Any compatibility problems you can see?

acdc1000

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Hi guys, I have put together a list for my new computer. Do you see any problems with this setup? I am a little concerned about the RAM.
Should I be getting an 8GB set if i will be doing a fair bit of video burning/editing/encoding or will a faster 4GB do the trick?

Motherboard - ASUS P7P55D-E PRO
CPU - i7 870
CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H50
Case - Antec Nine Hundred Two
RAM - Corsair CMX4GX3M2A2000C9 4GB (2x2) DDR3
PSU - Corsair TX-650
GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTS 450 1GB Overclocked
HHD - 2 x WD Cavier black 1TB WD1002TAEX
ODR - Pioneer DDR-205 bluray Read/Writer
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Thanks

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
A few points ---

1. You're much better off going with the i7 9xx series processors. I'll say get an i7 950 + Asus Sabertooth. If you really want to save some money, get a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T with an ASRock 770 EXTREME3.

Edit: i7 950+Asus Sabertooth

2. You wont need a water cooler. Not even close. In fact, if you don't intend to OC, you'll actually not need any aftermarket cooler at all. Even if you do intend to OC substantially, an air cooler from CM, Scythe, Noctua etc will do just fine. Save yourself the hassle (& the money).

3. You'll need at least 8GB memory. Not that you cant do with 4, but the more the merrier. 16 will be better than 8 I suppose.

4. For the build outlined, that PSU is way overkill. Get a 500Watt one (absolute max) or even a 450Watt 80+ rated one from CM, Corsair, Antec, XFX, Seasonic etc.

Lastly, wait for a few more weeks. With new technology coming out from both Intel & AMD, it'll make a lot of sense IMO to check out the reviews before deciding on pulling the trigger.

acdc1000

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Thanks very much for your advice, I will do some more research and come up with something better. And for some decent saving, I think I will follow your advice.
Cheers :)

acdc1000

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I think I am still going to stick with the i7 870 + Asus P&P55D-E PRO why? By the time I am due to upgrade both will probably be old tech and there is only minimal benifits to the 950 from what I have read. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/280811-31-mobo-usb3-sata3-16lane
I mean like in 2-3 years time It should still be an OK system?......I think :??:

2. You wont need a water cooler. Not even close. In fact, if you don't intend to OC, you'll actually not need any aftermarket cooler at all. Even if you do intend to OC substantially, an air cooler from CM, Scythe, Noctua etc will do just fine. Save yourself the hassle (& the money).
The Case I am using has quite a bit of cooling fans anyway which probably supports your No Cooler Idea, however it seems just about every where i read it is recommended to "extra" cool the CPU. Originally I was going with Noctur NH-U12P SE2 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_23_845&products_id=12931 but I read a few reviews on the Corsair HydroH50 and seemed comparable if not better so I went with that choice.

I will be changing my RAM and probably go 8GB....stay tuned for my choice!

Yeah, I agree with Cal, and another thing which has hit the market this week is that the prices are going to drop after the 30th, and , the drop is nearly by 30% so I'd suggest don't jump to anything right now just wait up a little.....
alyoshka, When you say 30% do you mean off the CPU and Mobo?

How would the Corsair VX550 fair? or you still would recomend the VX450? Will the extra fan make any much difference to choice?

Thanks again for you advice :D

The H50 is a gimmick. It's gets trounced by the better air coolers. A scythe Mugen 2 2100 can be had for $40 and outperform it. The Megahalems outperforms the H70.

See benchmarkreviews.com cooling section for the specifics.

I'd echo the Sabertooth / 950 for movie editing

acdc1000

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

I read the review (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2535-16.html) and decided to drop the H50 and go for the Scythe Mugan 2 Rev B. I just hope it dont take up too much room.

acdc1000

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Your RAM is not the same model as the QVL for Asus..... it would be safer to go with a RAM on the QVL cos of the on processor die mem controller.....

Ok, According to Asus websites (http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=T2FxW2fXGZQgSn2V) QVL here is my choices sofar:

Option1 - G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-6GBBNQ (3x2GB) DDR3 (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_538_914&products_id=13602)

Option2 - Corsair TR3X6G1333C9 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_538_914&products_id=15463

Option3 - Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 ([http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_538_914&products_id=15459][/url])

Option4 - The Asus QVL doesnt say it supports any 8GB kits but I am assuming that just means I should get 2x4GB sticks? But They dont support that either? So 4x2GB sticks???

Thats as far as I got. Some help from the community will be much appreciated.

Yes, 4 x 2GB is the best combo for Asus boards, from my experience with these boards, I'd say, it is always better to have all the memory slots full instead of one big stick or two medium sticks.....
I don't know why, but I have always found my rigs to be more stable when all the slots were full of the same size, make and model of RAMs..... a lot more stable and cooler when I just use half the number of slots on the board.
It's funny, but, it's my experience..... although it makes upgrading my RAM quantity a pain, but, I have never needed to go beyond the 8GB quantity.

acdc1000

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

Here is my updated system:

Motherboard - ASUS P7P55D-E PRO
CPU - i7 870
CPU Cooler - Sycthe Mugan 2 Rev B.
Case - Antec Nine Hundred Two
RAM - 2 x G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ (2x2GB) DDR3
PSU - Corsair TX-550
GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTS 450 1GB Overclocked
HHD - 2 x WD Cavier black 1TB WD1002TAEX
ODR - Pioneer DDR-205 bluray Read/Writer
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Now according to alyoshka
Yeah, I agree with Cal, and another thing which has hit the market this week is that the prices are going to drop after the 30th, and , the drop is nearly by 30% so I'd suggest don't jump to anything right now just wait up a little.....
I will wait :( and see if there are some price reductions :D come end of month.

Thanks for you help guys

acdc1000

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

Alyoshka, where did you get this info from?

It's all over the Asian market...... dealers and distributors have stopped stocking stuff for this reason alone..... so it's the inside story I guess, these things do pop up once in a year , I just have to be sure when I should be buying stuff and when to wait....

acdc1000

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

Thats ok, I wasnt having a go at you. I am sure you would say that for a reason.
I wonder when this is likly to effect the Australian market? (they are behind in quite a few things :lol: )
I'm only guessing, but wouldn't retailers hold there prices until the new stuff comes out? which i thought will be next year?

varis

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

Just all the CPU prices? Then it'd cut total system cost by about 6% - worth the wait for some, probably.

How come Intel and AMD are dropping prices at the same time?

varis

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
@alyoshka: I also thought the big vendors give price guarantees to distributors/retailers - otherwise there would be very little sense in stocking hardware, since price cuts in the PC market are very frequent.

@acdc1000: Maybe the vendors thought it's a good idea to cut prices, since all the talk on forums is saying "you should wait, new tech next year, lower prices, bigger gigs, moar Hertz, wait wait" ;) And the christmas market is a nice time to cash in and sell some existing inventory. Especially if inventory is large WRT current customer sentiment. If christmas sales are weak, investors will get nervous, so in quartal capitalism, management will try and drive sales before christmas.

Nah, not down our side..... the only company known to do that here at it's retailer level is Nokia.... they're the only one who payback if there is a price drop while you have big stock on you......
But the others...... don't 'cos it's all imported by different vendors and none of them seem to be the company's own distributor or importers.....
This side it's a little different, prices are managed by the big stockists... they cut the supply :( and prices automatically start to rise.....
So it's like a pretty dirty game around here.....
That's why I keep telling people what costs a zillion in the US is dirt cheap here and what's really expensive out here is dirt cheap in the US.... funny... European markets seem to have a very temperamental influence on our side.... it's sometimes really crazy and sometimes nearly the same...
Another factor that influences the prices down here are the elections... so LOL.... would always want them to be more frequent......