Removing remote shared folders

Tags:
  • LAN
  • Computers
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
May 21, 2010 6:39:53 PM

Hello,
I have a Win 2000 pc that has some folders that need removal from my network places. They point to a computer that is no longer available. When trying to delete direclty from my network places or nethood the system locks up. Is there a way to use the registry to remove?

More about : removing remote shared folders

May 30, 2010 2:01:26 AM

Not in registry, in Group policy...

Click the Start button, Click "Run" and enter GPEDIT.MSC and of course click "Ok"
When it starts, maximize for easy reading
Click the plus sign at the lower "User Configuration" section,
Click the plus sign at "Administrative Templates"
Click on "Desktop"
Look down the list that appears in right window pane and Right-Click on "Do not add shares of recently opened documents to My Network Places,"
and select "Properties"
Click "Enable" and then click "Ok."
Close Gpedit.

Shares are now gone or upon next re-boot. (If the folder was shared, it is still shared, it just won't appear in Network Places anymore)

m
l
May 30, 2010 6:23:36 AM

tigsounds said:
Not in registry, in Group policy...

Click the Start button, Click "Run" and enter GPEDIT.MSC and of course click "Ok"
When it starts, maximize for easy reading
Click the plus sign at the lower "User Configuration" section,
Click the plus sign at "Administrative Templates"
Click on "Desktop"
Look down the list that appears in right window pane and Right-Click on "Do not add shares of recently opened documents to My Network Places,"
and select "Properties"
Click "Enable" and then click "Ok."
Close Gpedit.

Shares are now gone or upon next re-boot. (If the folder was shared, it is still shared, it just won't appear in Network Places anymore)

[#0005ff]Thanks for that very handy tip which is going to save me deleting a lot of folders every so often but I'm not sure it's going to address pc xz's problem of locking up when he tries to delete his folders. Maybe going in as Administrator in Safe Mode would give him or her the necessary protocol's to get rid of the stuff.[/#000ff]
m
l
May 30, 2010 8:07:14 AM

Saga Lout said:
[#0005ff]Thanks for that very handy tip which is going to save me deleting a lot of folders every so often but I'm not sure it's going to address pc xz's problem of locking up when he tries to delete his folders. Maybe going in as Administrator in Safe Mode would give him or her the necessary protocol's to get rid of the stuff.[/#000ff]

I don't think pc xz's problem will be back. This fix also keeps network shares from permanently appearing in Windows Explorer. They won't appear to need deleting (and his subsequent lock ups). He may need to be logged in as Administrator to make the fix in the first place though, but Safe Mode is unnecessary.

Perhaps pc xz's will tell us how it all worked out?
m
l