Video Driver crushes with Windows 7 Aero interface

G

I had a long story of trying to run a new Sapphire Radeon HD 4650 AGP graphic card on my old PC. Finally, having read several dozens of articles and forum pages on the Internet, I did manage to make Windows 7 accept the ATI/AMD driver instead of cyclical restarting on startup. Older NVidia drivers are removed, registry cleaned, etc.

Now I am on the second stage: driver works fine with Basic/Classic interface. If I decide to switch to Aero, any program can potentially cause driver crush (black screen and then Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered message). I don't believe it's a power issue as all the games that require high performance run properly (please don't suggest to try other power supply unit). On the other hand the use of office applications and even browsers leads to driver restarts, e.g. it is almost inevitable when I am typing a message in The Bat! mail client.

I've seen some similar problems but no solution so far. Any idea?

Motherboard Abit NF7-S v2.0., nVidia2 chipset
BIOS v.27 (v.28 is the latest but according to changes log it does not fix anything relevant)
CPU AMD Athlon XP 3200+
RAM 2×1GB DDR400 (i.e. 2 GB)
Sapphire Radeon HD 4650 - 512 MB GDDR2 - AGP 512 MB
PSU AOpen AO350-12APNF 350 W (again, it's not what causes to my problem)

Driver: 10-7_agp-hotfix_vista_win7_32_dd_ccc.exe (was the newest one when I installed it about a month ago)

G

I do meet those requirements. With an old Gf 7600GS there were no problems with Aero.
Unless you have tested said Power supply, you can not eliminate it as a source of trouble. You can think it isn't related to the PSU, but you can not be certain.
Agree, but it the most unlikely cause of the problem. According to PSU reviews I have one of the best PSU in its class; besides, I unplugged 2 DVD drives, 1 HDD (out of 2), etc, while the problem persisted. As I mentioned, games like Stalker run properly with the top settings, while simple office applications do not.
I would suggest you go to ATI.com and get the 10.9 release to see if it helps.
Thank you, will try that on the weekend.

CG_Gamer

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
make sure the card is at stock clocks as well, i find that when i overclock at all, the card becomes unstable with anything other than games, i.e. media, and aero

ROOT GUT

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

I'M POSITIVE THIS SHOULD BE MARKED "SOLVED" AS THIS IS THE FIX AND TOO MANY PEOPLE THINK THEIR GPU MODEL # makes any difference when everyone has the same display "glitches". Thank the lord I finally read this , I was getting so impatient reading the same idiotic Threads I was about to swear off this Forum and site for life! Man that really pissed me off to blank that little thing..,..

THANK GOD!!! Finally someone responded not only correctly but reminded even me what I have been spaced out in hopeless Optimism I'd brilliantly recall the fix to this extremely prevalent and repetitive Display dll failing to inject because I actually have My CPU (E5300) OC'd from its 2000 - or 2.5 with mutli to 3350 ghz! DDR 3 16gig Ram OC'd so razor sharp they have their own cooling but by Asus Radeon HD 7770 Hz Silent/Fanless is a Freaking MONSTER. Uses heat to run faster and GPU tweaks up from 800 to 840 without ever failing....except when the stupid ATI beta Fk everyone's Drivers up every month that own solid Driver/System Software and overclocked ancient PC and WAY Over confident - over preforming GPU that enjoys running at 155c temps.
I wasted over 2 hrs speed scanning for ANYONE to at least ASK for help correctly and intelligently - after quickly seeing that as futile I started obsessively searching for the answer I couldn't remeber - like a Meth Head or some sh*t. Anyway. Thank You ! This is the EXACT same problem everyone that loses "aero" first then can't update drivers, etc. They all leave the ASUS TWEAK TOOL on but its hidden in services and I don't think most people have a clue why the OC software doesn't actually stop when they click the "X". lol.

I'm too angry to spread it around but so many have the problem and horrible advice like uninstalling "browser booster" and "Game Booster" will fix the problem... written like they are admins...and everyone actually types "Doesn't work for me" no matter how many others already have. Who the hell has trash like that installed on their PC anyway... man.

Sorry - I had to rant. No got to start work already and it's going to be another day of pissed off Bitcoin investor account I trade freaking out The currency isn't still earning them $650 a week.

TRENDING THREADS