Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Best Case for Under $100

Last response: in Components
Share
February 9, 2011 12:30:33 AM

I am going to be building a new system once the fixed i5 2500ks come out and was looking for a recommendation for a case. I had originally decided on http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&cm_re=antec_nine_hundred-_-11-129-021-_-Product but would like to hear other opinions. I don't really care if it has windows or leds or any of that, but I wouldn't exclude one because it did. I am looking for something with good airflow that has nice space inside, because I have large hands. I would prefer a mid-tower. Thanks.

More about : case 100

a c 274 ) Power supply
February 9, 2011 12:45:19 AM

Here's a couple that fall into the same category.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...
Btw i have a 902v1 and a CM690II Basic and they are both excellent.
You might be able to find a 902 cheap since the newer v3 has been released.
The 902 and CM690II also have filtered intakes.
902 has slighty better build quality like thicker steel and less plastic which makes it quieter.
Score
0
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 3:22:25 AM

Are you crazy???

Those cases are ugly crap, the Tempest EVO has better air flow and looks better.

The Tempest EVO is definitely a better choice, it's $90 and looks much better than those crappy Cooler Masters,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Pics:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...

It's a mid tower case, IT INCLUDES 6 FANS!!!- EXCELLENT AIR FLOW!
It has a window with a side fan to cool your graphics card, 2 intake fans at the front, two exhaust fans at the top, and a rear exhaust.

It is big and has cable management holes as well as an opening to remove the CPU bracket,

It fits the longest graphics card out now, the HD 5970, it also fits the largest CPU cooler, the Noctua NH-D14.

It looks cool, it has amazing airflow and includes so many fans.

it's rating is 5/5 by every one, it is epic!

I would get this case over any case in the world!
Score
0
Related resources
a c 274 ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 4:11:37 AM

Quote:
Are you crazy???

Those cases are ugly crap, the Tempest EVO has better air flow and looks better.

The Tempest EVO is definitely a better choice, it's $90 and looks much better than those crappy Cooler Masters,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Pics:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...

It's a mid tower case, IT INCLUDES 6 FANS!!!- EXCELLENT AIR FLOW!
It has a window with a side fan to cool your graphics card, 2 intake fans at the front, two exhaust fans at the top, and a rear exhaust.

It is big and has cable management holes as well as an opening to remove the CPU bracket,

It fits the longest graphics card out now, the HD 5970, it also fits the largest CPU cooler, the Noctua NH-D14.

It looks cool, it has amazing airflow and includes so many fans.

it's rating is 5/5 by every one, it is epic!

I would get this case over any case in the world!

That's great i'm glad you like it !
It looks to be a nice case.
but you're talking out your @#$!
It's cpu cooler clearance is no better then the CM690II or the 902 which are actually wider.
Tempest cooler clearance
134.5mm (with fan) well that narrows down the coolers.
159.5mm without fan
The bottom side panel fan in the CM690II can still be used with a 160mm tall cooler.
Good luck fitting a D-14 in the Tempest.
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products...
"It is big and has cable management holes as well as an opening to remove the CPU bracket,"
That's good but so do the other two.

The CM and Antec are not crap cases and both have larger interiors that will fit any length of gpu.
Can a Tempest fit up to 16" gpu's?
Both the CM690II and the 902 are very well-known for their airflow btw.
The CM690II has mounts for 10 fans 5 of them 140mm.
Get your facts straight before slagging very good cases!
Thanks for coming out!
Score
0
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 7:40:34 AM

davcon said:
That's great i'm glad you like it !
It looks to be a nice case.
but you're talking out your @#$!
It's cpu cooler clearance is no better then the CM690II or the 902 which are actually wider.
Tempest cooler clearance
134.5mm (with fan) well that narrows down the coolers.
159.5mm without fan
The bottom side panel fan in the CM690II can still be used with a 160mm tall cooler.
Good luck fitting a D-14 in the Tempest.
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products...
"It is big and has cable management holes as well as an opening to remove the CPU bracket,"
That's good but so do the other two.

The CM and Antec are not crap cases and both have larger interiors that will fit any length of gpu.
Can a Tempest fit up to 16" gpu's?
Both the CM690II and the 902 are very well-known for their airflow btw.
The CM690II has mounts for 10 fans 5 of them 140mm.
Get your facts straight before slagging very good cases!
Thanks for coming out!



The NH-D14 fits in it!
SO WHAT if they have the same clearance?- The tempest looks much better!
And according to me and every review I read, it has better air flow.
Sure they are almost the same, but the Tempest looks muuuuuuch better!
About the 17", since when are there graphics cards that long?
The 5970 fits in the case with space between it and the drive bay, and the card can go into an empty drive bay, meaning 17"= Possible.
By crap, I mean look like crap, they are ugly by todays standards.

AND why do you say I'm talking out of my A**, I'm talking facts, I never said that the other two cases didn't have those features

I mean they are ugly, they look like cases for school computers.
Score
0
February 11, 2011 9:03:55 AM

My two cents: the tempest looks god awful.

I'd have to recommend the old reliable: Antec 900/902. The largest issue with these two cases is if you're new to building they can be a bit fiddly when fitting hardware, other than that they're very good. They are known for their fantastic cooling within their price range, and work very well: the dust filters in the 902 are a great addition too, at the end of the day it's dust that kills hardware so that's a good addition. I can't see any doubt that it's the best case within that price range.
(and I like how it looks)
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 9:15:53 AM

@mn96 Just because you take a picture of the Tempest Evo to bed with you it doesn't mean everyone else feels the same.

I currently sleep with the Siverstone RV02 and the Corsair 650D but they aren't to everyones taste, I know that.

Personally I think the Evo looks ok but looks cheaper than the 900/902, I wouldn't go for the 900 even though its a good price it does need some cable management adjustments. The 902 is very nice but quite a bit over budget.

I would spend a little bit more on the HAF932, theres not a lot wrong with it and IMO is a nice looking case.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
0
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 9:32:03 AM

I like the HAF 932, worth going over budget, but is being a mid-tower case important?

AND, since the CM90II and Tempest EVO have similar specs, let the guy who wants to buy the case choose which one looks better. I don't think that the Tempest EVO is "awesome" , I just think that that Cooler Master is damn ugly, and the EVO looks better compared to the CM 690II.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about the Tempest, I want to know who else here thinks that the CM690II is just ugly.
Score
0
a c 164 ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 11:16:21 AM

cases at equal price points are often differentiated by minor features. get the case you like looking at. the evo, CM 690 and antec 902 v3 are all fine cases, personally I like the cooling and looks of the antec.
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 2:02:05 PM

I think the 690 and Evo are fairly similar looking.
Don't understand how you can like the Evo so much and dislike the 690.

They both seem like decent budget cases but I think they both look of lesser quality than the others.

Decisions, decisions. [:beanoslim:3]
Score
0
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 2:06:55 PM

The 690 has no window, it looks like a box, it looks like 2004, it looks like a case for a Pentium 4, it has no window, it just doesn't look like a gaming chassis
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 2:28:44 PM

So just out of interest whats your opinion of these beauties?






Score
0
a c 274 ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 2:35:25 PM

Quote:
The 690 has no window, it looks like a box, it looks like 2004, it looks like a case for a Pentium 4, it has no window, it just doesn't look like a gaming chassis

The CM690II ships with a window outside of N.A.
You can buy a window for it in N.A.
No one's saying the Tempest is a bad case.
Plus the OP says ." I don't really care if it has windows or leds or any of that"
Score
0
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 2:39:44 PM
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 2:41:27 PM

Guys seriously, the 690 is damn ugly, it looks like an Touchmate case.
Score
0
a c 274 ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 3:15:35 PM

patrick2099 said:
I am going to be building a new system once the fixed i5 2500ks come out and was looking for a recommendation for a case. I had originally decided on http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&cm_re=antec_nine_hundred-_-11-129-021-_-Product but would like to hear other opinions. I don't really care if it has windows or leds or any of that, but I wouldn't exclude one because it did. I am looking for something with good airflow that has nice space inside, because I have large hands. I would prefer a mid-tower. Thanks.

I think you'd be hardpressed to find a better case then the CM690II for the money.
The case is full of usefull features like a hdd hot swap bay on the top of the unit.
Has mounts for 11 fans,the front 140mm blue led fan can be turned off.
If you plan on adding a SSD it also includes a mounting bracket for it.
It's actually very spacious inside i've done two builds in them.
Has excellent cable management and is easy to work in.
It filters are also much easier to access then the 902's.
Here's an excellent review.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGvBjEmXJnI
Score
0
a c 164 ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 3:19:24 PM

i personally think windows make cases look like crap
Score
0
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 3:20:45 PM

Only if you have crap inside your case.
Score
0
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 3:22:10 PM

What ever, if the only difference between the two is looks, let the Patrick guy decide, he hasn't read any of this yet.
Score
0
a c 164 ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 3:29:27 PM

Quote:
Only if you have crap inside your case.


thanks for helping me clarify my opinion. next time i need the village idiot to do so, i will contact you again
Score
0
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 3:38:57 PM

ct1615 said:
thanks for helping me clarify my opinion. next time i need the village idiot to do so, i will contact you again


lol, stop, we are being so childish,

Here are our recommendations, say what you've got and let the guy decide,

Now stop, last year I argued with a guy till we reached a 100 posts.

Ok so stop, I know I started it but stop, I'm 14, how old are you?

Whatever just stop, Peace :) 
Score
0
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 3:46:40 PM

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay another recommendation of the Tempest EVO
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2011 4:17:33 PM

Quote:
Only if you have crap inside your case.


Like so.....

Score
0
February 11, 2011 5:19:47 PM

I think the antec 900 would be good to use. actually with 20 more buck just get the 902
Score
0
February 17, 2011 11:36:29 PM

Thanks for all of your opinions. I am still trying to make up my mind. I'm still waiting on the fixed Sandy Bridge motherboards, so I guess I still have some time to decide.
Score
0
!