Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is my PSU / Motherboard / Harddrive dead or gone bad?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Hard Drives
  • Components
Last response: in Components
Share
February 8, 2011 3:39:00 AM

Ok so I have a problem guys, Yesterday I bought a graphics card, the ATI Radeon HD 5760 Visiontek. I installed it into my computer and it ran smoothly, but after a while i got disconnected from the internet, so i tried to unplug and plug the cable back in. No results. No network connection found. So then i scanned for hardware changes. Then i had a Vista update so i updated. and it messed up my hard drive so i had to restart my computer by holding the button down and turning it back on. I noticed it blinked a while before turning back on. So i ran ChkDsk and it fixed the harddrive. So i reinstalled windows. I logged back on and still no internet connection. After a little while my mouse and keyboard stopped working. So i had to restart it by holding the power button down again. This time when i tried to turn it on it wouldnt turn on, all i hear are the fans running which they are. The PSU is also running because i can feel hot air coming out. So i'm not sure that the PSU is dead. Everytime i try to turn it on the only thing i hear are the fans and the light in the front wont even turn on.
I researched the card and it says it needs to run at 400W and my PSU only runs at 300W. So i'm pretty sure the graphics card ruined it. So please i need someone to confirm that my PSU is dead before i buy a new one. Thanks!

More about : psu motherboard harddrive dead bad

February 8, 2011 3:42:36 AM

sketchedpest said:
Ok so I have a problem guys, Yesterday I bought a graphics card, the ATI Radeon HD 5760 Visiontek. I installed it into my computer and it ran smoothly, but after a while i got disconnected from the internet, so i tried to unplug and plug the cable back in. No results. No network connection found. So then i scanned for hardware changes. Then i had a Vista update so i updated. and it messed up my hard drive so i had to restart my computer by holding the button down and turning it back on. I noticed it blinked a while before turning back on. So i ran ChkDsk and it fixed the harddrive. So i reinstalled windows. I logged back on and still no internet connection. After a little while my mouse and keyboard stopped working. So i had to restart it by holding the power button down again. This time when i tried to turn it on it wouldnt turn on, all i hear are the fans running which they are. The PSU is also running because i can feel hot air coming out. So i'm not sure that the PSU is dead. Everytime i try to turn it on the only thing i hear are the fans and the light in the front wont even turn on.
I researched the card and it says it needs to run at 400W and my PSU only runs at 300W. So i'm pretty sure the graphics card ruined it. So please i need someone to confirm that my PSU is dead before i buy a new one. Thanks!

Sorry for posting again but i forgot to mention
My PSU is 5 years old and runs at 300W
and it ran smoothly before i put in the card. Never had problems booting up, never had problems turning off. Until one day i put in the graphics card, ran for a little. Started having problems. Tried to fix it, had more problems. So idk.
m
0
l
a c 1217 ) Power supply
February 8, 2011 4:05:19 AM

I've never heard of a Radeon HD 5760. I know there is a Radeon HD 5670 that will draw a maximum of 5.3 Amps from the +12 Volt rail. Since the Radeon HD 5670 requires less than 75 Watts of power it doesn't need any PCI Express Supplementary Power Connectors and is completely powered through the PCI Express x16 slot.

What is the make and model of your 300 Watt power supply unit?
m
0
l
Related resources
February 8, 2011 1:12:19 PM

ko888 said:
I've never heard of a Radeon HD 5760. I know there is a Radeon HD 5670 that will draw a maximum of 5.3 Amps from the +12 Volt rail. Since the Radeon HD 5670 requires less than 75 Watts of power it doesn't need any PCI Express Supplementary Power Connectors and is completely powered through the PCI Express x16 slot.

What is the make and model of your 300 Watt power supply unit?

Oh sorry, it is the ATI RRadeon5670. The manufacturers are SU US it says the max is 300W with 12v rails aand +5v rails. And there's something that says CAN'T EXCEED 150W right next to that.
m
0
l
a c 1217 ) Power supply
February 8, 2011 6:44:09 PM

sketchedpest said:
Oh sorry, it is the ATI RRadeon5670. The manufacturers are SU US it says the max is 300W with 12v rails aand +5v rails. And there's something that says CAN'T EXCEED 150W right next to that.

It's the DC Output specifications that I'm interested in. I need to know the exact Amperage values of each rail and the combined wattage specifications printed on the label that is affixed to the power supply.

Is your computer a pre-built (e.g. Acer, Dell, Gateway, HP, ..., etc.) or custom build? If it's a pre-built, please specify the make and model of the system.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2011 12:48:44 AM

your psu is probably crap. what is the exact model number? how many amps/watts does the +12v rail have? it will say on the label on the psu?
m
0
l
February 9, 2011 1:15:05 AM

shovenose said:
your psu is probably crap. what is the exact model number? how many amps/watts does the +12v rail have? it will say on the label on the psu?

I'm not sure but it was the default one it came with 5 years ago. I'm starting to think it might be the motherboard though. Because I can still feel the PSU in the back and the fans still run, does this mean the PSU still works?
m
0
l
April 23, 2011 7:20:37 AM

This is a few months old, but worth replying to.

The problem is fully due to your Power Supply Unit (PSU).

The hd5670 requires 400w power supply, and you have a 300.
Not only that, but most PSU's that come with computers are pure, and utter, garbage.

You have two options:

Remove the hd5670 and go back to using your onboard video
OR
Replace the power supply with an antec, or another well known 80% + certified PSU, and live happy with your new graphic card, and plenty of power. Go with the 550w (give or take) version, and it should last you for a very long time.
(this will run you around 50 bucks, but it's worth it, and it's rather easy to swap out)




(TLDR)Too long, didn't read version - The reason your USB / PS2 / ethernet ports are failing is because the power is being drained, and your PSU is too poopy to sustain everything you got going on.
m
0
l
!