Is there any better "bang for the buck" case than the NZXT M59?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I would have liked to get in on the Antec 300 for $44.95, but I think maybe this case (NZXT M59 for $44.99 after MIR and free shipping) has even more features and a look that's more to my liking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146058

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Is there something I'm missing about why I WOULDN'T want to buy this case at this price? Will there be better deals on better products before this time next year?

Solution
But sometimes what you want and need isn't always the cheapest option.

Buying a decent case is an investment and should last you years, I'd go for quality and ready to roll.

Antec902/HAF932Blue/HAF-X/Silverstone RV02/Corsair 650D, black inside, cable management and loaded with fans.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
@ abully-The TT V3 BE looks pretty good too...but I would need to do a case mod to put in a window...so more hassle. It also appears that it only comes with 1 fan...so I would want to but 4 more...increasing the cost.

@ ja9g08-I do like the mesh look a lot, but I wouldn't know where to buy that case...looks like it's in pounds not dollars. If I end up doing a case mod and adding a window, I'd like to find out how to do a mesh window...could end up needing a lot of upkeep too though.

@ beanoslim-the HAF912 looks rugged, but I'd want to paint the inside and back, add a window, and get 3-4 more fans...lots more hassle...and it costs $15 more. Almost the same arguments for the Antec...except just have to get 1 more fan. What fan model do they use?

Does anyone have a recommendation for 120mm led and 140mm led fans? Mostly concerned with in order...1.) looks/price, 2.) performance (ability to keep cool), 3.) noise.

Thanks for suggestions so far guys...I'm still leaning towards the NZXT though...especially if I can find an awesome deal on extra led case fans.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

Ya, I think it looks cool too, but...I would want to paint it, put in a window, and a bottom screen to turn my PSU upside down. I'd also want to add 1 120mm led fan. That = $69.99+$8 (fan)+a TON of work ($30ish for research, elbow grease, time, and parts seems on the cheap side of an estimate) = $108 + $8 (for led rear fan)=$116

If I didn't do any mods it would be $69.99+$8+$8=$85.99

I don't need to do anything to the NZXT to get it how I want it except add 2 140mm led top fans ($12ish/each) and 1 120mm led fan (maybe 2 if want the rear fan led too...$8ish/each). This would cost me at the most $45+$24+$16=$85 with no extra work and everything I want.

I don't know though...paying almost 1/2 the cost of the case for additional fans seems less than good value. I might try to hold out for a sale on the illusion (if it goes on sale again for $40-$55 I think I'd have to get it) and just do the mods...or get the NZXT and hope for a sale on good fans. Nothing is ever easy is it? I was all set to go with the NZXT...you guys were supposed to reinforce that, not make me totally question it. I'm so confused now.

I found 4 decent priced fans, but not sure at all about how they would look, function, or sound.

1. APEVIA CF12SL-UBL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan $6.79 each for 2 + $1.99 S&H.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998121

2. Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - (R4-L2R-20AC-GP) $8.35 each if you get free super saver shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0026ZPFCK/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

3. Thermaltake Thunderblade 120 mm 4 Led Case Fan 3 and 4 Pin AF0032 (Blue) $7.00 free super saver shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003819S8S/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

4. Yate Loon CLEAR 120mm Low Speed Silent Case Fan with Blue LED
http://cgi.ebay.com/120mm-Crystal-Case-Clear-Fan-4-Blue-LED-/140500923374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b681f3ee

But sometimes what you want and need isn't always the cheapest option.

Buying a decent case is an investment and should last you years, I'd go for quality and ready to roll.

Antec902/HAF932Blue/HAF-X/Silverstone RV02/Corsair 650D, black inside, cable management and loaded with fans.

Solution

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Well, with all the uncertainty...at least on my part...I have decided to wait for a while to see if there will be any better slam dunk, home run, undeniable best bang for the buck deals. (I'm hoping for the 300 Illusion for $40 again)

I recently bought the XFX 850W for $89.99 after MIR and promo...that's the kind of "sure thing" I'm looking for.

I have about a year or so before I plan on completing this build, so I do have some time to play with. Hopefully one of the cases mentioned here will have one of those super great slam dunk deals by then. Please feel free to message me if you run across any of these kind of deals...the only thing I have so far is the PSU.

I am looking for an external HD sooner rather than later...is that Seagate 1TB Expansion External Hard Drive ST910004EXA101-RK (USB 2.0 powered) http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/seagate-expansion-1tb-external-hard-drive/18936.aspx for $79.99 on Tom's front page a slam dunk deal or do you guys have something you'd recommend instead?

I appreciate all the suggestions though guys! Keep up the good work!

Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Just bought a HAF 932 tonight. Can't wait to set it up but have to wait for the wife to be gone tomorrow so I can sneak it in so when she sees it I can be like "What?....No this has always been here."

I got a Seagate expansion the other day, thought it was usb powered but turned up with a psu.

What I'd done was look at the spec for the 5400rpm drive then assumed the 7200rpm would be the same but no.

Seems the 5400 had a 2.5" drive and was usb powered and the faster 7200rpm was 3.5" and needs power.

Anyway the drive is very quiet, fast and well made, just double check the spec if you really need portability.

@Rip, thats a nice case, did you get the red or blue one? I did that trick with my last TV, took 4 days b4 she noticed. :na:

Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

I wanted the Blue lit one but Microcenter had a sale on the red. I didn't think it was worth $30 more to buy the Blue from Newegg. Besides, I added a blue tube to my Smilodon which will probably make its way into the HAF 932.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Gonna give out a best answer to beanoslim...it looks like he was pretty active and trying to help...even though I am hoping to catch the Antec 300 Illusion or CM690 II advanced on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.