RAID 0 with trim on SSDs

thanulee

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Hi, i read this http://www.anandtech.com/show/6161/intel-brings-trim-to-raid0-ssd-arrays-on-7series-motherboards-we-test-it
and i was wondering if i could use RAID 0 on my ssds. Sorry im noob, i dont know which 7 series motherboards are. I got ASUS P9X79 DELUXE and 2 intel 330 120gb ssd drives.
Can i do the RAID with this set up and have TRIM enabled? If i cant, is it wise to install only windows in the one ssd and all the programms to the other? I m doing 3d animation/post production and idk if it s wise to install 3dsmax or Adobe suite on a different drive other than C:\
Thanks in advance

I just want to point out that a total of 3 solid state drives were used for that review. One ssd was used for the operating system and two additional ssd's were used for the RAID array.

If you decide not to set up a RAID array, then it is defintely okay to install the operating sytem, software applications, and utilities on one drive. That is the typical configuration for a 128GB ssd.

I am not familiar with 3D animation work but if it is similar to photo and video processing, then you might want to consider using the second ssd as a scratch drive. Raw and finished data files can be stored on a hard disk drive.

thanulee

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011

Thank u for ur quick responses. Intel RST latest drivers are 11 something and on my motherboards drivers are 3 something (versions). Are these compatible or are totally outdated in ASUS site? thanx

thanulee

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011

Thank u, ya i always use another disk for scratch drive. U think though i wont have problems with DLL's and cracks if i install only windows and basic apps on one ssd and all my working programms (editing videos/photos) to the other one? I have 3 ssds anyways the 2 are the same, the 3d i can use for scratch.