Sign in with
Your question

Replace SSD now receiving "This copy of windows is not genuine"

Last response: in Storage
February 25, 2013 9:00:39 PM

Hello, I want to replace my 128g ssd with a larger 250g drive because I am running out of space on that drive. I am able to install the new drive (setup as F) and clone the 128g C drive to it.

It seems to be booting from it correctly (at least according to my BIOS setup) but when I try to remove the old C drive I get a "This copy of windows is not genuine". It is a valid copy (oem system builder purchased from Newegg) and only installed on this computer for the last couple of years.

Any suggestions or workarounds? I would re-install windows but afraid what it would do to all the data (songs, movies, pictures....) on my 1.5tb slave drive...

Thanks in advance for any help....
February 25, 2013 9:02:46 PM

I believe you should just be able to re-activate windows or do the thing where you activate it over the phone.
m
l
February 25, 2013 10:01:08 PM

Thanks for the reply but I can't even get to the point of being able to enter anything. I can key in my password and it says something like "configuring desktop" then a minute or so later the blue screen comes up with this in the bottom right hand corner:

Windows 7
Build 7601
This copy of windows is not genuine
m
l
Related resources
!