Sign in with
Your question

Can i replace an integrated graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 23, 2010 12:04:55 AM

Hello, i have an integrated Mobile Intel(r) 4 Series Express Chipset Family and i need more graphics memory because i am a gamer and i get only 12 or less frames per second and i am not satisfied. i will go out and buy a new computer if i cannot replace my current graphics card.
a c 1387 U Graphics card
September 23, 2010 12:10:05 AM

It is not possible to upgrade a laptop. The card is a chip on the motherboard.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2010 12:27:57 AM

^^ What he said.

Laptop GPU's can't be upgraded by the general public, including us for the most part.

/sigh, if only.
m
l
a c 359 U Graphics card
September 23, 2010 3:51:23 AM

As I stated in other threads regarding this issue, only select laptops have the option of upgrading the video card. They generally costs $1800 - $2000 to begin with (at least) and not all of those will have that capability.

Additionally, laptop video cards are relatively rare and expensive. A few years ago they were actually a bit easier to find because I was looking into building my own laptop from scratch; laptop chasis, motherboard, video card cooling system... "the works". It was a little more expensive than buying a "moderate - high end" laptop, but it would have been to my own specifications.

I would not be surprised if a Mobility HD 5650 was selling for at least $200. As a comparison, the desktop HD 5670 can be purchased for approximately $65 - $75 after rebate.
m
l
!