Core i7 870 or Core i7 870k???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hi :hello: ...I did have the Asus P8P67 Deluxe mainboard/motherboard,but I returned it to the place of purchase for that cougar point chipset problem :eek: ...Now since I have not got a motherboard for around 3 to 5 months at least with the cougar chipset (P67) :fou: ...I have decided to go with the P55 chipset mainboard for something to do,while these cougar chipset problems are resolved :pt1cable: ...The P55 chipset I bought was an Asus P7H55-M/USB3 & I am thinking of which of the core i7 870 or core i7 870k to install...I have got the core i7 870 already,but I was thinking of installing it into another motherboard that I have already for online use...Which of these two processors do you think is the better for overclocking and/or just sufficient for the period of 5 to 6 months until the cougar point chipsets return to working order...Stay with & just use the core i7 870 because it is not worth going up to the core i7 870k or buy the core i7 870k overclocking processor to check it out :pt1cable: ...Price difference is about $50.00 cents or more for the K series :wahoo: ...I have to decide soon as they told me that there is not many left of these K series models :sweat: ...

Solution
I don't know why you returned the P67 board so early, especially as you don't have anything to use the CPU in now - not like your SATA ports will burn out overnight, and even ignoring the defective ones you'll still have 4 of them (SATA II 0 and 1 and both SATA III).

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with either of those two and go i5 760 instead - Hyperthreading doesn't make much of a difference and you don't need a K series to overclock a Nehalem chip.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I don't know why you returned the P67 board so early, especially as you don't have anything to use the CPU in now - not like your SATA ports will burn out overnight, and even ignoring the defective ones you'll still have 4 of them (SATA II 0 and 1 and both SATA III).

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with either of those two and go i5 760 instead - Hyperthreading doesn't make much of a difference and you don't need a K series to overclock a Nehalem chip.

Solution

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi LePhuronn :hello: ...After eight days has gone past & no more posts have come up for the thread that I have started I have decided to give you the best answer to my question :) ...Athough I was hoping for some more posts to help me out,no more have come forth :cry: ...Anyway I have had not much experience at overclocking these core i7 & i5 LGA1156 socket pinset number processors,so I will have to do a little bit of research to find out the best way to go so as to not give an early death bed to my next core i7 760 processor when overclocking :pt1cable: ...Like I thought I would be too late to buy a core i7 875k processor if I wait for too long & my prophecy has come true,I phoned up today & there are no more left :cry: ...I phoned up 6 or more places & none to be seen :cry: ...Maybe there is a moral to this story to be learned & that is don't wait for too long before buying if it is rare so I won't get burned :pt1cable: ...

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Thanks for the vote lol

Overclocking the first gen i7 isn't too hard.

In simple terms, it's really all down to the BCLK. Use this in conjunction with CPU multiplier to get CPU speed and memory multiplier to get memory speed.

So, for example, BCLK 200, CPU multi 20 and memory multi 8 will give you 4GHz CPU and 1600MHz RAM.

There are some things you need to be aware of, like QPI frequency must be a minimum multiple of the memory frequency, and of course only Extreme Edition or K-series CPUs have an unlocked multiplier so you can only change it down, but I'll leave you to do that research.

Here's a start for you: http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-i7-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

You may also need to look into CPU voltage if you're gonna push your OC really high, or run as frugally as you can.

I didn't have too much of a problem - I was very behind the times when I built my first Core i7 920 rig and had NEVER done any overclocking before, but cranked it up to 3.6GHz in about half hour of fiddling (and was stable), and after a bit more in-depth reading hit the magical 4GHz stable (but a bit warm) on about 1.23v.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi once again LePhuronn :hello: ...Thank You very much for the information that you posted for me :ange: & have a nice day :) ...

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi once again LePhuronn :hello: ...I thought I would add something extra of interest for you ;) ...Did you know that in Sydney,Australia that quite a lot of the PC hardware online as well as the shopfront stores must be doing a thriving business ;) ...I tell you why,because at the same time as phoning up for the core i7 875k,I asked about the core i5 760 & they had run out on both of them :cry: ...Usually it would not take so long to buy the core i5 760 & a bit longer for the core i7 875k...I guessed right when I asked ;) & they also confirmed it,that because of the cougar chipset fault of the P67 mainboards/motherboards that the LGA 1156 based intel stock was being bought out quite fast & leaving no spare stocks of the Intel LGA 1156 around,but the P55 motherboards/mainboards are a bit more easier to get :pt1cable: ...

Status
Not open for further replies.