Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need some education on PhysX

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 22, 2010 4:01:25 PM

Hey guys. So I've heard about PhysX multiple times and I just wanted to get some more education on it

So from what I think I know, PhysX allows you to have 2 different video cards so it's like SLI/Crossfire but they can be different cards?

I was wondering how this would help, what are the benefits, cons? Compatibility issues?

Is PhysX "dead"? I've heard it basically is but some say it isn't.

Anything else I should know about? Feel free to give me as much info as you'd like, never hurts to learn

More about : education physx

a c 271 U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 4:17:58 PM

It's not like SLi or CF and although some may feel that it's dead Nvidia feel that it's very much alive, but is it worth it? That's something only you can decide.
September 22, 2010 4:22:38 PM

Quote:
Physx is a physics engine used in game.There are other physx like engine also like havox,bullet physics.But main difference between them and physx is physx is gpu accelerated nvidia exclusive while other two are cpu bound and open source.Physx is not dead top games which are nvidia sponsered supports physx eg. Metro 2033,Mafia 2,Batman AA,mirror edge ect.

Mousemonkey said:
It's not like SLi or CF and although some may feel that it's dead Nvidia feel that it's very much alive, but is it worth it? That's something only you can decide.

Ok so it's for GAMING? It is an engine but it is only supported by nVidia card? So ATI Radeons cant run this?

Related resources
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 4:28:26 PM

reaper2794 said:
Ok so it's for GAMING?

Yes.
reaper2794 said:
It is an engine but it is only supported by nVidia card? So ATI Radeons cant run this?

Technically they can but there is some evidence to suggest that ATi have done everything they can to prevent that and so in retaliation Nvidia blocked the use of PhysX if an ATi card is present in the same system leaving ATi users out in the cold as it were.
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 4:36:04 PM

Is PhysX "dead"? I've heard it basically is but some say it isn't. said:
Is PhysX "dead"? I've heard it basically is but some say it isn't.

1. those who're saying it are just misinformed individuals who can not understand what a physics middleware is.

2. GPU-accelerated Physx is a nice "Extra" for games that support it. but the ati fanboys would rant "its not important, not necessary", which concludes the fact that most of them can not understand what "Extra" and "option" means.

3. most physx haters, has this delusion that a physics middleware (or other variants) should be / must be a template of the real physical world to be effective. expect the words " i want non-scripted blah blah", when in reality, a videogame or any piece software is a bunch of script compiled. the AI department also has this huge expectation, those that want a "sentient AI" which is fallacy in itself. that is also equivalent to a fully omnipotent "deity" from D&D.

a c 125 U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 4:44:15 PM

Well, I like PhysX. I only spent $65 on a GT 240 so for me it was worth it to get the awesome looking effects.

It definitely adds some sweet eye candy and a few advanced physics effects (better cloth movement and tearing, for example).

However, the list of games that support hardware accelerated PhysX is pretty short, but some of them are very good titles. You can easily YouTube PhysX comparison videos (which I recommend doing!) for Metro 2033, Cryostasis, Mirror's Edge, Dark Void, Batman Arkham Asylum, Mafia 2 and several others.

It only runs on Nvidia cards (8600GT and higher) but you can run a "hack" to modify the NV drivers so that you can run an Nvidia PhysX card alongside ATI cards as the main rendering units. This is what I've done, without any issues at all. You can find some good info by googling GenL patch (V1.04ff being the newest version).
September 22, 2010 4:51:58 PM

Best answer selected by Reaper2794.
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 22, 2010 4:58:50 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!