Gtx 470 running slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

theKOOS

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
hi all,

just got a gtx 470 for my rig. It's not the fastest rig, but not slow either. Specs are:

intel 2.66ghz quad core
4 gigs of ddr2 667mhz ram

Although my gtx 470 is running significantly faster that my old 8800gt SLI setup, it is not coming close to the posted benchmark for some of the games I test. example:

resident evil 5 - 1900x1200, gfx settings to max using 4x aa (tested benchmark is 98 fps, mine is only 66fps)
Far Cry 2 - 1900x1200, gx settings to max with 8x aa, 16x af (tested benchmark is 66 fps, mine is only 47 fps)

any idea what might be bottlenecking my system? ram too slow? cpu can't keep up with gpu?

thanks all

Solution
The GPU is a very important factor but the CPU and RAM also play a vital role. If you have a mid range GPU then the CPU is not so vital as the GPU bottlenecks the game. However when you have one of the most powerful GPU's on the planet then the bottleneck is transferred to the CPU. The online tests are nearly always done with high end equipment across the board. Your current configuration is at least 40% slower than a standard Lynnfield i7. The 470 has room to move but your CPU does not. When comparing you can only really compare systems of the same spec.

theKOOS

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
i have always been under the impression that cpu/ram play a small part and that the gpu is the main factor. So as long as your rig is not anciently slow, there should not be a a big difference in performance for the games

So my question is, the current rig that i have fast enough to keep up with the gpu or is it bottlenecking it

Wamphryi

Distinguished
The GPU is a very important factor but the CPU and RAM also play a vital role. If you have a mid range GPU then the CPU is not so vital as the GPU bottlenecks the game. However when you have one of the most powerful GPU's on the planet then the bottleneck is transferred to the CPU. The online tests are nearly always done with high end equipment across the board. Your current configuration is at least 40% slower than a standard Lynnfield i7. The 470 has room to move but your CPU does not. When comparing you can only really compare systems of the same spec.

Solution

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Overclocking a Core 2 Quad to compete with an i7 is a total waste of time. The architecture of the i7 has resulted in a 40% drop in latency on the chip. Many motherboards overclock the i7 by default these days anyway. The i7 also has Turboboost and this assists single thread applications like many of the older games a great deal.

theKOOS

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010

thanks for the insight .... just have to update my system to a i7 then it seems

Status
Not open for further replies.