Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ivy Bridge too early?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2011 8:16:24 PM

That doesn't mean that they're releasing them at Computex. Just showing them off.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2011 9:13:45 PM

Chad Boga said:
Maybe Intel feel they need to get a CPU out with a better GPU in it???


That's what I was thinking - a 24 or even 48 EU mobile Ivy Bridge would probably be quite a seller for low to mid-range laptops..
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2011 10:56:27 PM

That's not too early for a debut. If it's supposed to be available for Mass Production at reasonable costs Q4 2011, they should have it ready for demo at the start of Q3 (June).
a c 127 à CPUs
February 9, 2011 12:42:13 AM

Not for a debut no. Its just them showing it off.

It still wont be out until Q1 2012 but it will make peoples mouths water considering that the LGA 1155 will work with Ivy Bridge.
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2011 1:34:29 AM

I'm surprised I got this before Tom's ever did.
a c 127 à CPUs
February 9, 2011 3:00:38 AM

Toms has always been a little slow on the news recently. Not sure why.
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2011 6:33:48 AM

jimmysmitty said:
Not for a debut no. Its just them showing it off.

It still wont be out until Q1 2012 but it will make peoples mouths water considering that the LGA 1155 will work with Ivy Bridge.


I'm not quite sure how LGA1155 will work with Ivy Bridge, since Ivy Bridge is LGA2011 socket.

Or did I just simply understand you wrong? :S
February 9, 2011 6:46:33 AM

Toxxyc said:
I'm not quite sure how LGA1155 will work with Ivy Bridge, since Ivy Bridge is LGA2011 socket.

Or did I just simply understand you wrong? :S

Pretty sure there will be LGA1155 versions of Ivy Bridge.
a c 133 à CPUs
February 9, 2011 6:55:24 AM

It will be starting on 1155.
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2011 7:29:54 AM

Oh OK. Didn't know that one. Never too old to learn right? :D 
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2011 12:19:55 PM

Ivy Bridge is just the "tock" of Sandy Bridge - a die shrink with a few tweaks - so it's pretty much the same architecture, so it'll come out in socket 1155 packages.

The question is though, if socket 2011 isn't due until Q3 this year, and Ivy Bridge is due Q1 2012, will we actually see Sandy Bridge on socket 2011, or just jump straight to Ivy Bridge?
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2011 12:46:37 PM

Intel is running out of ''Tock" here. Pretty soon, by 2015 we will have CPU's that have Quantum Tunneling.

"Introducing the Intel Pentium Dodecacore Processor with Quantum Tunneling Technology"

Da, da da da Dum!
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2011 12:48:53 PM

LePhuronn said:
Ivy Bridge is just the "tock" of Sandy Bridge - a die shrink with a few tweaks - so it's pretty much the same architecture, so it'll come out in socket 1155 packages.

The question is though, if socket 2011 isn't due until Q3 this year, and Ivy Bridge is due Q1 2012, will we actually see Sandy Bridge on socket 2011, or just jump straight to Ivy Bridge?


IIRC Intel's roadmap shows performance Sandy Bridge due out in Q2 - Q3 of this year. My guess is that they won't intro performance Ivy Bridge until a year later, like they are doing with the mainstream SBs.

According to the THG article here, IB promises 20 - 30% performance improvement over the equivalent SB (I guess that means the same priced part or maybe same power envelope). IPC shouldn' be that much higher since it is just a die shrink with tweaks, so the rest should be higher stock clocks.
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2011 12:53:41 PM

Proof: Die shrinking improves performance.

NOTE: Guys with small 'processors', consider yourselves lucky! :D 
February 10, 2011 2:30:05 AM

I like the idea of these new ivy bridge processors...I have very little space were I live,so I like to have smaller size cases like the Numan with model #2019B with a 400W ATX power supply unit,whether this rating is right I do not know because it looks very small to me...I use these small cases just to go online to email & surf the internet,but not gaming so I figure out that I may just have enough power to supply my future el cheapo P55 with a core i5 680 @ 3.6GHz...Hopefully these smaller size die processors will be cool enough for my above mentioned size cases to use in the future or I may have to stock up a little on these processors...For cooling I use a Zalman CNPS8000A cpu fan cooler...So the sooner the better that these future ivy bridge processors come out for my smaller size cases...
a c 127 à CPUs
February 10, 2011 2:56:42 AM

Toxxyc said:
Oh OK. Didn't know that one. Never too old to learn right? :D 


I am not sure why so many people kept thinking Ivy Bridge was the LGA 2011 SB based CPU. Ivy Bridge is the 22nm dies shrink. Its like how Torksfield was the 45nm die shrink of Kentsfield of Westmere (Gulftown) was the 32nm die shrink of Nehalem.
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2011 7:48:30 AM

jimmysmitty said:
I am not sure why so many people kept thinking Ivy Bridge was the LGA 2011 SB based CPU. Ivy Bridge is the 22nm dies shrink. Its like how Torksfield was the 45nm die shrink of Kentsfield of Westmere (Gulftown) was the 32nm die shrink of Nehalem.


I think it's because "Sandy Bridge" was locked to LGA1155 upon release. Everybody "went SB" and knew about LGA1155. LGA2011 is the upgrade, and so is Ivy Bridge (finer architecture). Thus, Sandy Bridge = LGA1155 and Ivy Bridge = LGA2011. I think people locked the codename "Ivy Bridge" to a socket (LGA2011), like Core 2 is locked to LGA775, instead of thinking about "Ivy Bridge" as only a codename for the CPU architecture.
!