Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cases and supplies, what do I need to look for when building?

Last response: in Components
February 9, 2011 12:24:29 AM

Hello

I have started buying parts for my SB game machine.

Now I have the psu and gpu. I want to buy a case. I dont want to spend lots of money on it. I do not need anything fancy. A case that will keep the parts cool and not look ugly. Ha ha ;) 

I want to spend as little as possible on the case to put the money towards better componets. I am looking to spend between 30 to 70 dollars at the most.

If it has some eye candy, it is ok.

I am also looking the parts I will need to keep everything cool.
Please give me some ideas on what I should look for and prices.
What are some good cases?

Best solution

a c 275 ) Power supply
February 9, 2011 1:07:04 AM
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2011 2:56:43 AM

I would say either the Cooler Master 690 or the Antec 300.Their is also the Rosewill Destroyer which is more on the cheaper side.

Cooler Master
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec

Rosewill

All are good case's.Up to you which one if your preference.The Cooler Master is the widest which can come in handy when/if installing a Aftermarket Heatsink.Usally the behemoths can be as wide as 6 inches so it's nice to have some extra room.
Score
Related resources
February 9, 2011 7:55:32 AM

g335 said:
Hello

Now I have the psu and gpu. I want to buy a case. I dont want to spend lots of money on it. I do not need anything fancy. A case that will keep the parts cool and not look ugly. Ha ha ;) 

I want to spend as little as possible on the case to put the money towards better componets. I am looking to spend between 30 to 70 dollars at the most.

Hi :hello:  ...Sorry I can not be of much help,because I am not in your part of the world where ever it is...I thought of a standard idea to have for a case and that is the fan that sits underneath the motherboard directly below the processor socket area (80mmx80mmx15mm,the stronger the fans CFM is the more cooler your cpu will be :ange:  )...It keeps your processor that bit more cooler :ange:  for that little bit of extra frame rates per second count :)  ...One such case on the cheap side that has,is the CoolerMaster Model:-RC-692-KKN2 ;)  ...This model comes without a psu,80mmx15mm fan,but has a 140mm blue led fan at the lower front ;)  ...In Australia where I live every thing costs more :sweat:  ,but maybe it is cheaper in your area of the world :)  :??:  ...Bye for Now :wahoo:  ...
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2011 11:01:20 AM

Antec Three-Hundred is a solid mid-tower case at $50 at Microcenter or on newegg. Really no eye candy whatsoever. It has decent ventilation and comes with a couple of fans.

Also, make sure the video card you have will fit in the case you choose in this price range. Which video card did you buy?

You'll also have to consider the side-to-side dimensions of the case if you're considering an after-market CPU cooling solution. If you won't be overclocking and you'll be using the stock cooler, this is a non-issue.
Score
February 9, 2011 2:48:09 PM

ubercake said:
Antec Three-Hundred is a solid mid-tower case at $50 at Microcenter or on newegg. Really no eye candy whatsoever. It has decent ventilation and comes with a couple of fans.

Also, make sure the video card you have will fit in the case you choose in this price range. Which video card did you buy?

You'll also have to consider the side-to-side dimensions of the case if you're considering an after-market CPU cooling solution. If you won't be overclocking and you'll be using the stock cooler, this is a non-issue.

MSI Cyclone gtx 460 oc
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2011 3:42:29 PM

g335 said:
MSI Cyclone gtx 460 oc

That card is 201-ish mm and should fit no problem in just about any of the mid-tower suggestions from above.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2011 7:20:48 PM

Don't forget the HAF 912.
Score
February 9, 2011 7:24:09 PM

why do the US pc parts sites have to be so much better then the UK ones :p 
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2011 7:43:20 PM

Rip Off Britain. [:beanoslim:1]
Score
February 9, 2011 7:46:39 PM

so true....(sadly)
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 10, 2011 1:31:00 AM

bnot said:
why do the US pc parts sites have to be so much better then the UK ones :p 

I think it's a tax thing? You guys need to start throwing tea into the harbor!
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 10, 2011 1:56:34 AM

Which case are you going to get?
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 10, 2011 1:58:02 AM

Off Topic

Hey ubercake....You have 3 5850's in crossfire?Did you notice any performance boost from adding the 3rd 5850?
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 10, 2011 2:49:17 PM

purple stank said:
Off Topic

Hey ubercake....You have 3 5850's in crossfire?Did you notice any performance boost from adding the 3rd 5850?

I've noticed hugh framerate increases all the way around.

When I do play anything, I play MOH with full details, the highest AA, the highest AF, HBOA, no Vsync etc... at 1080p. Even when I ran with two cards, the framerate would get a little choppy and drop below 60 when there was a significant amount of smoke and you were running through it. Now, there is no choppiness or noticeable slowdown whatsoever. I'll try to make a point of looking at fraps and send you a minimum framerate when I get to it (I haven't been too scientific about it).
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 10, 2011 3:10:22 PM

So would you say it's worth it to buy a quad crossfire board?
Score
February 10, 2011 9:58:35 PM

g335 said:
Hello

I just built a quad core system with this case, Rosewill DESTROYER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The main reason I bought this case is because it came with three 120MM fans. It is nice looking and it only cost $50. It feels a little flimsy compared to my COOLER MASTER Centurion 5, but I don't plan to hammer nails with it. LOL!

The COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) would be my second choice. It is a rock solid case, but it only comes with 1 - 80mm fan and 1- 120mm fan, so you might need to add some additional fans for intense gaming. It is a very nice looking case, but the LED lights on the front of it are as bright as an LED flashlight. I mean you could read a book by them. I used mine in my bedroom and I had to cover them up with 2 layer of painters blue tape to bring them down to a level where I could sleep with my computer on. Even so, they are plenty bright with two layer of dark blue tape over them. But other then that it is a great case and will always be on my list of choices for future builds.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 10, 2011 10:33:19 PM

I would reccomend the HAF 912,for a budget.The HAF series case's are just superb.Even the cheapest model (HAF 912) has support for a 200mm fan and a bottom mounted PSU.I'd say the Rosewill Destroyer case is your best bargin but if you going to do some O.C.ing and want to get a aftermarket cooler i would suggest one of the case from the HAF series.

Score
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 6:13:39 PM

purple stank said:
So would you say it's worth it to buy a quad crossfire board?

For the science of it... by all means.
Score
February 13, 2011 12:04:41 AM

purple stank said:
I would reccomend the HAF 912,for a budget.The HAF series case's are just superb.Even the cheapest model (HAF 912) has support for a 200mm fan and a bottom mounted PSU.I'd say the Rosewill Destroyer case is your best bargin but if you going to do some O.C.ing and want to get a aftermarket cooler i would suggest one of the case from the HAF series.

What is more important, a front fan or top fan for a case?
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2011 10:46:08 AM

g335 said:
What is more important, a front fan or top fan for a case?

Good question. ATX specification calls for airflow in the front and out the back. Along the way someone determined heat rises, though they never thought a top exhaust fan necessarily needed to be added to the spec. Seems like this needs to be revisited.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2011 12:55:14 PM

Both.Top and Front.
Score
February 13, 2011 3:06:02 PM

purple stank said:
Both.Top and Front.

I found this Scythe case locally which is a really good bargin and it is on sale for 60 dollars. http://www.scythe.co.jp/products/pccase/stream-bk-pc-ca...

I found the Antec Two Hundred also. Comparing the two, the Sychte seems better, it has screw less hd bays and 5.25 and 3.5 bays. The front opens up so you can access the bays, but it does not have a good opening for ventilation in the front. Once you close the front of the case, the air vented out of side ducts on the edge of the front. It has a clear side where you can mount 2 fans, and a rear exhast and a place to mount a fan at the top of the case.
The psu goes onto the bottom.

This seemed much better than the Antec case which seem week and fragile. It has good front ventilation.

Based on the pictures what does everyone think?
Score
February 13, 2011 3:16:59 PM

I wouldn't skimp on the case at all. Like the PSU, it will likely be the longest surviving component in your build. Unlike your GPU which will be outdated quickly.
Go BIG. Space is always good. It gives you more options for components and neater cabling. Bigger cases mean bigger fans which=more cfm's at a much quieter level. I just switched from a Mid tower Raidmax to a Full tower HAF 932. The difference is amazing.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2011 3:18:50 PM

Can you get the HAF912+ where you are?
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2011 3:28:21 PM

Yes the HAF 912 is a very good case.
Don't forget you could always buy a case that has lots of mounts for fans but don't come with any fans.This is my personal favorite tpye of case because the fans that usually come with the case aren't that great of quality.Buying your own fans is always better IMO.That way you know what your getting.And we can help you on which ones to choose.High Airflow fans,LED fans,or quiet fans.
Score
February 13, 2011 3:34:56 PM

purple stank said:
Yes the HAF 912 is a very good case.
Don't forget you could always buy a case that has lots of mounts for fans but don't come with any fans.This is my personal favorite tpye of case because the fans that usually come with the case aren't that great of quality.Buying your own fans is always better IMO.That way you know what your getting.And we can help you on which ones to choose.High Airflow fans,LED fans,or quiet fans.

Cases from the states are 10 to 30 percent more here. Sometimes it is about the same after you add on shipping from the states.

I like seeing before I buy.

Did everyone check out the link? This case seems much more study and better than the Antec two hundred. They are at the same store.

I do not have 100 dollars to spend on a case. 60 is max, maybe I can push to 70 dollars. I do not need tons of hd and bay slots. Max hd I plan to use is 2 if necessary. One DVD rewritable drive and maybe if I get extra money, a Blueray player.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2011 4:56:44 PM

Have you tryed seeing what the prices are for the Rosewill Destoryer case?
It's a bargin here,might be the same there.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2011 5:12:42 PM

heres a solid case for good bucks:

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 for 60$ bones

RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB Black 69$

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel case 60$

NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel 60$

AeroCool Vx-9 Pro Black SECC 0.5mm ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 45$

these should be in ur budget sir :) 
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2011 5:19:08 PM

Problem is he lives in a different country.All the prices are a lot higher there making the selection compared not so good.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2011 5:29:35 PM

i know but i found the cheapest decent cases on newegg for him, maybe if g335 would give us a website in his country it would help us find him the right case at a price thats cool with him :D 
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2011 5:41:26 PM

Agreed.
Score
February 13, 2011 6:10:08 PM

iceclock said:
i know but i found the cheapest decent cases on newegg for him, maybe if g335 would give us a website in his country it would help us find him the right case at a price thats cool with him :D 

I am from America,living in Japan.

Many of the same big brand cases can be found here, just cost more.

THe Scythe and Antec case are on sale that is why I would like to ask opinion about it.

Most of the full towers here are like 90 dollars and up.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2011 6:13:48 PM

honestly, antec makes good case, and if u could provide me with a japanese website or something i could find current prices, thanks
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2011 6:52:37 PM

You said the Antec 200?

Either of the Antec 100,200,300 are good cases.Get either one they all have Front and Top fan mounts.Some of them come with fans.

Antec 100

Antec 200v2

Does it looks like that?
If you can find any of those cases they are good.
No case is "sturdy" because their all made with aluminm and sheet metal.To get an actual sturdy case you would have to make it out of metal or steel,sorry their all the same.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2011 7:00:00 PM

good choice, i still like the 300
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2011 8:53:01 PM

He can't afford the 300.Next best thing is the 200.Their practicly the same execpt the 200 doesn't have the 2nd 120mm front fan.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2011 8:55:37 PM

alright, i second purple stank recommandation, i talt u could find the 300 cheap these day, anyways i found some cheap, but maybe in japan its quite different, my bad,

Score
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2011 9:14:53 PM

Can you get the Zalman Z9 Plus over there?
Score
February 13, 2011 10:26:12 PM

purple stank said:
You said the Antec 200?

Either of the Antec 100,200,300 are good cases.Get either one they all have Front and Top fan mounts.Some of them come with fans.

Antec 100

Antec 200v2

Does it looks like that?
If you can find any of those cases they are good.
No case is "sturdy" because their all made with aluminm and sheet metal.To get an actual sturdy case you would have to make it out of metal or steel,sorry their all the same.

Yes that is the one I saw. This is better than the Scyth case?

beanoslim said:
Can you get the Zalman Z9 Plus over there?

I have to check.

Will these cases hold a GTX 460 or 560? Big enough for aftermarket cpu fan or cooler?

I will try over clocking gpu and cpu sometimes.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2011 10:35:39 PM

yes the antec 200 has plenty room, for a 460, id recommand the 560 ti since its better than the 460 and uses less power , supposely
Score
February 13, 2011 11:24:57 PM

iceclock said:
yes the antec 200 has plenty room, for a 460, id recommand the 560 ti since its better than the 460 and uses less power , supposely

560 I will get, checking size.

Can I Sli in any of the cases mentioned here?
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2011 11:33:18 PM

yes, sli is on the motherboard, so in theory it will fit, these cases are no slouches, and can be roomy ;) ,
Score
February 13, 2011 11:47:48 PM

iceclock said:
yes, sli is on the motherboard, so in theory it will fit, these cases are no slouches, and can be roomy ;) ,

I like the Scythe and the Antec 200, I will look for the 300 series and the other case mentioned.

The Scythe is nice, I like the screwless bays and the hole for putting on the black plate for the cpu cooler, the space for running cables behind the mb and all. I do not like how the front door closes and forces the front fan to vent thru the edges of the front door.

The Rosewell looks good too.

Ok here are my thoughts I am choosing between, the Scythe (please seriously check out the many views of the case in the link please), Antec 200 and the Rosewell.

I am going to look at all of the cases suggested here and than go and do comparisons at the stores.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2011 11:56:15 PM

the scythe looks alright, but honestly the antec 200 or 100 or 300 will fit ur needs fine ;) , the 200 is good , id go with the one u prefer the look of, honestly it comes down to opinion and liking of style ;P
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2011 12:23:53 AM

On the scythe case.The door is meant to open so you can custimize the bays or insert new ones from the front so it's easier.And the door has a screen filter for the fan so no dust gets in it.It's a nice case but i think the Antec is better.

Antec 300 would be best but the Antec 200 is also good.Like i said their practically the same.All of the Case's mentioned will support a full size GPU card and multi GPU setup.They all can support a ATX mobo which is what is needed to run multiple GPU setups.

Out of all of these,Antec 200,Rosewill Destroyer and the Scythe i would choose the Antec 200.The Antec has just enough space(width or depth) that it can support a big aftermarket cooler.

Have you checked the prices for the CoolerMaster HAF 912?

Score
February 14, 2011 12:35:30 AM

purple stank said:
On the scythe case.The door is meant to open so you can custimize the bays or insert new ones from the front so it's easier.And the door has a screen filter for the fan so no dust gets in it.It's a nice case but i think the Antec is better.

Antec 300 would be best but the Antec 200 is also good.Like i said their practically the same.All of the Case's mentioned will support a full size GPU card and multi GPU setup.They all can support a ATX mobo which is what is needed to run multiple GPU setups.

Out of all of these,Antec 200,Rosewill Destroyer and the Scythe i would choose the Antec 200.The Antec has just enough space(width or depth) that it can support a big aftermarket cooler.

Have you checked the prices for the CoolerMaster HAF 912?

Going to look for it today and check prices. What do you not like about the Rosewell and Scythe?
Score
!