Need some info on SSDs

kaysonwel

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2013
Hello,

I recently purchased a Samsung laptop (for reference: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP350V5C-T01US-specs), and would like to upgrade it with a SSD.

1. Now the specs say that the HDD is SATA2. Does this mean that if I buy a SATA3 SSD to put into the laptop, it will work at the speed of a SATA2 (because SATA3 is backwards compatible).

2. If I were to clone the hard drive of my old laptop (an HP) onto the SSD and then put that SSD into my new Samsung laptop, would it work? Or would it not because of the different drivers?

Correct.

Yes, it would work.

kaysonwel

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2013

Really? My cloned hard drive from my HP would work in the Samsung? I thought I would have trouble with the drivers being different. Can you explain why/how it would work? Thank you!

4745454b

Titan
Yes, it would work at SATA2 speeds.

Depends. If they are close in drivers then it might. There are step you can take such as loading windows default drivers before you clone that will help. (just flat remove the sound, lan, etc drivers. Change the hdd to windows default IDE.) That gives you the best change, but even then its not for sure.

Sorry, I was incorrect.

I should have said it might work if after connecting the cloned SSD to your Samsung, if you are able to boot into Safe Mode and then install Samsung's chipset drivers.

ram1009

Distinguished

If you put your HP HDD into your Samsung (cloned or otherwise) it won't work. Even if there weren't configuration issues (and there certainly are) your OS would never activate because it's tied the the MB of the HP.