I need advice on upgrading my PC or building one from scratch.

Tanukitsune

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
My PC is starting to show it's age... the DVD drive doesn't even read some DVD and sometimes it's not even detected and my graphic card can no longer run any modern game. My friends suggested I go to this site and ask for advice.

Here are the specs:

It's an Aspire M3100 although it's not exactly the same as the manufacturer's site says.

Graphic Card: ATI RADEON HD 2400 PRO
Realtek High Definition Audio card
AMD Athlon 64 X" Dual Core 5600+
3GB of Ram
500 GB SATA hard drive (nearly full)
AMD 690G chipset mother board (I'm not entire sure about this one)

Is there anymore specs I need to give out?

I'm willing to spend from 600€ to €1000 and I want to upgrade it enough to last a while gaming wise? Or just upgrade it enough to run the current games smoothly.

I'd love to have a small SDD just for Windows and maybe a few more essential programs? And I could get a Blu-Ray drive to replace my broken DVD drive if it's cost effective... I'm open for suggestions on anything else, I'm willing to spend a few Euro, but not too much.

I do know enough to know how to build a PC from scratch, although the last time I did built one from scratch they used IDE cables and I had to mess with jumpers.... From what I've heard things have gotten easier? :p

Well... I suggest you take that 600-1000 euros and spend it buying a new build entirely. I don't live in Europe (I live in the US) So I can't say for cost. But what are some trust able sites where you live? Are you open to Amazon? That way I could help you.

I mean some parts to recommend, based off a straight up conversion from 1000 euros to us is 1371$. That's actually a lot of money to get parts. We could just spend 1000$ and that'd be like 729 euros if my converter is correct. That's actually a lot as well.. From what I hear, the GTX 460 has dropped significantly down in Europe.

So here is what I think you should use. Of couse just a rough sketch.

SLI 460s I think from a quick amazon germany it was 280 euros. Of course that's just rough, umm that'll defiantly give you like 1000x the graphical performance from the old 2400 Pro. I went from X800 pro to 5850 OC to 5870, and it was like.... SO MUCH BETTER. Of course even a single 460 will be a huge improv. Ummm what res you running btw?

Another CPU I highly recommend is the i5 750, look into that. it was 170 on Amazon DE.

Mobo-wise and ram wise we'll discuss after the sites as from what I've seen pricing is like 10x different as well as brands.

Umm.... PSU as well..

As for HDD I recommend a Samsung F3 1TB as your main drive, really great for the price and it's an exeptional value and performance. For your boot drive, I recommend the Vertex 2, but if you can find the A-Data S599 then go for that, just as good. In general any Sand Force controller SSD would be good of the newer gen.

Tanukitsune

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010

I live in Spain, we don't have Amazon here, but we do have local stores and I think Media Markt is a chain in all of Europe?

I'll check the prices of those components in my area...

My resolution is 1680X1050...

If I can't get a good computer for 600-800€, I'd rather spend 600-800 than 1000?

umm the 600-800 euros in us if converted is over 1000$ that's quiet alot for a computer, even a decent one. Build this yourself though, if you get OEM computers they just rip you off. Umm could i get one with a website so I could help you out?

At 1680 resolution, an AMD build will probably give you the most felxibility in buying parts and the best value. In the US, once your budget goes over $800, an Intel i5 750, a GTX 460 1GB or an HD 6850, a Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB or 1TB HD, a quality power supply 500W+ (ideally Seasonic, Corsair, or Antec), and 2x2GB of 1333 CL9 memory are the guts of a build that would be hard to beat for gaming.

I don't know the prices in your area - my understanding is that often your prices are the same in Euros as ours in dollars. But check the price on the parts I've given you - if its in your budget (and it should be) you'd have a gaming system that will last a long time at 1680 resolution, and do very well at 1920 if you buy a larger screen some day.

^ Not what I heard, their 460's are a lot more expensive if we switch euros to dollars, so are their ram kits and just everything in general. At least that's what I've seen from any Euro site that is like Amazon.

Tanukitsune

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010

I was thinking of getting an OEM until I heard of SSD, getting one for the O.S. seems SOOOO nice!

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, are you talking about OEM manufacturer sites or hardware sites?

I'm pretty sure that OEMs are the same everywhere as for hardware:
http://www.gruporedonline.com/list.php?PHPSESSID=f18fa3acec540eee7dd1ed322f57cbb6
http://www.pccity.es/index.jsp
Unfortunately the sites are in Spanish...

My sister works says she can get me parts from her company's provider cheaper than from a store.

Well, the Intel you suggested is 170€, but it would probably be more after taxes, I could find the exact graphic card though only GTX 465...

Should I keep my motherboard and PC case? I'm not sure anybody has mentioned that yet.

You don't want a 465. Can you find an HD 6850 (equal to 460), HD 5830 (a little slower than 460), HD 5850 (faster than 460)?

If you go Intel, can't keep your mobo. Dunno what your case looks like, so its up to you.

Umm you should just have a large budget of 900 euros and make a new computer entirely. The reason why no one mentioned anything is because your mobo and pc case probably wouldn't even fit half the things we mention. Also the Mobo is not compatible with intel sockets.... So... why woulld we tell you to re-use a dead socket?

Umm... Here is the thing I mean when I say OEM, I mean like HP or Gateway kind of OEM, they'll rip you off for sure, they over charge everything.

Here's a build I would do or just ask your sister if she can get these parts.

1x i5 750
1x or 2x GTX 460 (depending on what the end total is)
Another graphical option is this, 1x or 2x 6850 (pick which one is cheaper the 6850 or the GTX 460)
1x Antec 300 case
1x LGA 1156 mobo, what brands are available. From what I've seen in Spain or just europe in general the MSI P55-GD65 USB3 is cheap, or this specific Asrock model.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157206

1x Any ram kit really, like I recommend Corsair since I don't really see Mushkin over in europe. That or G-Skill

1x (boot drive) OCZ Vertex 2 60gb or if you can find it the A-Data S599 64gb. In the US the S599 is cheaper for on par performance, but the Vertex 2 seems more available in Europe.

1x Samsung F3 1TB

1x Corsair HX psu or Cooler Master Silent Pro depending which one is cheaper, We'll just determine wattage after we find out which things you get for your build. I haven't seen it in Europe but if you can find the XFX series PSU's then go for it if there cheaper, in the US there cheaper than the Corsair ones.

Others we'll determine later. But a good cooler is the Hyper 212+, cheap and effective everywhere.

Tanukitsune

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Oooh..kaaay, it looks like the fates are against me... It looks my 360 got the green screen of death and it's out of warranty, depending on how much the repairs cost I'll either buy less expensive parts or just postpone it until next year and save for pretty good parts... :(