Can finnaly aford to upgrade from onboard video

cc130doc

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: early next week

BUDGET RANGE: 250$ Can Before Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming Mass Effect 2, dragon age, City of Heroes, video out put to 42” HD plasma TV. I just read that Netflicks is available in Canada now, or soon.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Onboard video.

Rosewill Green Series RG700-S12 700W

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6817182191

MSI NF980-G65 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130236

AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz 3

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6819103872

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: AM2 Trippl core Athalon 2

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.ca

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would prefer Nvidia because the I am supposed to be able to SLI the on-board video With a discreet video card

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes Later (Hoping within 6 months)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024 right now but I want to upgrade to a 23 or 24“ monitor in 4 weeks or less.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm slowly building y new system piecemeal. I bought the core 4 weeks ago now to get the graphics upto speed. I'm going to buy a new monitor next, going for a 22-24” HD one so the card has to be able to handle the higher resolutions. I looking for Nvidia right now because of the onboard video and the native chipset. I figure an Nvidia card will lead to less complications, but if that's not the case then I'm more than willing to use ATI.

Another point of budget, If it would be worth it I can have another 200 dollars saved up in three more weeks, but it will put off the monitor until after Christmas. I'd rather get the monitor sooner than later but if it will make a big difference and is worth the extra money than I can wait. The monitor I have is a 19” BenQ 1280x1020 and it works fine, it's just small and I'd like to upgrade.

And for SLI, if it would be better to get two lower end cards than one bigger one right now and sli them together than I'm up for that too.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Charles

P.S. There may be a delay in any responses from me. I'm in Thule Greenland right now and internet is sketchy.

cirslevin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
you have a lot of good options:
gtx460 768MB
gtx460 1G
HD 5830 1G
HD 5850 1G

if you will do multi-card, then gtx 460 would be better since your mobo is nForce already

If you can wait, there are two good reaosons for doing so.

Buying EITHER the graphics card OR the monitor isn't going to lead to much change in your gaming experience.

The other reason is AMD may well announce 6XXX cards while you save up, and (1) you may want one, (2) it may lower the price of existing choices.

If you must buy something now, the faster graphics card should allow gaming at higher settings on your current monitor.

At 1920, the 1GB 460 is the current buzz. The Palit OC'd card has gotten good reviews as a value, but remember that paying more for an OC'd card is "only" a guarantee your card will OC when you can do it yourself. That kind of choice is always important when on a budget.

cc130doc

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010

Is there an estimated time frame for the 6XXX series cards? There are alot of new games that I'd like to play but the onboard can't handle them. That's why the card purchase before the monitor.

Also, the on board video on my mother board is rated as an 8000 series i think. DOes any one know if I can use it for SLI as a PhysX board?

Charles

Then I'd buy a 460 now to play those games.

New HD cards are rumored for November, or before Christmas (google "AMD 6xxx video card" yourself). Then there's the issues of availability, price, time for it to effect the market price of other cards, and driver support.