I was wondering if anyone out there is playing UT on a laptop, and if
so, is there a performance hit compared to a decent desktop such as my
2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive, Geforce 9800 Pro 128bit.

Thanks,

Dan

Meltdown

Daniel Damouth enlightened us with:
> I was wondering if anyone out there is playing UT on a laptop, and
> if so, is there a performance hit compared to a decent desktop such
> as my 2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive, Geforce 9800 Pro 128bit.

Well, that all depends on the specs of your laptop, doesn't it?

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:36:16 +0100, MeltDown
<meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

>Daniel Damouth enlightened us with:
>> I was wondering if anyone out there is playing UT on a laptop, and
>> if so, is there a performance hit compared to a decent desktop such
>> as my 2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive, Geforce 9800 Pro 128bit.
>
>Well, that all depends on the specs of your laptop, doesn't it?
>
>MeltDown

DUH. :)

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 06:20:20 +0000, Daniel Damouth wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone out there is playing UT on a laptop, and if
> so, is there a performance hit compared to a decent desktop such as my
> 2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive, Geforce 9800 Pro 128bit.

How can anyone answer that question? There are some laptops that would
easily outperform your desktop, and some laptops that wouldn't even come
close. Which laptop are you comparing to?

BTW, there's no such thing as a "Geforce 9800 Pro".

Linux Registered User #327951

MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote in

> Daniel Damouth enlightened us with:
>> I was wondering if anyone out there is playing UT on a laptop, and
>> if so, is there a performance hit compared to a decent desktop such
>> as my 2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive, Geforce 9800 Pro 128bit.
>
> Well, that all depends on the specs of your laptop, doesn't it?

Yes, so please provide them when you make your useful answer.

-Dan

Andrew

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 18:33:54 GMT, Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com>
wrote:

>Yes, so please provide them when you make your useful answer.

When you give a useful question, someone might provide a useful
answer. If a laptop has a lower spec than "2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive,
Geforce 9800 Pro 128bit" then, amazingly, there will be a performance
hit.

I have an HP ze 5500 P4 2.8 Ghz laptop, installed UT2003 and played it. Not
as good as on my Desktop, which is the same speed 2.8 Ghz. Laptop video some
time just can't keep up with the game.
On the laptop, draw back is the video (64Meg) and the low resolution screen
(1024). Also, I should install more memory in my laptop (512meg at present).
So, it's a lot more to it than CPU speed.
I heard the new hyper threading technology recommended to play high end
games on laptops.

Julius

Dan C <youmustbejoking@invalid.org> wrote in

> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 06:20:20 +0000, Daniel Damouth wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if anyone out there is playing UT on a laptop,
>> and if so, is there a performance hit compared to a decent
>> desktop such as my 2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive, Geforce 9800 Pro
>> 128bit.
>
> How can anyone answer that question?

Obviously I meant "is there a performance hit ON SAID LAPTOP".

> There are some laptops that
> would easily outperform your desktop, and some laptops that
> wouldn't even come close. Which laptop are you comparing to?

As many as possile, I suppose. Was hoping a few people were playing on
laptops.

> BTW, there's no such thing as a "Geforce 9800 Pro".

Radeon, of course. Thanks for your helpful answer.

-Dan

Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in

> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 18:33:54 GMT, Daniel Damouth
> <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Yes, so please provide them when you make your useful answer.
>
> When you give a useful question, someone might provide a useful
> answer. If a laptop has a lower spec than "2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm
> drive, Geforce 9800 Pro 128bit" then, amazingly, there will be a
> performance hit.

Well, the question is about comparing specs, and I'm asking because I
don't know how laptops compare. They seem to have "mobile" video
cards, slower hard drives, and undoubtedly some differences I'm not
aware of.

Sorry for confusing you.

-Dan Damouth

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 00:09:13 +0000, Daniel Damouth wrote:

>>> I was wondering if anyone out there is playing UT on a laptop,
>>> and if so, is there a performance hit compared to a decent
>>> desktop such as my 2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive, Geforce 9800 Pro

>> How can anyone answer that question?

> Obviously I meant "is there a performance hit ON SAID LAPTOP".

Are you retarded, or just ignorant? There is no "SAID laptop". Your
original post said "A laptop", and gave no specs. We can't compare an
unknown laptop to your "SAID" desktop. Can we? How do you think that's
possible?

Linux Registered User #327951

Suddenly, Daniel Damouth sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
> I was wondering if anyone out there is playing UT on a laptop, and if
> so, is there a performance hit compared to a decent desktop such as my
> 2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive, Geforce 9800 Pro 128bit.

"Generally", yes, there is a big performance hit, because laptops simply
can't fit the high end graphics and cpus - heat and power consumption.
That said, you can get laptops now that are just desktop parts crammed
into a tiny space - pitiful battery life, but still portable.

On my 2.4 P4 laptop, I get reasonable framerates on UT2004 with most of
the details on low. It's not so good in fights though, when there are
lots of people around to render. (My definition of reasonable is around
30 - looks smooth to the eye, but alot of FPS players would demand more
and would laugh at this).

Worst thing about a laptop is control - make sure you take a real mouse
with you!

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

Grant

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

"Daniel Damouth" <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> I was wondering if anyone out there is playing UT on a laptop, and if
> so, is there a performance hit compared to a decent desktop such as my
> 2.4 P4, 512, 7200rpm drive, Geforce 9800 Pro 128bit.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

I run ut2k4 on my laptop, a Toshiba Satilite A70-DD100.

Specs:
40 gig hard drive (4xxx RPM?)
512MB ram (-64mb)
Radion 9000 Mobile, 64mb shared ram
Celeron 2.8GHz
15.4 widescreen display

It plays deathmatches reasonably well. On Deck17, I get around 30fps average
with 8 bots. Not great, but playable.

Onslaught is another matter...it lags pretty bad at times.

>>> How can anyone answer that question?
>
>> Obviously I meant "is there a performance hit ON SAID LAPTOP".
>
> Are you retarded, or just ignorant?

I apologize if you are not a native English speaker. I asked if anyone
was playing UT on a laptop, and if so, did they think there was a
difference between the performance on their laptop and my desktop.
Sometimes I forget how international usenet is.

-Dan Damouth

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:37:55 +0000, Daniel Damouth wrote:

>>> Obviously I meant "is there a performance hit ON SAID LAPTOP".

>> Are you retarded, or just ignorant?

> I apologize if you are not a native English speaker. I asked if anyone
> was playing UT on a laptop, and if so, did they think there was a
> difference between the performance on their laptop and my desktop.
> Sometimes I forget how international usenet is.

OK, we'll put you down for "ignorant".

I speak English just fine, BTW.

Linux Registered User #327951