Sign in with
Your question

Modem connect to internet but router does not

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
August 16, 2010 3:34:25 PM

Came home the other day, and router wasn't showing a network. After playing with it a while, re-installing, powering off, etc, I assumed the router went bad (it was serveral yeards old). I bought a new Linksys router. I have DSL thru att and have a internet conection to my desktop with no issues. When I install the router(hard wired to desktop), no internet connection. The router seems to be working fine, as it will let me complete the instalation and configure the router. My xbox sees the linksys network and will even connect to it, but again, no internet connection. I've tried everything I can think of but am stumped. Anyone ever have a similar issue? Please help.
Anonymous
August 16, 2010 4:20:09 PM

What happens when you connect your computer directly to the modem ?
m
l
Anonymous
August 16, 2010 4:55:32 PM

Quote:
What happens when you connect your computer directly to the modem ?

When connected directly to the modem, I have an internet connection with no problems. Once router is installed, I lose the internet connection. My router shows I am connected to the modem, but with no internet connection
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
August 16, 2010 10:58:02 PM

You've done all the stuff with switching modem and router off and then back on ?

If using wireless, try turning off wireless security in the router and see what happens.

Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.
m
l
Anonymous
August 17, 2010 1:33:47 PM

Have tried all that and still no luck.
m
l
December 23, 2011 4:09:53 PM

Quote:
Have tried all that and still no luck.

we have the same problem.... i almost lost hope with this problem.... will anyone can help me?
m
l
March 8, 2012 12:20:03 PM

Did you fix this yet? Could be a Win sock error. I am having the same problem trying to get a desktop to work wireless adapter. When I did the diagnostic it asked if I wanted to reset the winsock to original config and I said yes but this did not fix the problem. If you type winsock error into google there is a bunch of stuff that comes up including fixes. Not sure if this is the prob or not. Have to work on it some more tonight when I get home from work :-)
m
l
!