Pls Help: 5870 Tearing and Artifacts

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 22, 2010 5:26:36 AM

My System:
1) 1 week old.
2) i5 760, Asus P7p55d-e Evo, Corsair hx750.
3) My video card is a Sapphire 5870 Vapor-x Rev 2.
4) The card has not seen gone above 62 degrees.

My problem:
1) Excessive tearing in FFXIV Beta.
2) Minor tearing in FFXIV Benchmark.
3) Artifacts (white dots / lines) on windows desktop, taskbar
4) Excessive artifacts (white dots, black rectangles) playing video files i.e. avi, realmedia

What I have tried:
1) I tried changing ram, tried both corsair and adata. Same problem.
2) I tried the newest drivers catalyst 10.8, 10.9. Same problem.
3) I tried downloading the latest codecs and 3 different players, vlc, kmp and media player classic. Same problem.
4) I overclock the card to the 900/1300. No more artifacts during video playback but still minor tearing in FFXIV.
5) I tried putting a gtx 460 in my system and the problems seems to be solved.
6) I bring the card back to the store I bought it from and they tested it and tell me the card is fine.

What should I do...?

More about : pls 5870 tearing artifacts

a c 234 U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 3:58:30 PM

If you run the card at stock speeds, does the problem go away? If so, you are OCing more than the GPU can reliably support and you may just need to crank back the OC a bit.

Also, keep in mind that you are playing a beta and it may be part of the problem. Are you having issues with other games/apps?

Last, if you pulled the case cover off of your case and ran the system, as is, does the GPU still produce artifacts? Just because you haven't seen the temps go above 62C, doesn't mean you don't have a heat problem. When OCing, you are stressing the entire system (PSU, CPU, GPE, memory, etc) and you may be putting too much stress on your system. Make sure your airflow is as optimized as possible for your particular config.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 4:27:52 PM

Overclocking solves the problem of the white dots?That's quite strange, but if the problem has been resolved , then its good.Also FFXIV is in beta so tearing and other glitches are normal.Try enabling Vsync.
m
l
!