GamerXtreme2013

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Hey guys, im about to buy a SSD 120gb for my new pc im building and i was wondering if its ok to install my OS on the SSD soon as i assemble the parts together or install it first in a HD then transfer the file to SSD?

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
Do a clean install straight to the SSD.

Some people suggest to unplug HDD's from the system and then install the OS to the SSD, reconnection the HDD's after installation is complete.
I see no reason to do this, just make sure the SSD is set to the first boot drive in the bios, or have it plugged into the first sata port on the motherboard.

You would install the o/s on the SSD first and only.
Prior to the actual installation of the I/s, make sure that you turn on AHCI in the BIOS/EHCI in order to ensure that the o/s uses TRIM support (turning on AHCI in the bios enables TRIM support).

GamerXtreme2013

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

Thanks guys.. On that note which 120gb SSD should i go buy in terms of cheaper price without sacrificing reliaibility and performance? it should be speedier anyway than using HD for OS right?

JJ1217

Honorable
First onto SSD is very important. another important thing is to set the SSD mode to AHCI. I recently reinstalled Windows on an SSD and it took less than 15 minutes (Of course not counting reinstalling all the drivers.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
There are quite a few good SSD's that are some what cheap but remain highly reliable, Intel 520 Series, Samsung 830 or 840 non pro, Crucial M4 just to name a few.

I'll leave you to decide which brand you want to choose, they are all fairly equal in terms of real world performance with maybe the 830 taking the lead.