Compaq Armada M700: PII-400 vs. P3-1GHz

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
January 25, 2005 5:26:00 AM

I recently purchased a Compaq Armada M700 with a Penitum II-M 400MHz
processor, but upon doing searches for drivers, etc. I found that many
Compaq Armada M700's are listed Pentium 3-1GHz'es.
> Were these produced a different year?
> Are they hardware compatible? To what degree?
> Can I upgrade my processor to the P3 without changing mo.bo.?
> Where the heck can I just get spec sheets? Good comprehensive
resource out there for laptops/desktops/etc?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 25, 2005 11:06:26 AM

maxwellb@gmail.com wrote:
> I recently purchased a Compaq Armada M700 with a Penitum II-M 400MHz
> processor, but upon doing searches for drivers, etc. I found that many
> Compaq Armada M700's are listed Pentium 3-1GHz'es.
>> Were these produced a different year?
>> Are they hardware compatible? To what degree?
>> Can I upgrade my processor to the P3 without changing mo.bo.?
>> Where the heck can I just get spec sheets? Good comprehensive
> resource out there for laptops/desktops/etc?

alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq: there are very knowledgeable posters on this
group that will have the real answer to your query. FWIW, Compaq has a
history of the base model relating to what looks like case design with
many sub-categories for internals. The two processors you note are not
a natural progression for upgrades. Expect the two to have markedly
different mainboard construction to support incompatible chipsets. The
PII-400 is near the end of the line for the PII.

a b D Laptop
February 3, 2005 9:32:31 PM

thank you.
!