Microphone not working after XP reinstall

Schism

My microphone has stopped working after an XP reinstall, I don't remeber
doing anything specific to set it up the first time other than plugging it
in, but I've been all through the volume and recording controls and it still
isn't working, I've been to the device manager and all drivers have been
install and working properly, so it's not a driver problem. The microphone
doesn't work at all, not in windows or in UT2004, does anyone have any
suggestions?

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:30:12 -0500, "Schism"
<NO_SPAM_4_ME@blegger.com> wrote:

>My microphone has stopped working after an XP reinstall, I don't remeber
>doing anything specific to set it up the first time other than plugging it
>in, but I've been all through the volume and recording controls and it still
>isn't working, I've been to the device manager and all drivers have been
>install and working properly, so it's not a driver problem. The microphone
>doesn't work at all, not in windows or in UT2004, does anyone have any
>suggestions?

What sound card? Where are you plugging the mic in? The most common
cause is that you have the mic muted in your sound solution's control
panel. The other possibility is that it's plugged into the wrong
place.

I went nuts for hours trying to figure out why my sound card quit
working after a hard drive install. Come to find out that I had my
speakers plugged into the mobo's onboard sound jacks, instead of my
Audigy 2. :)

Schism

> What sound card? Where are you plugging the mic in? The most common
> cause is that you have the mic muted in your sound solution's control
> panel. The other possibility is that it's plugged into the wrong
> place.
>
> I went nuts for hours trying to figure out why my sound card quit
> working after a hard drive install. Come to find out that I had my
> speakers plugged into the mobo's onboard sound jacks, instead of my
> Audigy 2. :)

I use my onboard sound on my Asus A7V333 motherboard, I haven't unplugged it
since it was last working either, so I don't see what the problem could be.
I've been all through the volume and recording settings and none of them are
muted.

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:24:12 -0500, "Schism"
<NO_SPAM_4_ME@blegger.com> wrote:

>> What sound card? Where are you plugging the mic in? The most common
>> cause is that you have the mic muted in your sound solution's control
>> panel. The other possibility is that it's plugged into the wrong
>> place.
>>
>> I went nuts for hours trying to figure out why my sound card quit
>> working after a hard drive install. Come to find out that I had my
>> speakers plugged into the mobo's onboard sound jacks, instead of my
>> Audigy 2. :)
>>

>I use my onboard sound on my Asus A7V333 motherboard, I haven't unplugged it
>since it was last working either, so I don't see what the problem could be.
>I've been all through the volume and recording settings and none of them are
>muted.

Does your onboard sound have a "microphone boost" or some other
similar setting?

Schism

> Does your onboard sound have a "microphone boost" or some other
> similar setting?

Not that I can tell?

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:30:12 -0500, Schism wrote:

> My microphone has stopped working after an XP reinstall, I don't remeber
> doing anything specific to set it up the first time other than plugging it
> in, but I've been all through the volume and recording controls and it still
> isn't working, I've been to the device manager and all drivers have been
> install and working properly, so it's not a driver problem. The microphone
> doesn't work at all, not in windows or in UT2004, does anyone have any
> suggestions?

I'd suggest wiping XPee off that hard disk, and installing Linux.
Everything will work better.

Linux Registered User #327951