Sign in with
Your question

How to repair n format your external hard drive

Last response: in Storage
February 24, 2013 3:57:52 PM

i hav a 1 tb wd external hard drive.once i accidently unplugged my hard drive while transfering thw data.now my computer cannot read it n cant format it.i downloaded the wd formater program but it does no good.how can i fix this one.
a b G Storage
February 24, 2013 4:51:03 PM

does it show up in disk manager? try there.
m
l
a c 342 G Storage
February 24, 2013 6:02:01 PM

I assume from your post you do not intend to try to recover any data from that drive. If that is wrong - if you DO want to recover data from it - DO NOT DO ANYTHING MORE! Your only chance of data recovery is with a drive that you have NOT written to and used since the problem happened.

Now, if you actually don't want old data from it, I expect you can't actually simply Format it. Sometimes the Partition info is corrupted so that Windows can't access the disk for that. Instead, using Disk Management's LOWER RIGHT pane, RIGHT-click on the Partition this HDD has and Delete it. Once your HDD is back to just Unallocated Space, you can RIGHT-click on that and choose to Partition and then to Format it. In many current systems, those last two steps are combined into one process called Initializing the HDD.
m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2013 12:20:39 PM

anonymous1 said:
does it show up in disk manager? try there.

Yesit does
m
l
a b G Storage
February 25, 2013 6:35:21 PM

Since you can see the drive in disk management you can try to assign a drive letter there.... if that does not work you may want to delete the partition and repartition and format the drive.
m
l
February 26, 2013 12:34:48 AM

Before you delete the partition or format the drive, you are supposed to copy off all your important data from this drive in case of any data loss.
m
l
February 26, 2013 12:36:20 AM

If you also cannot access the inner data for backing up, you need to select a faithful data recovery tool for help.
m
l
March 1, 2013 12:41:23 AM

it doesnt show partitioned this drive???????
m
l
a c 342 G Storage
March 1, 2013 1:58:09 AM

So you look at this drive in Disk Management. What does it show you? Is the large rectangle for that drive all called "Unallocated Space". If that is the case, you need to RIGHT-Click on that space and Initialize the drive, which will Create a Partition and Format it.

Or, do you see a block representing a Partition but with no letter name on the first line of info? Or, in the label for it, on the second line right after it says a size in GB, does it say "RAW"? Or does it say "NTFS" there? Each of these has a different solution, so what it says is important for us to help.
m
l
July 17, 2013 2:09:41 AM

Paperdoc said:
So you look at this drive in Disk Management. What does it show you? Is the large rectangle for that drive all called "Unallocated Space". If that is the case, you need to RIGHT-Click on that space and Initialize the drive, which will Create a Partition and Format it.

Or, do you see a block representing a Partition but with no letter name on the first line of info? Or, in the label for it, on the second line right after it says a size in GB, does it say "RAW"? Or does it say "NTFS" there? Each of these has a different solution, so what it says is important for us to help.
it shows as RAW in disk management but my disk management hangs when i attaches the hard disk to the computer

m
l
a c 342 G Storage
July 17, 2013 6:41:42 AM

I'm a little confused. You seem to be saying that, with the external drive already attached, you can open Disk Management and see it. It says its Format type is "RAW". But at some point, Disk Management stops working. Do you mean it works for a little while, enough to show you the drive, and then freezes? What do you do then - can you exit Disk Management normally? Or, do you just mean that Disk Management will not let you do anything with the drive? Can you use Disk Management to look at other drives, or is it completely frozen?
m
l
a c 342 G Storage
July 17, 2013 6:43:51 AM

I'm a little confused. You seem to be saying that, with the external drive already attached, you can open Disk Management and see it. It says its Format type is "RAW". But at some point, Disk Management stops working. Do you mean it works for a little while, enough to show you the drive, and then freezes? What do you do then - can you exit Disk Management normally? Or, do you just mean that Disk Management will not let you do anything with the drive? Can you use Disk Management to look at other drives, or is it completely frozen?
m
l
!