Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade from Gigabyte GA-8I848PM

Last response: in Motherboards
October 11, 2011 9:00:19 PM

My motherboard has broken =( and it is a sad sad day. It's fairly cheap to replace like-for-like so not too fussed. When I've been looking round, a lot of the mobo's are pretty much the same price, so my question is....

Is it worth getting a different motherboard to one I had previously had? Is there any upgrade from what I had?

Previous motherboard - Gigabyte GA-8I848PM
Processor - P4 3.4GHz
RAM - 2x1GB DDR333 DIMM
Gfx - ATI Radeon HD3850 512MB (AGP)

I think my processors one of the better P4's so I'm not bothered about upgrading that.

I know the basic things about components, but I know there's a lot of other spec's which they have and I have no clue as to how important they are or what they actually do.

Thanks =)
a c 1163 V Motherboard
October 11, 2011 9:07:15 PM

Your hardware will not fit current motherboards either a cheap used socket 478 replacement board from ebay or a full system upgrade are your options.
a b V Motherboard
October 12, 2011 2:53:03 AM

Tons of upgrades. Different boards, video cards, 4 newer generations of cpu's, cpu's with ondie video, faster and bigger (and more) hard drives, major upgrades to ram - you got 2?? Lots, ( I'd say most but I don't want to start arguments lol) people have 8 Gigs of ram nowadays.

Question is - DO YOU NEED TO DO MORE WITH YOUR COMPUTER OR IS WHAT YOU HAVE ALL YOU NEED/WANT ?

^ * ^ rolli59 is correct of course. What you got is pretty much top of the line for that age, may up some ram but that's it. Only choice for upgrade is complete new build.
October 12, 2011 7:26:37 PM

No worries, I'll just buy the same motherboard I had, it was just out of curiosity really. I'll get a new PC when I'm graduated and earning some money finally =)

Thanks anyways guys.
!