Sign in with
Your question

USB 2.0 Problem

Last response: in Systems
November 14, 2010 11:45:22 AM

First let me give a rundown on my hardware.

-Biosatar TA785GE 128M--OB ATI HD4200
-AMD Athlon II X3 445, 3.1 GHz 95W
-8 GB, Mushkin Blackline DDR2 PC2 6400
-Maxtor / DiamondMax 10 / 160GB / 7200 / 8MB / SATA-300
-Thermaltake 430 Watt PSU
-Windows 7 x64

Alright, here's the deal.

The mobo, CPU, and 4 gigs of RAM are new. The HDD is from the last build as are 4 gigs of the RAM.

I spent the better part of 2 days trying to install Windows 7 64 bit!! When trying to do a clean install of the OS it would get to the "Starting Windows" splash screen and just sit there! It would not start the installation. I had to disable the USB 2.0 support in the BIOS to get Windows 7 x64 to finally install but I got past that hurdle. I found that fix in some threads on this site.

Now that I have gotten the OS installed I still have an aggravating problem!

First let me say that even though disabling the USB support in the BIOS let me install the OS, it has not cured the problem with the USB controller/interface now that I have an OS. I cannot do a shutdown or restart and boot to Windows while any USB devices are connected to the computer. However, with all of the USB devices disconnected from the computer it will go ahead an load Windows!? Once I get booted to Windows, I can connect all of my USB peripherals and Windows will recognize them and install them and they all work fine.

Then when you least expect it: BOOM!, it just shuts down, no blue screen, no message, nothing!? Then I have to go thru the process of disconnecting the USB peripherals and rebooting about 3 times, resetting the BIOS to disable the USB 2.0 support to get the system to load Windows again.

I downloaded the chipset driver and latest BIOS packages from Biostar. Flashed the BIOS and installed the chipset driver package hoping that would cure the problem, but it didn't. I would have downloaded the USB 2.0 controller driver but Biostar does not show one to support Windows 7 for this board. Can you believe that!? I sent an email to the Biostar support desk and asked them what driver they use for the USB controller for this board but have not heard back from them yet.

I left my USB interface for my mouse and the PS/2 keyboard plugged into the computer last night and got up this morning and the computer was still on. However, while doing a restart after an update, you have to remove the USB interface for the mouse for it to boot properly. If you touch the USB port with the USB interface device while it is booting, it will shut down immediately. But if you wait until you get to the Windows "Welcome" screen and then plug it in, everything is fine. Go figure....

So, I am still using my wireless mouse but until I can get a fix for the problem I am stuck using a PS/2 keyboard and do not plug in my USB hub, which so far has helped relieve some of the aggravation even though if I want to use a USB device, I have to physically stop what I am doing and plug it in, use it and unplug it again. What a pain.

Do not know what the problem is but it is really aggravating.

If anyone has any ideas as to this USB thing? Would appreciate your input.

Thanks

nopans

More about : usb problem

a b B Homebuilt system
November 14, 2010 12:58:54 PM

Probably your PSU can't cope with your system even if it should, the USB devices need more juice.
m
l
November 14, 2010 3:12:36 PM

Funny you should say that! I was thinking the same exact thing this morning but dismissed it as nothing has changed except the CPU voltage and the two new sticks of RAM. But that could be enough and you could certainly be right.

I guess the only way to find out is to stick another PSU in it and see what happens. I know that after a year or two of hard use a PSU loses the ability to produce the initial designed wattage due to electrolytic capacitor aging. So if it has lost say 10% of it's original wattage power than that would surely be enough to cause these problems.

Thanks for your input..
m
l
November 19, 2010 1:44:51 PM

Well, the new PSU did not do the trick! I stuck a new 550 Watt in and it still was doing the same things.

So I figured there has to be a single USB device that is causing all the havoc.

Sure enough, after trying to get the computer to boot to Windows with all USB devices connected to my USB hub and having no luck getting it to boot past the Windows splash screen, I started removing them one at a time until I got it to boot to Windows. The culprit is/was my wireless mouse USB interface!? It did not make any difference which port on the hub it was plugged into, it still wouldn't boot past the Windows splash screen!?

However, I can insert it in any USB port on the computer itself and it boots fine!? But put it in the hub and it will not boot past the Windows splash screen.

I guess the hub just doesn't like it. I literally haven't a clue as to what would cause that kind of problem.

So, I guess I'll just leave it plugged into the rear I/O panel and forget about it now that everything is working as it should.

m
l
!