it may be a sign that its due for a new system.
February 8, 2011 3:18:07 PM

hunter315 said:
The realtek AC97 is likely the onboard sound on your motherboard which you will not be able to replace yourself, you would need to put in a sound card to bypass it. You could always get a PCI sound card any carry it over to your next system, or it may be a sign that its due for a new system.

Thank you Hunter that explains why I cannot find a Realtek AC97 as a card! I'll go for a PCI sound card as an interim solution