Sign in with
Your question

Help w/PC built using March Budget PC Specs, won't Post!

Last response: in Memory
October 11, 2011 6:12:22 PM

K, so I built a pc following the specs listed in march

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-gaming-pc-ph...

Only changes were:

I upped the RAM sticks from 2 to 4 so I'd have 8GB instead of 4GB.

Added a Sound Blaster Xi-Fi card.

Used my 1 TB drive.

Thing is I'm having a problem with the RAM. I can use 2 sticks, but when I try to go to all 4, the computer won't post! I returned my first board thinking it was defective and I had the exact same problem with the replacement! :fou: 

This is the RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?cm_mmc=BAC-T...

This is the board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?cm_mmc=BAC-T...

Help!?! :( 
a b } Memory
October 11, 2011 6:35:02 PM

With all four installed, can you access your BIOS? If not, and you can only go with 2, are you running manual or auto settings for your memory timings? I suggest changing to AUTO and running at default speeds to see if that helps.
m
l
October 11, 2011 6:48:12 PM

Quote:
With all four installed, can you access your BIOS?

Nope. Just have a black screen. Can hear fans running, but that's it.

Quote:
If not, and you can only go with 2, are you running manual or auto settings for your memory timings? I suggest changing to AUTO and running at default speeds to see if that helps.

It's set to Auto. :/ 
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
October 11, 2011 6:56:46 PM

Likely a power issue. What make/model of power supply are you using and are both the 24-pin and 4/8-pin aux power connectors firmly connected to the motherboard (click into place)?
m
l
a b } Memory
October 11, 2011 8:04:57 PM

Sounds like a voltage setting issue. You are using 1.5v memory. Look in your BIOS to see what it uses as its default levels. Report back with the results.
m
l
October 11, 2011 11:49:03 PM

Looks like it's set to 1.48. c.c
m
l
a b } Memory
October 12, 2011 12:45:22 AM

Try setting to 1.5 and try and then to 1.55 if that doesn't work.
m
l
October 12, 2011 3:50:23 AM

Bios won't let me pick 1.5, so I tried 1.53 (next level up). No dice. Also tried 1.59 and 1.65 and it didn't work. :cry:  I noticed that when my Bios opens up it states that the board is set to single channel memory mode, but I can't find an option to change it. >_<
m
l
a b } Memory
October 12, 2011 1:20:50 PM

Does it operate in dual channel mode with only 2 installed?
m
l
October 12, 2011 1:29:52 PM

Check and see what BIOs version you have, the latest BIOS on the ASRock site for your mobo is 1.80 dated 30/8/2011.
m
l
a b } Memory
October 12, 2011 2:03:40 PM

haque said:
Bios won't let me pick 1.5, so I tried 1.53 (next level up). No dice. Also tried 1.59 and 1.65 and it didn't work. :cry:  I noticed that when my Bios opens up it states that the board is set to single channel memory mode, but I can't find an option to change it. >_<

Single vs. Dual channel is something auto detected by the BIOS based on the memory installed. You typically can't set this on many motherboards. From a practical standpoint, the performance difference between the 2 modes is largely negligible for the vast majority of users.

Regardless, there are 2 possibilities here. Defective memory (or memory controller) or incompatible memory.

Double check the BIOS version (as suggested by tobensg and then check your memory, one stick at a time to verify they are good.
m
l
October 12, 2011 2:12:48 PM

COLGeek said:
Single vs. Dual channel is something auto detected by the BIOS based on the memory installed. You typically can't set this on many motherboards. From a practical standpoint, the performance difference between the 2 modes is largely negligible for the vast majority of users.

Regardless, there are 2 possibilities here. Defective memory (or memory controller) or incompatible memory.

Double check the BIOS version (as suggested by tobensg and then check your memory, one stick at a time to verify they are good.

Bios version is 1.7 Guess my next question is how do I update that?

I rotated all 4 sticks and they'll work either individually or 2 together, but all 4 will not work at the same time.

The sticks are in channel A1 and A2 respectively. And even though I have 2 sticks in there, dual channel will not show as active in the Bios.

I don't think the memory is incompatible unless I missed something when I was purchasing it. >_<

Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Board: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?model=m3a770de
m
l
a b } Memory
October 12, 2011 3:02:24 PM

The memory is pretty vanilla and should work in just about any DDR3 application. That being said, that particular memory is not listed on the QVL for the motherboard. It shouldn't matter in this case.

Updating the BIOS is pretty easy. Go here and read the instructions on how to flash:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=M3A770DE&o=...
m
l
October 12, 2011 6:18:41 PM

Updated BIOs successfully.

Loaded RAM......

Black Screen of unbooting PC. /beats head on desk :fou: 
m
l
a b } Memory
October 12, 2011 6:29:41 PM

Add only a single pair and see what happens.
m
l
October 13, 2011 4:43:16 AM

Seems like it doesn't matter how many sticks I have in, the moment I add RAM to slots A2 or B2, the computer will not boot up.
m
l
a b } Memory
October 13, 2011 10:55:00 AM

I suspect that the CPU (integrated memory controller) is the problem, since you have swapped mobos and have the same results.
m
l
October 13, 2011 7:02:04 PM

...... Seriously? :fou: 

Is there any way for me to verify/check before I try to return it? Cuz I REALLY don't want to wait a week and wind up with the same results if that's not the problem.
m
l
a b } Memory
October 14, 2011 12:22:43 AM

Do you have another AMD CPU in another system you could swap in?
m
l
October 14, 2011 2:38:30 AM

Not an AM2, no. :|
m
l
a b } Memory
October 14, 2011 11:26:39 AM

haque said:
Not an AM2, no. :|

Then you are stuck with either 8GB of memory or requesting an RMA for your processor, at this point. Sorry.
m
l
November 2, 2011 3:26:59 AM

Sooo....

Got my replacement CPU and THE SAME F***KING PROBLEM IS STILL THERE!!!! :fou:  /pounds head against desk.

I'm out of ideas at this point, prolly just going to throw in the towel and send back 2 of the RAM sticks for a refund.
m
l
November 4, 2011 4:02:37 PM

Turns out 2 much time has passed since initial purchase, I can't get a refund. :fou: 

IDK what to do, any suggestions?
m
l
November 5, 2011 11:15:14 AM

haque said:
Turns out 2 much time has passed since initial purchase, I can't get a refund. :fou: 

IDK what to do, any suggestions?

I wouldn't suspect bad cpu but rather bad socket(s)... no?
m
l
November 7, 2011 1:03:14 PM

Uhm, I replaced the mobo already so it's not that I don't think. Unless you meant something else? :s
m
l
November 18, 2011 1:26:43 AM

BUMP
m
l
!