UT2K4 on a laptop?

I was wondering if anyone out there is playing UT on a laptop, and if
so, is there a performance hit compared to a decent desktop such as my
2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive, Geforce 9800 Pro 128bit.

Thanks,

Dan
13 answers Last reply
More about ut2k4 laptop
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Daniel Damouth enlightened us with:
    > I was wondering if anyone out there is playing UT on a laptop, and
    > if so, is there a performance hit compared to a decent desktop such
    > as my 2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive, Geforce 9800 Pro 128bit.

    Well, that all depends on the specs of your laptop, doesn't it?

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:36:16 +0100, MeltDown
    <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

    >Daniel Damouth enlightened us with:
    >> I was wondering if anyone out there is playing UT on a laptop, and
    >> if so, is there a performance hit compared to a decent desktop such
    >> as my 2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive, Geforce 9800 Pro 128bit.
    >
    >Well, that all depends on the specs of your laptop, doesn't it?
    >
    >MeltDown

    DUH. :-)
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 06:20:20 +0000, Daniel Damouth wrote:

    > I was wondering if anyone out there is playing UT on a laptop, and if
    > so, is there a performance hit compared to a decent desktop such as my
    > 2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive, Geforce 9800 Pro 128bit.

    How can anyone answer that question? There are some laptops that would
    easily outperform your desktop, and some laptops that wouldn't even come
    close. Which laptop are you comparing to?

    BTW, there's no such thing as a "Geforce 9800 Pro".

    Linux Registered User #327951
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote in

    > Daniel Damouth enlightened us with:
    >> I was wondering if anyone out there is playing UT on a laptop, and
    >> if so, is there a performance hit compared to a decent desktop such
    >> as my 2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive, Geforce 9800 Pro 128bit.
    >
    > Well, that all depends on the specs of your laptop, doesn't it?

    Yes, so please provide them when you make your useful answer.

    -Dan
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 18:33:54 GMT, Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >Yes, so please provide them when you make your useful answer.

    When you give a useful question, someone might provide a useful
    answer. If a laptop has a lower spec than "2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive,
    Geforce 9800 Pro 128bit" then, amazingly, there will be a performance
    hit.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    I have an HP ze 5500 P4 2.8 Ghz laptop, installed UT2003 and played it. Not
    as good as on my Desktop, which is the same speed 2.8 Ghz. Laptop video some
    time just can't keep up with the game.
    On the laptop, draw back is the video (64Meg) and the low resolution screen
    (1024). Also, I should install more memory in my laptop (512meg at present).
    So, it's a lot more to it than CPU speed.
    I heard the new hyper threading technology recommended to play high end
    games on laptops.

    Julius

    "Daniel Damouth" <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I was wondering if anyone out there is playing UT on a laptop, and if
    > so, is there a performance hit compared to a decent desktop such as my
    > 2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive, Geforce 9800 Pro 128bit.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dan
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Dan C <youmustbejoking@invalid.org> wrote in

    > On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 06:20:20 +0000, Daniel Damouth wrote:
    >
    >> I was wondering if anyone out there is playing UT on a laptop,
    >> and if so, is there a performance hit compared to a decent
    >> desktop such as my 2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive, Geforce 9800 Pro
    >> 128bit.
    >
    > How can anyone answer that question?

    Obviously I meant "is there a performance hit ON SAID LAPTOP".

    > There are some laptops that
    > would easily outperform your desktop, and some laptops that
    > wouldn't even come close. Which laptop are you comparing to?

    As many as possile, I suppose. Was hoping a few people were playing on
    laptops.

    > BTW, there's no such thing as a "Geforce 9800 Pro".

    Radeon, of course. Thanks for your helpful answer.

    -Dan
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in

    > On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 18:33:54 GMT, Daniel Damouth
    > <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, so please provide them when you make your useful answer.
    >
    > When you give a useful question, someone might provide a useful
    > answer. If a laptop has a lower spec than "2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm
    > drive, Geforce 9800 Pro 128bit" then, amazingly, there will be a
    > performance hit.

    Well, the question is about comparing specs, and I'm asking because I
    don't know how laptops compare. They seem to have "mobile" video
    cards, slower hard drives, and undoubtedly some differences I'm not
    aware of.

    Sorry for confusing you.

    -Dan Damouth
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 00:09:13 +0000, Daniel Damouth wrote:

    >>> I was wondering if anyone out there is playing UT on a laptop,
    >>> and if so, is there a performance hit compared to a decent
    >>> desktop such as my 2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive, Geforce 9800 Pro

    >> How can anyone answer that question?

    > Obviously I meant "is there a performance hit ON SAID LAPTOP".

    Are you retarded, or just ignorant? There is no "SAID laptop". Your
    original post said "A laptop", and gave no specs. We can't compare an
    unknown laptop to your "SAID" desktop. Can we? How do you think that's
    possible?

    Linux Registered User #327951
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Suddenly, Daniel Damouth sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > I was wondering if anyone out there is playing UT on a laptop, and if
    > so, is there a performance hit compared to a decent desktop such as my
    > 2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive, Geforce 9800 Pro 128bit.

    "Generally", yes, there is a big performance hit, because laptops simply
    can't fit the high end graphics and cpus - heat and power consumption.
    That said, you can get laptops now that are just desktop parts crammed
    into a tiny space - pitiful battery life, but still portable.

    On my 2.4 P4 laptop, I get reasonable framerates on UT2004 with most of
    the details on low. It's not so good in fights though, when there are
    lots of people around to render. (My definition of reasonable is around
    30 - looks smooth to the eye, but alot of FPS players would demand more
    and would laugh at this).

    Worst thing about a laptop is control - make sure you take a real mouse
    with you!

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    "Daniel Damouth" <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I was wondering if anyone out there is playing UT on a laptop, and if
    > so, is there a performance hit compared to a decent desktop such as my
    > 2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive, Geforce 9800 Pro 128bit.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dan

    I run ut2k4 on my laptop, a Toshiba Satilite A70-DD100.

    Specs:
    40 gig hard drive (4xxx RPM?)
    512MB ram (-64mb)
    Radion 9000 Mobile, 64mb shared ram
    Celeron 2.8GHz
    15.4 widescreen display

    It plays deathmatches reasonably well. On Deck17, I get around 30fps average
    with 8 bots. Not great, but playable.

    Onslaught is another matter...it lags pretty bad at times.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    >>> How can anyone answer that question?
    >
    >> Obviously I meant "is there a performance hit ON SAID LAPTOP".
    >
    > Are you retarded, or just ignorant?

    I apologize if you are not a native English speaker. I asked if anyone
    was playing UT on a laptop, and if so, did they think there was a
    difference between the performance on their laptop and my desktop.
    Sometimes I forget how international usenet is.

    -Dan Damouth
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:37:55 +0000, Daniel Damouth wrote:

    >>> Obviously I meant "is there a performance hit ON SAID LAPTOP".

    >> Are you retarded, or just ignorant?

    > I apologize if you are not a native English speaker. I asked if anyone
    > was playing UT on a laptop, and if so, did they think there was a
    > difference between the performance on their laptop and my desktop.
    > Sometimes I forget how international usenet is.

    OK, we'll put you down for "ignorant".

    I speak English just fine, BTW.

    Linux Registered User #327951

Laptops Games Video Games