Clone an SSD to a HDD and back again?

JMike104

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 onto a 256GB OCZ Vertex-series SSD in my Lenovo T410 laptop. After spending hours updating the windows installation, installing some other software, and getting almost everything to where I want it, I discovered that the SSD firmware is version 1.4, not the latest version, which is 1.7. The Windows experience index is stuck at 5.9 for the primary hard disk, so I think I really need the firmware update to realize the full potential of the SSD.

I realize that updating the firmware may destroy my windows installation, so I’m planning to do the following to avoid a fresh install of windows 7. (1) Clone the SSD onto a HDD (connected via USB). I have successfully done this already, using Acronis True Image 2012, which is currently installed on the SSD (and now also on the cloned HDD). (2) Update the firmware on the SSD appropriately. (3) If, after updating the firmware to version 1.7, the SSD will no longer boot, I plan to switch the drives (SSD to USB and HDD to the laptop) and proceed to clone the HDD (now in the laptop) to the SSD (now connected via USB). (4) Lastly, I will place the SSD back into the laptop, and I should be good to go. My question is: will this work?

Solution

BwwwJ1st

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012

Your process seems like a lot of extra work. why not image your SSD (not clone) using Acronis to the HDD then restore the image to the SSD after the firmware update. When creating an image be sure to include all partions on the disk.

Solution

JMike104

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013

I agree that it would be easier to do it your way. However, now I have a fully-bootable HDD to replace the SSD if it should go South in the near future. By the way, good news – firmware update of my SSD to version 1.7 went smoothly and the SSD still boots! And the primary hard drive Windows Experience Index is now 7.3! Hurray!

Do NOT need additional software to image your SSD.

Just go to windows control panel, select Backup and on left side select image system drive.

The image will be placed on the HDD (I also copy to an externa HDD).

Need to re-instal, takes all of 15 Min. NO re-install windows, no waiting for all updates, no re-install drivers, no re-install Programs. system will be axactly as it was when the image was made.
PS Once image is completed you will be prompted to make a bootable DVD - I normally skip as you can use the Win 7 Installation disk to restore using the image file.