Intel t5550 vs su4100

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the following..........

CURRENT SYSTEM:

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T5550 - (2M Cache, 1.83 GHz, 667 MHz FSB)

2GB RAM

ATI Radeon 2400 HD - 128MB

WINDOWS VISTA

PROPOSED NEW SYSTEM:

Intel® Pentium® Processor SU4100 - (2M Cache, 1.30 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)

4GB RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 - 512MB

WINDOWS 7

I use my current system for office tasks, web browsing (multiple windows) , youtube streaming, some photo editing (CS3) and also run some math programs (Maple 14). Usually I''l have multiple office windows open along with the Maple software and it all runs along quite quickly. No lag at all.

Could anyone tell me what kind of experience I could expect to get on the proposed new system? It's a step down in terms of the CPU but on the other hand, double the RAM and a better GPU.

The new system is small and thin with a long battery life (which is what I now need). Should I plump for it or consider something with a better CPU?
4 answers Last reply
More about intel t5550 su4100
  1. If you have cash you want to blow, then the second system gives you better battery life and nothing more. Neither will be fast. Neither will play games. How much money do you want to spend? And what is wrong with your current system so that you want an upgrade? Maybe I could recommend something that does more than an extra battery would.
  2. dalauder said:
    If you have cash you want to blow, then the second system gives you better battery life and nothing more. Neither will be fast. Neither will play games. How much money do you want to spend? And what is wrong with your current system so that you want an upgrade? Maybe I could recommend something that does more than an extra battery would.

Hey thanks for your post. Sorry for the late reply but it was time to turn in in my timezone. The first system is what I currently have. I haven't gamed on a PC for close to a decade, so gaming performance is not an issue.

I was just wondering how the SU4100 system (more RAM, Better GPU) would stack up to the T5550 (less RAM, older GPU) system for the tasks that I listed in the opening post.

The increased battery life and portability of the SU4100 system are important and budget is limited unfortunately.
  3. SU4100 is Penryn based and will be slower than a Pentium U5400.

Here's a review that shows some relative performance. P8600 isn't the best comparison. It's definitely faster than a T5550 but it shows what a proper Core 2 Duo or Core i3 can do. i3-330UM is slightly faster than a Pentium U5400 and Core 2 Duo SU7300 is slightly faster than a Pentium Dual Core SU4100.
    Anandtech
  4. UniqueName said:
    SU4100 is Penryn based and will be slower than a Pentium U5400.

Here's a review that shows some relative performance. P8600 isn't the best comparison. It's definitely faster than a T5550 but it shows what a proper Core 2 Duo or Core i3 can do. i3-330UM is slightly faster than a Pentium U5400 and Core 2 Duo SU7300 is slightly faster than a Pentium Dual Core SU4100.
    Anandtech

Thanks for that.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs