Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HELP!! Need advise before RMA (ASAP)

Last response: in Storage
Share
February 24, 2013 6:02:27 PM

I own a Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB HDD and was working for the past month now.
On my power supply , I stripped some of the connectors in order to connect a fan and didnt insulate to 12V and ground
Yesterday accidentaly moved the fan and the wires touched and there was a loud spark from the psu and it was dead
I replaced the psu with another one and all my components seem to work fine,but

Today my WD Black started making a faint clicking noise upon startup and dissapears after abt 15 seconds

My question is , I bought the HDD from a local computer supplier and have contacted him and he told to bring the hdd in order to be checked by the technician to see if the hdd requires a replacement

Will the technician be able to figure out that my electrical accident killed the drive or it doesnt affect it

Please reply ASAP as this Hdd cost me a lot and I dont want to lose it

Thank you

More about : advise rma asap

February 24, 2013 8:41:02 PM

Personally I dont see how the technician can see what caused the HDD to die. I just dont see how he would do it. Unless there is some major sign that something happened on the HDD itself (ex. Sign of burn or other damge etc.).
February 24, 2013 9:06:42 PM

FlaveRo said:
Personally I dont see how the technician can see what caused the HDD to die. I just dont see how he would do it. Unless there is some major sign that something happened on the HDD itself (ex. Sign of burn or other damge etc.).


Does this look like it is damaged to you?




Note the golden dots on the bottom right have blackened a bit

Any opinions would be much appreciated
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b G Storage
February 25, 2013 7:15:40 AM

No bumping. Not here.

Your drive is dead, I doubt the shop will know, and the manufacture won't care. Just your conscience.
February 25, 2013 7:17:40 AM

No need to bump, but the bottom right of that picture looks like it over-heated pretty bad. The flux is all discolored. A reasonable electrical tech will see that.

Are you going to explain to him what happened? It will help him figure out why it's not working.
February 25, 2013 8:06:34 AM

tigerg said:
No need to bump, but the bottom right of that picture looks like it over-heated pretty bad. The flux is all discolored. A reasonable electrical tech will see that.

Are you going to explain to him what happened? It will help him figure out why it's not working.


I dont think I eplained it in the post, the drive is working fine, only a very faint clicking during the first 15 sec of startup then it works fine for hours, the thing is will this clicking increase over time and should I consider a replacement

If was looking to replace it I would never mention the Psu accident
February 25, 2013 8:16:58 AM

I read that you can clean the flux using rubbing alcohol
I am having another old wd 80gb which the pcb is discolored pretty bad but seems to be working fine
The max temp the hard disk reached was 42C, is this bad?
February 25, 2013 9:48:01 PM

It does look like the temp went a bit overboard. And yes you can clean that off. Here is my suggestion if you feel right about doing this let the tech come, allow hime to take a look if he mentions the bottem right and anything else that may have been damaged tell him about the psu, if he does not mention it dont tell. But you yourself knows what happened so yes, do what you think is right.
February 25, 2013 9:57:51 PM

FlaveRo said:
It does look like the temp went a bit overboard. And yes you can clean that off. Here is my suggestion if you feel right about doing this let the tech come, allow hime to take a look if he mentions the bottem right and anything else that may have been damaged tell him about the psu, if he does not mention it dont tell. But you yourself knows what happened so yes, do what you think is right.


I rubbed some of it using pencil rubber and it seems to be fine

their warranty clearly states it is void with power supply issues, so I wont mention that (Call me evil but hey)

I'll visit them tomorrow and post what happened
!