Can you use a PCI 2.0 16x graphics card with a PCI 8x Mother board

Sam85

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Hello,
I just purchased an EVGA P55V 120-LF-E651-TR LGA Mother board and an EVGA 01G-P3-1158-TR graphics card. I was told by EVGA tech support that the two products were compatible, but after assembling my PC the monitor receives no signal from either of the DVI ports on the card. Is there an issue with using a PCI 2.0 16x card with a PCI 8x Mother Board? Thanks

brianthesnail

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Hi sam
on some motherboards theres a switch card which totally disables the un-used pci-express bus... this will then dedicate the whole 16 lanes to the remaining slot....
this annoyed me when manufactuers released sli/xfire boards with x8 buses... in theory you gaining no extra bandwidth and the only extra performance is the core,shader and memory clock speeds aswell as the extra memory buffer (vram)
i had a similar problem with a asrock board and a radeon x1950pro ... while the board would happily run my XFX GTS250... it refused to support the x1950pro... ..solution ...access bios and check vga support... for some reason my gts250 was running while set to the "pci" option ... i changed this to "pci-express" and saved and exited... then accessed the desktop using safe mode>low resolution mode (640x480) .. install drivers and this should sort out the problem
when you experience any display/graphic card problem allways try low resolution mode first... this uses basis "vga drivers" to access the desktop.... this then allows you to install any drivers or diagnose any problems...
hope this helps,any problems let me know
good luck sam !

Sam85

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Yes, the PCI-E power cable is plugged in and my PSU is a 650W unit. I should have mentioned previously that I have no OS installed on the Hard Drive, but I would think that my graphics card would still be able to display the BIOS screen.