Why would anybody buy an Nvidia gpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdad92

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
hi all,

wow, i have done tons of research in building my pc. and i am not asking for help, im pretty much done i am just really perplexed about video cards...i settled on a 5850. not because i thought it may be best bang for my butt, but because all u ever hear about Nvidia is "they run hot" "they draw tons of power" for a new pc builder like myself having no frame of reference why would i ever buy a card from Nvidia? My build was focused around an I5 processor. i fell in love with the aestehetics of the evga p55 sli mobo. it got pretty good reviews not as good as some from gigabyte or asus but i, hionestly liked the all black theme...lol...i did a lot of research and from a price point perspective, the gtx 460 fit all of my needs beautifully. for what i do a 5850 is serious overkill. the gtx 460 is to a point a lot more than i need. I considerd a 5770, which is at a serious discount atm, but i run aa dual monitor setup and i have read posts of the 5770 being a "good" card albeit sort of weak. i will be ordering my parts next week i just wanted to get some feedback on all of the negatives on the gtx 4xx series cards. as a novice pc builder, how would anyone in their right mind buy a card that is hot and more expensive to use? Is Nvidia dead?
are the posts exaggerated? are they so good that hot temps and more power are worth it?
honestly, i am seriously curious about these cards.
thx

Solution
Hello there,

It seems that you have sadly fallen victim to the comments of many Nvidia haters. Fermi, Nvidia's latest architecture was, originally very hot and (for what Nv was plugging about it) underperforming. Still, the 480 has the performance crown over the 5870 and is therefore the fastest single GPU card in the world to date. Many people refused to get this because of the rediculous power requirements and the need for excellent airflow through the case. But if you're an enthusiast in the market for a card of that spec, you're going to have good airflow anyway, so that point was really irrelevant in some cases.

The 460 (a derivative of the original Fermi core) was so much better. Cooler, quieter fan, modest power requirements...

cirslevin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
GPU wars has been long and complicated, GTx 4xx line is only a short episode.

users also have difference thing to look for, power and heat may or may not be important to them.

nVidia won't die because of loss of one battle. There will be more to come, and we will be benefiting from it.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hello there,

It seems that you have sadly fallen victim to the comments of many Nvidia haters. Fermi, Nvidia's latest architecture was, originally very hot and (for what Nv was plugging about it) underperforming. Still, the 480 has the performance crown over the 5870 and is therefore the fastest single GPU card in the world to date. Many people refused to get this because of the rediculous power requirements and the need for excellent airflow through the case. But if you're an enthusiast in the market for a card of that spec, you're going to have good airflow anyway, so that point was really irrelevant in some cases.

The 460 (a derivative of the original Fermi core) was so much better. Cooler, quieter fan, modest power requirements, big overclockability and great price/performance.

Nvidia is far from dead, its just on the back foot at the minute, and you certainly won't be disappointed with your ATI choice, they are really strong at the minute (my main build has a 5970, utterly epic). My mini (portable) build has a 460 and for what i want it to do, again brilliant performance.

Overall, Fermi on the whole was a disappointment, no doubt, but not totally unusable as you seem to be implying. Many people i know have a 480 and the higher temps aren't an issue because theyre in an enthusiast level case that can accomodate this anyway.

Hope this helps.

Solution

cirslevin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
They dominate graphics world.More than 60 percent of pc user have nvidia gpu in there pc.

Data is easily manipulated, we don't really need this.

Your data is probably from steam, which also shows massive market share of DX 11 card of AMD, which means the Fermi series is not doing well.

AMD also said they now own 51% of discrete GPU market shippment.

There is really no reason to deny the Fermi is late and not doing good. Lets just hope nVidia refreshes the line sooner than late 2011 as their plan seems to suggest.

calidus

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
The 460 is a solid card one of the best bang for you buck cards on the market. I know a few people who are every happy with them. The biggest perk to the 460 and Nvidia cards in general has to be their SLI scaling.

The 5850 is also a great card. ATI has done some amazing things with power consumption in this series of cards in general.

Nvidia is not dead, this series of cards is has been a major accomplishment for ATI though. Which is a good thing for the market because it has upped the competition and will push the next series of cards to be even better.

Depending on how soon you want to finish this machine you might want to wait to see if ATI announces a release date for their 6xxx series.

cirslevin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Steam has the largest gaming community when they say nvidia gpu are popular then whats wrong in that.Any person who have a gaming rig uses gpuz
www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
Even data collected by gpuz shows nvidia dominence.
As i said earlier fermi being hot is a myth than a truth.If it really had any heat rilated issues then TOMSHARDWARE WOULD HAVE BEEN FLOODED WITH THREADS WITH PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT BURNED FERMI.
largest gaming community, maybe relatively. 10 million active users sure are good, but it can't represent the whole GPU market, can it?

the cold fact is the shipment, not a statistic counting from A gaming community.

AMD is taking the lead in both discrete and IGP market over nVidia, I don't really see whats the harm of admitting the simple facts? Its not like I am saying nVidia will be dead or something.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished

Agreed.And after reading this a moderator should be coming and closing this thread.

cirslevin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

I guess there is a difference between the overall userbase, and the shipment happening every quarter.

So i guess the fact is nVidia has overall 60% of market share, with all its products that are currently in use. While AMD is currently shipping more products than nVidia. Problem solved!. :D

cirslevin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Ati shipping more dx11 card can be true though no hard proof.That can change anytime if Amd 6000 series is flop then it willnot take time for thing to same.
lol, no hard proof? AMD 6000 flop? Are you serious? I wonder how many people agree with you on these...

I like Nvidia cards even tho I went with ATI. At the time, the 5850 was the best choice for me. Right now tho, with the Fermi price drops, I am a little bit wishing I had a pair of GTX 470s but then I can't complain since mine are performing like champs.

I think NV tends to have better drivers tho, and generally SLI can be a tad better than CrossFire (it's not a lot but it's still better). However, it must also be taken into consideration that NV has already release an entire lineup of DX11 cards 55xx, 56xx, 57xx, 58xx, and 5970 and already are on the way to releasing 2nd generation DX11 cards, the 6xxx series. Meanwhile, NV has only recently release their mainstream DX11 cards, the GTX 460 and only very recently the GTS 450. So, it's what, 13 ATI DX11 cards vs 4 NV DX11 cards? I think that the 6xxx series is going to put NV back on the defensive again very quickly if rumors are to be believed.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
AMD selling more dx11 cards is pretty easy to understand seeing as they released dx11 cards a few months before Nvidia.
If you ask people what gpu they own, it seems the 8800/9800 are still quite popular among pc users.

notty22

Distinguished
Here is a editor from benchmarkreviews, why people choose Nvidia or have chosen.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=600&Itemid=38 According to the August 2010 Steam hardware survey, PC gamers are using NVIDIA GeForce desktop video cards nearly 80% more than AMD/ATI counterparts. Great products have come from both GeForce and Radeon brands, yet based on this survey NVIDIA owns almost 60% of the entire graphics market compared to AMD's 33%. Gamers might rely on NVIDIA's hardware for its superior graphical processing power and affordable price point, but it's their gaming technologies that have helped deliver complete market dominance (among Steam users). NVIDIA's "The Way It's Meant to be Played" is a trademarked slogan denoting a direct involvement in software development as much as they focus on hardware. When the Ageia PhysX software physics technology was purchased back in early 2008, that commitment sharpened NVIDIA's growing double-edge sword. Adding 3D Vision only helped consummate their efforts.
Its the same survey that shows ATI having the majority of dx11 cards, numbers can be spun many ways. There was a time when ATI had the only 10.1 cards as well. We see how important that became.

cirslevin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

Steam data is a mixture of alot of things, I guess everybody can be happy by reading what they want to see.

Not every gamers suddenly went into market and purchased a new GPU last year. Its more of a accumulative effects of the nVidia's products in last 5 years, rather than a up-to-date assess of the GPU market in the past 12 months.

Its pure and simple, nVidia has bigger userbase over the years, while AMD is shipping more new products in the past year. everybody can just calm down. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.