Best Board to Pair with new AMD FX Processors

mattkorz

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
In line with the release of AMD's new native 8-core Zambezi processors, I'm finally getting around to building a fresh rig. I haven't built a system in years, primarily because of cost and far too many companies flooding the market with sub-par mobos. But now I'm left with one burning question - what "brand" of motherboard would be best to pair with the 8-core a**-kicker FX-8150?

Years ago, I used ASUS boards extensively (4 rigs total), based on the fact that they had a fairly strong foothold in the mobo market, so the prices, features, and availability were all there. But there were always small issues that made me cringe. USB ports failing, raid controllers failing, flimsy heatsink mounts, and a not-too-friendly bios. Coupled with their horrendous customer and firmware support, I vowed to never buy an ASUS mobo again.

But now I'm left wondering what would be best. After filtering through dozens of forums, many people seem to agree with my dislike of ASUS, and it seems like Gigabyte has garnered quite a few positive votes/reviews. I've never used a Gigabyte board before, so I'm pretty apprehensive about it.

My primary criteria for this build is not exactly gaming-focused (although it will be a big part :D ). So when I say reliable, I'm not just referring to OC'ing; I'm constantly using my PC for engineering apps like MATLAB, LabView, uController programming, and even audio editing, so throughput is a HUUUUGE decider for me. I need a mobo that has adequate and reliable PCIe and HT communications, and a SB that isn't going to cook itself if I pop in a good quality sound card or other peripheral devices.

Based on that, I'm leaning towards Gigabyte. But I've got a few friends who swear by MSI, even though the majority of their reviews are poor. DFI boards seem to be more gaming focused that what I would need, and are a little out of my price range (but do they even support the FX processor yet?). ASRock keeps popping up as well, but I know nothing about them, and the majority of the reviews on Newegg lack useful details for their boards.

So, what do y'all think would be best? I'm getting sick of all the useless fanboy-esque reviews that keeping popping up. If you're going to rate/suggest a product, I would hope you have good supporting facts to back up your claims. And I would hope that applies here. If you suggest something, make sure you tell me why. Feedback is very appreciated =]

Thanks!

Please note, this is just my opinion....

Ok for what it's worth - im going to be building a bulldozer system myself (once it's available here...). It will most likely by the 8120 or the 8150.

Single CPU use is real crappy on the bulldozer. But we live in an age now where more cores matter than a really good single core CPU. It appears Bulldozer really excels at multi tasking and multi-threaded applications.

So there is a trade off - weaker single core performance, but a bit better multi core performance, which I don't mind at all.

As for motherboards (again, this is just for me, but for your info as well) i'm leaning towards an asus.

Check this out:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/10/11/amd_bulldozer_fx8150_desktop_performance_review

Scroll near the middle of the page and you can find which motherboards support BD.

Apparently the ASUS motherboard is the best out of the MSI GIGABYTE and asus.

Check out this article as well:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-gigabyte-pcie-gen3-mobo,13377.html

MSI called out Gigabyte on their PCIE interface.

Also i've used ASUS motherboards previously - and I had nothing but good experiences with them (i've built many computers).

I don't know all the components i'm getting, but those 2 are the first start.

sivalimy

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

any 990fx board will do the job,my reference is sabertooth, but for u

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/list.aspx?s=42&jid=7&p=2&v=26