Display driver stopped responding, Help please!

Alright, So im running Windows vista ultimate SP1 with a ATI radeon HD 4650.

When I have no drivers installed i can watch videos, but cant play my games because they don't recognize my graphics card.

When i have drivers installed i can play my games, but cant watch videos because "The display driver has stopped responding and has failed to recover from timeout" But i can still view flash fine.

I've installed EVERY single driver they have for my card, and it always keeps happening.

Thanks for any help.
6 answers Last reply
More about display driver stopped responding please
  1. I had the exact same problem on my Vista 32bit system, turns out the GPU was buggered, had to RMA it back to the shop and got a replacement which worked fine.

Havent a clue what it was as all i did was replace the GPU and worked fine, didnt even reinstall the drivers, just plug and play.

Was a Palit GTX 470 btw, which are god awfully manufacted crads, one of the fan fins broke off, twice! (second tiem i got the above problem) so replaced it with the Asus GTX 470 and No problems since.. But have upgraded to Win 7 64bit thou :)
  2. Downloading SP2 might help your system overall.
    Downloading and installing Driversweeper will help
    ADD/REMOVE Programs Ati CC manager dump everything
    Run Driversweeper in Safemode
    Check off ATI
    Click Analyse
    Click Clean
    Restart Normal
    Download the appropriate CCC files for your card
  3. I've already done what you've mentioned, Except when i go to auto update sp2 isn't there. so im not sure whats up with that.
  4. I'd make a wager that your GPU is nuts.
  5. If thats the case, what GPU would you guy's recommend?
  6. Dagrum said:
    I've already done what you've mentioned, Except when i go to auto update sp2 isn't there. so im not sure whats up with that.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a4dd31d5-f907-4406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3&displaylang=en
    Install CCC as Admin
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Drivers Graphics Displays