Computer shutdowns down help please

fatpandas2014

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Hi, i was playing a game for about 20 minutes until my computer completely shut down. I tried turning it on directly afterwards and it wouldn't even post. I had to wait a good 15 min until i could actually turn it back on. I have no idea what the problem is but i suspect it has to do with my new graphics card and my psu. I replaced my radeon hd 6970 with a gtx 580. With my old card this never happened even when gaming for a long time. I was playing just cause 2.

Here are my specs:
-mobo: ASUS M4A88T T V- EVO
-Graphics card: GTX 580
-PSU xigmatek 600W 80 plus bronze certified
-hdd: 500GB Hitachi 7200rpm and an external WD 3TB 7200rpm
-pci wireless network card
-processor: AMD Phenom II 1100T x6

I suspect it shut down because of the lack of power my 600w psu is generating. Anyone here have a clue?

fatpandas2014

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
no i didn't smell anything particular. It did this before but after a few tries i got it to turn back on, but now it won't even post. This sucks. Nvidia's website mentioned that a 600w psu would be min requirement, guess not. The hd led light is on so so it's trying to work it just wont post. I even switched psu. I had an old thermaltake one and it won't work.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Use http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp to find what size PSU you need. I don't think it is the PSU, as the 5970 would use a similar amount of power to the 580. It would definitely seem to be that something overheating, but I'd doubt it is the graphics card, and don't see what else it would be.

Edit: I'd be guessing it's the graphics card. BUT, if it is the PSU, the graphics card should be fine.

fatpandas2014

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011

could it be my processor overheating? i have an amd phenom II 1100T hexcore processor. I have an A.L.C coolit liquid cooling heatsink and i recently applied new thermal paste but i don't think i did it very well.

BTW the calculator is showing 565W as what i need. I don't think that would be completely sufficient. I also have an external hdd. A 3tb wd 7200rpm usb3 device.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
That calculator is meant to be pretty good, and like most, to over-estimate. It could be the CPU overheating, but if it only started when you swapped the graphics cards over, I'd say that is unlikely. It is most likely the heatsink on the graphics card is not on it properly or something like that.

fatpandas2014

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011

I don't know, i monitored it during a benchmark (which for some reason doesn't make my computer shutdown, it's just the opening scene of the game that makes it screw up) using gpuz and it never went above 70 C. And i have heard 580s being stable at 90C.

I think your GTX 580 could cause issues since it does draw a little more juice then a 6970.
If your psu is pushed too far it would shut-down if it's too hot.
"The thermal performance leaves something to be desired "
"We believe that better heatsinks would dramatically improve the thermal performance of this unit and it could easily nominate for better 80Plus certifications with some minor component adjustments."
You also don't mention if you played around with the card at all = overclocking/voltage tweaking
which would definitely not help your already taxed psu.

fatpandas2014

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011

oh sorry, i am at around a 5% overclock with my cpu at 3.5ghz, i also have the evga black ops edition which is factory oc'd to 797mhz. On another note i just ordered this from newegg:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371025. Will this be good enough? If it shuts down with this then something else is the matter. But the card should be fine correct?

Very good psu choice!that thing puts out over 900W stable.
Nice price too!
If you have any problems after installing that you know it's the card.